[Community] Grimrock Model Request Thread

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Isaac

Re: [Community] Grimrock Model Request Thread

Post by Isaac »

AFAIK, most are still here, but likely waiting for LoG2; and whatever format changes that may bring. Some are crunching to get mods done before LoG2 ships.
BuzzJ

Post by BuzzJ »

I, personally, Highly doubt that LOG2 will invalidate the 3x3 grid. So long as the proportions of the box are 3x3 everything is compatable.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

BuzzJ wrote:I, personally, Highly doubt that LOG2 will invalidate the 3x3 grid. So long as the proportions of the box are 3x3 everything is compatable.
LoG will have open sky in areas...; might even have multi-tile monsters ~who knows. Also, LoG2 might have more robust support for import of assets.

There are folks making models for it, on the assumption that ~come what may, it should still be importable.
odinsballs

Post by odinsballs »

Isaac wrote:
BuzzJ wrote:I, personally, Highly doubt that LOG2 will invalidate the 3x3 grid. So long as the proportions of the box are 3x3 everything is compatable.
LoG will have open sky in areas...; might even have multi-tile monsters ~who knows. Also, LoG2 might have more robust support for import of assets.

There are folks making models for it, on the assumption that ~come what may, it should still be importable.
well i gues for all static assets this should only be a matter of slight size adjustments, and re defining the material and object defenitions, at any rate i wager that 70% of all log1 custom assests, should be re-applyable to log2 in one or the other way, all things animated and heavily scripted might be a whole different story, at this point in time it would be pretty sweet if almost human could give some specific information on lets say object and material defenition method (i.e. possible changes in afore mentioned topics)
chaoscommencer

Post by chaoscommencer »

Hey guys, I'd like to contribute some ideas here if anyone's interested ;).

Wallsets:

Cave- low ceilings for tunnel areas, plus high ceilings for cavernous layer areas (like for dragons ;) ). Maybe some trickling water and/or waterfalls in it. I've found some cave-like wallsets here, but they were all WIP and/or never finished and/or no dl links included.

Golden temple- I don't know if you've come along any farther on this one yet Neikun, but what I saw last looked great! If you could even provide what you had to the community that would be great!

Miscellaneous/wall/floor props:

Chasm/Crevice assets- like an earthquake ripped your dungeon apart in areas, leaving a pit and open ceiling and walls going through the middle of a room (for example).

Large Pits (for temple and dungeon at least)- basically need a tile for each of the following: an area at the corner of the pit, an area at the side of a pit, an area in the middle of the pit (maybe just a transparent pit for that last one). Duplicates of those could be rotated to achieve most large pits. The only other ones necessary would be for long thin pits, which would have a pit tile with three sides (for an end of the pit) and a pit tile with only two opposing faces for one of the center areas.

Railings

Trap Doors that actually look like the tileset floor they accompany, but animate open like trap doors. These could maybe have some slight cracks in the mortar that holds the bricks together to reveal it (hopefully without being too obvious). It seems the current trap doors are a little too obvious... I also found a trap door someone had done that looked like a grating, but I don't know if it was ever finished. (Edit) I just found another thread where someone dynamically spawned a trap door on the square after an invisible pressure plate was stepped on. This is close to the same effect, but still not ideal.

Monsters:

(Real) Dragons!- I've found a couple people started on dragons like Leki, but none were ever really finished. There are a couple of monsters out there--reskinned lizards and wyverns--that were named dragons, but none really quite shout out DRAGON! ;)

Anyways, let me know if anyone likes any of these ideas or has any inclination to try to make them. I'd like to start modding myself, but don't know how yet, and have yet to read all the tutorials I've found.
Working on a dungeon that displays a massive collection of assets while sorting them into convenient reusable plugin format (concept from some of leki's mods). Will contribute some of my own models as well eventually and follow that with custom dungeon.
Leki

Post by Leki »

chaoscommencer wrote: (Real) Dragons!- I've found a couple people started on dragons like Leki, but none were ever really finished. There are a couple of monsters out there--reskinned lizards and wyverns--that were named dragons, but none really quite shout out DRAGON! ;)
The dragon is already finished m8, just wait for ORRR2 ;)
SpoilerShow
I'm the Gate I'm the Key.
Dawn of Lore
msyblade

Post by msyblade »

Indeed, Leki has put together an EPIC dragon, of the kind you refer to. Takes up multiple squares and has to stay hunkered down to not burst out of the ceiling. It will be in ORRR2, which has a hopeful release date of late this coming week or early next week (barring unforeseen catastrophe). The source will likely be released 2 or 3 weeks after the mod, so everyone can see how all 22 modders pulled off their tricks. A word of caution though: This project is very large and complex, and even the most seasoned modders will have trouble understanding some of the bells and whistles that make it tick. For instance, it is running three (3!) frameworks in cohesion to help keep it all glued together. I think you can find pics and possibly a vid in the ORRR2 thread, and I know the 2nd trailer ends with a quick shot of the dragon.
Currently conspiring with many modders on the "Legends of the Northern Realms"project.

"You have been captured by a psychopathic diety who needs a new plaything to torture."
Hotel Hades
chaoscommencer

Post by chaoscommencer »

I love your work leki! And yes, that was precisely the dragon I was talking about ;). Though there was another dragon I found in the forums here too, a skeletal one... I can't remember, had you done that one as well? That also looked really cool.
Working on a dungeon that displays a massive collection of assets while sorting them into convenient reusable plugin format (concept from some of leki's mods). Will contribute some of my own models as well eventually and follow that with custom dungeon.