[MOD] The One Room Dungeon - Round 1 - RELEASED

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
wagtunes

Re: [MOD] The One Room Dungeon - Round 1 - RELEASED

Post by wagtunes »

While the dungeon was fresh in my mind, walked through it again. At 1.5 hours I made it to the snake puzzle where I stopped. I had absolutely zero desire to play snake. Didn't like the game when it came out in the 70s and don't like it any better now. Sorry, but that last room just kills this mod for me. Shame. On the second walk through the rest of it is actually pretty cool. I don't quite get the torch room. Pick up the key, remove a torch and get sent back out. Not much of a challenge but okay. Unless of course I'm missing something. Oh, and the library worked on the second run through so perhaps I missed something the first time.

So ultimately, only 2 complaints.

1. Too short.
2. Disappointing finish.

Other than that, the design, the programming, all superb. You guys are super talented. I still didn't find any super memorable rooms like "The Foundry", "One With Nothing", and of course the final room, but all in all, well done.
Komag

Post by Komag »

Glad you were able to finish it in the end. I wonder if there is some sort of processor dependent timing issue, or engine bug that is a relatively recent phenomenon, that didn't exist 8 or 9 years ago.
Finished Dungeons - complete mods to play
wagtunes

Post by wagtunes »

Komag wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:40 pm Glad you were able to finish it in the end. I wonder if there is some sort of processor dependent timing issue, or engine bug that is a relatively recent phenomenon, that didn't exist 8 or 9 years ago.
Glad you responded. I'm currently watching your Youtube tutorials again on scripting. I'm considering making another dungeon. My first one got deleted and I don't know how to get past some of those puzzles I made. Since it's been so long, I need a refresher course.

Still the best dungeon crawler game ever made, even without the dungeon editor.

Will be playing this for a very long time I'm sure.
Grimwold

Post by Grimwold »

Hi wagtunes!

Glad you were eventually able to complete the ORRR1!

As creator of only the second room in any ORRR dungeon I had nothing to go on regards what was expected.. it was pretty early on in Grimrock modding and I had only seen Neikun's room in the dungeon when I created mine. At the time I was pretty pleased with the idea and the scripting for my room.. but when I saw the later rooms..like "Mirror mirror on the floor" and "VVS" (vegetables vs Skeletons), I was blown away.

My kids are now playing Grimrock.. and my eldest (10 y/o) is working his way through ORR1 which brought back tons of memories!!
wagtunes

Post by wagtunes »

Grimwold wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 10:44 am Hi wagtunes!

Glad you were eventually able to complete the ORRR1!

As creator of only the second room in any ORRR dungeon I had nothing to go on regards what was expected.. it was pretty early on in Grimrock modding and I had only seen Neikun's room in the dungeon when I created mine. At the time I was pretty pleased with the idea and the scripting for my room.. but when I saw the later rooms..like "Mirror mirror on the floor" and "VVS" (vegetables vs Skeletons), I was blown away.

My kids are now playing Grimrock.. and my eldest (10 y/o) is working his way through ORR1 which brought back tons of memories!!
This is one amazing games. It is rare that a game holds my interest this long. Right now I have over 1,500 hours of playing time, which includes the editor. I can't say that about any game since the original Eye Of The Beholder series by TSR back in the 80s or 90s. Been so long I forget. And I can't play them anymore for obvious reasons. My PC doesn't even have a floppy disk drive anymore and I doubt Windows 10 would run any of those games.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

wagtunes wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 2:12 pm I can't say that about any game since the original Eye Of The Beholder series by TSR back in the 80s or 90s. Been so long I forget. And I can't play them anymore for obvious reasons. My PC doesn't even have a floppy disk drive anymore and I doubt Windows 10 would run any of those games.
8-)

https://www.gog.com/game/forgotten_real ... ection_one
wagtunes

Post by wagtunes »

Isaac wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 2:27 pm
wagtunes wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 2:12 pm I can't say that about any game since the original Eye Of The Beholder series by TSR back in the 80s or 90s. Been so long I forget. And I can't play them anymore for obvious reasons. My PC doesn't even have a floppy disk drive anymore and I doubt Windows 10 would run any of those games.
8-)

Do you have these? Do they run on Windows 10? How? Is it some kind of DOS shell like the original Duke Nukem that I have?
Grimwold

Post by Grimwold »

wagtunes wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 2:51 pm
Isaac wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 2:27 pm
8-)

Do you have these? Do they run on Windows 10? How? Is it some kind of DOS shell like the original Duke Nukem that I have?
I was also going to say they are available on GOG... I have them and just installed EOB 1... it uses Dosbox and loaded up fine on my Windows 10 PC.
Last edited by Grimwold on Mon May 24, 2021 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

...And it's all three of them, with clue-books. 8-)
They acquired the rights to sell it.

I have had the GoG versions for years, and their store page lists compatability with Windows 7 through 10.
Though it really means compatibility with DosBox DOS game emulator, which works fine on many OS platforms; this will run on Linux too.

wagtunes

Post by wagtunes »

Isaac wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 3:28 pm ...And it's all three of them, with clue-books. 8-)
They acquired the rights to sell it.

I have had the GoG versions for years, and their store page lists compatability with Windows 7 through 10.
Though it really means compatibility with DosBox DOS game emulator, which works fine on many OS platforms; this will run on Linux too.

I might still have my clue books but I'm not sure. EoB 3 is going to be particularly cool for me to play. When I bought it, it was so new and my PC was so old that my sound card wasn't compatible and I had to play it without sound. So this will be the first time I'll get to hear what EoB 3 sounds like.

EoB 2 was my favorite of the three. Fighting Dran at the end was a real challenge.