[complete] Skull wallset

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Isaac

Re: {WIP} Skull wallset

Post by Isaac »

That looks like Destiny Knight.

"A.k.a Bard's Tale 2"
Asteroth

Post by Asteroth »

Alright, I need a little help. There is only one final piece I feel is neccessary.(though several preferable ones remain)
Walltext.
I have made the texture, but of course that doesn't help. It needs a "text pivot node" and with any nodes of existing models lost in blender I can't supply one.
I may be wrong, I haven't actually tried exporting a walltext piecee and modelling it, but I'm pretty sure any nodes would go. What should I do?
I know there must be some solution.
I am the God of darkness and corruption.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4250
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Asteroth wrote:Alright, I need a little help. There is only one final piece I feel is neccessary.(though several preferable ones remain)
Walltext.
I have made the texture, but of course that doesn't help. It needs a "text pivot node" and with any nodes of existing models lost in blender I can't supply one.
I may be wrong, I haven't actually tried exporting a walltext piecee and modelling it, but I'm pretty sure any nodes would go. What should I do?
I know there must be some solution.
It's possible to add your own node in Blender, and give it the same name. Then import it to the GMT. I've done it before; I replicated the entire Ogre skeleton... I just could never guess the correct weights, but the wall is static; it shouldn't be a problem.

Here is the Ogre, reshaped into a minotaur (with the nodes):
BuzzJ

Post by BuzzJ »

Tell me, did you make new animations, or did you use blender to literally re-shape the faces so the animations would be unaffected?
djoldgames

Create Walltext

Post by djoldgames »

With the new version of GMT it is very simple.
I do this to create new walltext objects:
  • creating new objects in blender, one is a wall replacement and second for the walltext texture
  • assigning the UV
  • selecting this two objects and exporting as OBJ (check the right export settings)
  • importing to GMT using assimp
  • there are some nodes with 2 meshes, select the node with walltext mesh and change its name to "text", update node
  • if it is necessary, change the bounding box for walltext (the clickable area)
  • save .model
of course you can create only one object with the "text" node, if you don't want to replace the wall.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

BuzzJ wrote:Tell me, did you make new animations, or did you use blender to literally re-shape the faces so the animations would be unaffected?
That was partly the idea, but it didn't work; I did not expect a flawless result of course, but the result was that it exploded (all of it was mangled except for the axe), but each node did affect the mesh.
The axe was the only part that was 100% weighted to one node; and so it was not deformed when it moved.
Asteroth

Post by Asteroth »

Grr, can somebody help. How would I add a text pivot node? (if that is what it requires, it's just what the dungeon editor says is missing.)
I googled nodes in blender, hell a good dozen different search terms, the only thing I get is the same tutorials about texture nodes. Most of them reference that there were previous uses for nodes and that this is a "powerful new system" but such node-y pasts are long forgotten to both the tutorial world and the manual. I am, of course, sure that there is something I am missing here. But I couldn't make sense of the tutorials anyway. So how do I just add a node with the name the editor wants?
Asteroth

Post by Asteroth »

Ok got help. Problem now solved.
Asteroth

Post by Asteroth »

Lo and behold, it is complete.

It lacks secret buttons right now. Despite people having wonderful ideas, my talents as a modder are rather limited.
However unlike my corrupt wallset this has everything else you need right at the outset. Well don't keep reading this message follow the link at the bottom and get to your crypts.

http://grimrock.nexusmods.com/mods/183/
Asteroth

Re: [complete] Skull wallset

Post by Asteroth »

AAAGH! I forgot stairs!
Oh well. Enjoy for now. Will fix this ASAP.

Edit: And What? Secret doors require a gate node it seems.