[Release] The Mine of Malan Vael

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Komag

Re: [Release] The Mine of Malan Vael

Post by Komag »

I was sorta thinking of replaying Mine of Malan Vael, so maybe this update will be my excuse :)
Finished Dungeons - complete mods to play
vegetaman

Post by vegetaman »

Komag wrote:I was sorta thinking of replaying Mine of Malan Vael, so maybe this update will be my excuse :)
Adding this to my "need to be played" list. Looks like a good one.

EDIT: ack, the steam workshop version is down? Hopefully just due to the update and will be back soon?
Komag

Post by Komag »

Steam version down for me too.
Phitt

Post by Phitt »

Hmm...that's strange. Steam downloaded the updated version directly after updating for me. Hope it's only a problem with the Workshop. Will unsubscribe, delete and subscribe later today to see if it still works for me.

EDIT: Just did that and the Workshop downloaded the mod without problems. Hope it was just a problem with the Workshop when you tried and everything is ok now.
Komag

Post by Komag »

Still getting the problem. When I check out the page on Steam I get this:
Sorry!
An error was encountered while processing your request:

The item is either marked as hidden or you do not have permission to view it.
It seems like too much of a coincidence that this happens only after your update - perhaps you accidentally changed a privacy setting or something? There is a "change visibility" setting, or maybe something else is going on.
Phitt

Post by Phitt »

I had to agree to their new Steam Workshop Contribution agreement to make the file visible for some reason. Didn't see that. Mod should be available now. And I'm Valve's slave (probably, didn't read any of it).
Komag

Post by Komag »

working great now :)
bongobeat

Post by bongobeat »

very nice mod! congratulations! :)
Komag

Post by Komag »

I've commented at Nexus and Steam, but wanted to also write a note here...

I just finished playing The Mine of Malan Vael again, and it was pure fun! I absolutely enjoyed the experience start to finish, and found 14/15 secrets this time (after combing the source I found the missing one
SpoilerShow
- secret 7, a hard to see button near the long "bridge"
Kudos on creating such a fine masterpiece Phitt, it's just ooooozing with goodness. For the tile set it's just the right length (I don't think I would want 12 levels of mines).

I REALLY hope you decide to continue work on your forest tile set, or another one (maybe you secretly have something in the works, one can hope!) :D
Phitt

Post by Phitt »

Thanks for the comments on Nexus and Steam! I know the story/writing is goofy, but I always thought Dungeon Crawlers don't really need a story other than 'make it through the dungeon and kill the bad guy'. So I made a bit of fun of it. Maybe if Grimrock 2 has more modding options like cut scenes, NPCs, voice acting etc I'll make a better story next time...or at least something that deserves to be called a story.

I knew if someone would miss one secret it would be that one. I wanted to have all kinds of secrets, some that are very easy to find, some that you can find if you explore a bit more and some that are very hard to find. I thought the secret you missed and the one in the small room where the ogre starts are possibly the hardest to find secrets.

And yes, I also think a single tileset gets boring after a while. I tried to give each level a unique feel (regular tileset on level 1, chasms on level 2, lower part of chasms on level 3, fire/volcanos/steam on level 4), but it's still the same tileset. 5-6 levels are the maximum I would ever do with a single set, just like in the original game.

I won't make another full-blown mod for Grimrock, but I'll certainly be back for Grimrock 2. And I still have some leftovers I made that I want to release for Grimrock 1, just need to polish them a bit.

And of course I want to play through Back to the dungeon and Master Quest, started already.