[MOD] Menace of Mangar v1.1

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
lurker

Re: [MOD] Menace of Mangar

Post by lurker »

Hey, thanks for answering some of the questions before!
flowbee321 wrote:This is a FUN mod! It ranks for me among the best for puzzles.

At the Tarjan level:

To get into the library,
SpoilerShow
I assume I need to use the Fibonacci sequence somehow, and it involves running around the level. I tried going back and forth between top hallway/bottom hallway and hitting the faces with the spell they face. I did 1,1,2,3,5 (1st one at top, 1st one at bottom, 2nd one at top, 3rd one at bottom, etc) but it didn't work. This is time consuming for trial and error! Maybe another clue please?
SpoilerShow
Starting at the center, when you hear the click, move in the pattern of Fibonacci until you arrive at the library. You will hear clicks as you proceed to indicate you are on the right path.
flowbee321 wrote: Regarding back at the riddle level prison area:
SpoilerShow
I got some of the gates open but #1 and #4 would not open for me. I got the red key so I was able to progress - but am I missing anything other than xp/items there?
SpoilerShow
Hmmm, I'll check again if I got these correct. It is possible that my arrangement of 1-4 doesn't match with yours but sometimes the arrangements coincide so that they would work for you. The most important thing here is the key. Otherwise just some battles and food and sandals.
Numberouane

Post by Numberouane »

Hi

Need some help please :) about level 1 & 2
SpoilerShow
Im still on level 1. I restart from scratch because I lost the track of pressing the buttons on walls. Now, with more methods, here are my questions :
- how to get the sling in the NE corner?
On level 2
- what the meaning of "better be good than lucky puzzle" on level 2?

What did I missed?
Thanks for the mod, I like it :)
flowbee321

Post by flowbee321 »

Tarjan level:

Still stuck trying to get into the center Tarjan area.
SpoilerShow
Clue says I must grace the altars. But with what? I thought the wall texts would help - "ocean milk", thought that would be a water flask, "Battle of the gods" would be Ancient Axe,
but no idea on the other two. Am I even close? Man these are tough.
lurker

Post by lurker »

flowbee321 wrote:Tarjan level:

Still stuck trying to get into the center Tarjan area.
SpoilerShow
Clue says I must grace the altars. But with what? I thought the wall texts would help - "ocean milk", thought that would be a water flask, "Battle of the gods" would be Ancient Axe,
but no idea on the other two. Am I even close? Man these are tough.
You should have found a note on that level that said something to the effect of let your mages guide you
lurker

Post by lurker »

Numberouane wrote:Hi

Need some help please :) about level 1 & 2
SpoilerShow
Im still on level 1. I restart from scratch because I lost the track of pressing the buttons on walls. Now, with more methods, here are my questions :
- how to get the sling in the NE corner?
On level 2
- what the meaning of "better be good than lucky puzzle" on level 2?

What did I missed?
Thanks for the mod, I like it :)
SpoilerShow
For the sling see my last post on page 3. For the lucky one... have you entered the room yet? Great luck is needed there.
Numberouane

Post by Numberouane »

Hi

ok i got it!

One general comment so far is the tips/puzzles. it is clearly unbalanced from my point of view... For the sling puzzle, no tip or it is not clear at all...

Puzzles are really good and tough and difficult but there is a lack of tips or guidance for some of the puzzles...

Just my humble personal comment

I go back playing!

:)
lurker

Post by lurker »

Numberouane wrote:Hi

ok i got it!

One general comment so far is the tips/puzzles. it is clearly unbalanced from my point of view... For the sling puzzle, no tip or it is not clear at all...

Puzzles are really good and tough and difficult but there is a lack of tips or guidance for some of the puzzles...

Just my humble personal comment

I go back playing!

SpoilerShow
Well, there is some wall text that says that there is more than meets the eye and you get the pit close sound each time. But...
... you are not alone in those regards. I've already added some additional clues. I'm waiting for some more feedback and will release a new version. Thank you for your comments. I really do appreciate them!

BTW, secret breakdown per level:

1 - 4
2 - 6
3 - 5
4 - 5
5 - 9
6 - 7
7 - 4
8 - 3
9 - 5
Numberouane

Post by Numberouane »

You see I did not make the link between this message & the sound and this puzzle...
SpoilerShow
for some puzzles to be solved in room, it is fine. The // is perfect.
for those where clues are far from puzzle itself, should be good to have something reminding u about the tips u found...

Im not saying it is easy. In fact it is not :) finding balance between tips & spoilers is a true challenge, especially when the puzzles
are as good as ur and for sure u want players to find them...

I hope u will be "good & lucky" for this part.
jimirenton

Post by jimirenton »

Hi there,
I need help with the "point to Hell" riddle ! I tried so many combinations that I don't know what to do !
The obvious was to try to make arrows pointing up but it doesnt seem to be that.
flowbee321

Post by flowbee321 »

I got this one after some trial and error.
SpoilerShow
Try different ways to make arrows. "hell" isn't exactly directly due north.
jimirenton wrote:Hi there,
I need help with the "point to Hell" riddle ! I tried so many combinations that I don't know what to do !
The obvious was to try to make arrows pointing up but it doesnt seem to be that.