[Models] Captivated by Captive

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
BuzzJ

[Models] Captivated by Captive

Post by BuzzJ »

Hello all,

After I got to taking a look at Grimrock's assets, I decided to make a flat plane the same size as Grimrock's walls, and after a bunch of subdivisions, extrusions and bevels I have an object that I think closely resembles the wall from the first dungeon of captive, and only requires textures an material assignments before it can be implemented. edit: the size is correct relative to other walltiles
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
If anyone could tell me where I could upload a zip containing this mesh and all the WIP precursers of the mesh to, I'd be happy to make it freely available to everyone.

Its a subject I feel passionate about, and I'm sure I'm not the only one, so if this interests anybody then I'd be happy if you would have it.
Last edited by BuzzJ on Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Neikun

Re: [Models] Captivated by Captive

Post by Neikun »

Is that scifi? It looks scifi!

I would try uploading on dropbox for now!
"I'm okay with being referred to as a goddess."
Community Model Request Thread
See what I'm working on right now: Neikun's Workshop
Lead Coordinator for Legends of the Northern Realms Project
  • Message me to join in!
BuzzJ

Post by BuzzJ »

I would do that, but how do i use dropbox to share things?

oh, nevermind, here we go

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ag4xl1h5lhwnmwt/zckRTIDI4k

just take the .obj files
hyteria

Post by hyteria »

hahahahahaha good job , what an old game for those who had an amiga or atari !

the first sci fi dungeon crawler , was very hard i remember all the part of droid to found haha
thx for this !
BuzzJ

Post by BuzzJ »

wow. I just realized that it was possible that there are people out there that hadn't heard of Captive. It was epic in so many ways. And it is probably still the most technically complex dungeon crawler to date.

here is a youtube link to a video of it in play I think I'll also do slight variations on this wall mesh, (the green orb thing[was it a light?], the electric socket, the supported wall, and the movable wall) since those are all relatively similar. I'll post those as I do them. After that will be the Pillar/Corner.

I don't plan on doing floors or ceilings as the standard grimlock dungeon floors and ceilings are basically identical to what I would do anyway. Feel free to disagree on that point, but I'm sure you will agree.
BuzzJ

Post by BuzzJ »

Okay, so after a long time I managed to get a proper UVmap around the wall. Then as a test I slapped a basic texture on it.
SpoilerShow
I also did meshes for a light and a power outlet do-dads. Working on UVmapping those.
hyteria

Post by hyteria »

gj!!!
BuzzJ

Post by BuzzJ »

Now I'm just having a bit of trouble figuring out hoe to use the model toolkit to properly import the model... Anybody know where I could look for help on the subject?
djoldgames

Post by djoldgames »

Hello Buzz,
nice tip with this classic!
wow. I just realized that it was possible that there are people out there that hadn't heard of Captive.
This is not true ;-) This one is still in my oldgames collection (PC version):
SpoilerShow
Now I'm just having a bit of trouble figuring out hoe to use the model toolkit to properly import the model... Anybody know where I could look for help on the subject?
So you can read the GMT thread first at viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3325, I know there is over 50 pages but helpful.

There my procedure I using at creating the wallset (static objects):
- create the textures - diffuse/normal/specular maps (for some models I create the texture first, for others the model first)
- make model in blender with proper size (3x3 "floor" units)
- assign the UV to the model
- export model from blender to COLADA (.DAE) format
- import model to GTM using assimp importer, check only two checkboxes: "Flip Winding Order" and "Flip UVs". I don't need to resize, rotate or rename any nodes which have the right names as in blender (like "text" used for the walltext)
- set the material if it's necessary
- RECALCULATE TANGENTS - it is essential for right Normal maps (Model -> Recalculate tangents)
- Save as .model
- create records for new material and object in game scripts
- test in Grimrock Editor, find the bug and repeat... ;-)
BuzzJ

Post by BuzzJ »

Thanks for responding DJ, I was wondering if you could elaborate on this part "- set the material if it's necessary", everything else is clear.

I have working texture in Blender, but it doesn't show up in Toolkit no matter what i set in the materials tab. Could you provide clearer detail on this step?

edit: Pic of the green orb(light) and power outlet do-dads in blender, which are seprate objects.
SpoilerShow
Last edited by BuzzJ on Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.