[Release] The Mine of Malan Vael

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Komag

Re: [Release] The Mine of Malan Vael

Post by Komag »

that's the old version (IIRC)
Finished Dungeons - complete mods to play
bongobeat

Post by bongobeat »

Hi there!
I have just finished this mod! Very good job, it's small, but it is one of the best I have ever play. I liked the food management. I got enough food until the end, how do you manage this like that? I was'nt carrying tons of food! Lucky?
Interesting riddles, I have to cheat for 2 of them (youtube walkthrough) for the pit sequence and the mhhh torchs with "midnight to noon"

The end makes me crazy with the balista, reload, reload, reload... enough! :D

awesome mod! thx a lot!
My asset pack: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=9320

Log1 mod : Toorum Manor: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=5505
Grock

Post by Grock »

Great stuff, really enjoyed it. Hope you make another sometime :D
MostlyHarmless

Post by MostlyHarmless »

Just completed the Mine of Malan Vael and would highly recommend to everyone who has finished the original game and wants another short adventure with tougher fights and puzzles. Thank you for the dungeon!

It took me about 7 hours (but food was no problem), found 12/15 secrets and 3 skulls.

What I liked:
-this is a high quality dungeon. it could easily have been released as an official add-on for the game imo.
-some puzzles were tough, but mostly fair
-new items, new tiles set
-faster leveling and lots of skills books works well for the shorter adventure

What I'd like added:
-quick action bar that is, for example, present in the latest version of the master quest.

Problems:
-there's a few puzzles i had trouble with even after figuring out what to do:
SpoilerShow
1. the one that i think requires you to recognize musical tones from rooms to match them with a North, S, E, W riddle. I didn't want to start recording the tones to compare and I'm not good with recognizing/remembering musical notes so I just had to try out all 24 combinations of the riddle (of course it was only the second to last one that worked).
2. on the first level there's a puzzle that requires stepping quickly on pressure plates to enter through 3 gates. even after I figured out what to do I physically could not do it fast enough on my computer (until I used the cheat engine to slow it down to 0.8 - then I did it on first try). I also had lots of problems with these fast, timed puzzles in the original game, and I'm starting to think that somehow the game runs too fast on my computer because this puzzle is obviously not that hard and I've seen people do puzzles like these on youtube with relative ease and it doesn't even seem like they have to nail everything perfectly like I do on my computer. I dunno. But yeah, maybe you could slow the doors down a bit in case there are differences in how the game runs on different machines.
-i missed 3 secrets; I think a secrets guide would be great for people who play the dungeon in the future; usually I like to play through the levels on my own, but then check afterwards to see what I missed (in case there was something important).
Other notes:
SpoilerShow
i used a pure fire mage this time, and i liked him more than my air/ice mage from the original game (lots of damage, except against fire enemies, but I had the fire shield for them). ogre was no problem for my sword fighter, unarmed rogue, missile rogue and fire mage (i understood the hint that you were supposed to ice bomb him and run, but that looked a lot harder than just killing him). arena battle was tough (mage died), and final battle was tough (mage died again), and the contaminated room was pure hell until I figured it out with one surviving member (fighter with serpent bracer) - and even then it took all my potions, and made we want to rage quit because it just felt unfair. but once i knew what to do and where everything was, i reloaded and re-did it without too much trouble (mage died again of course). and man was i pissed off after leaving that area and heading over to kill the uggardians when two of those poison shooting baby-herders flanked me from nowhere.
Zo Kath Ra

Post by Zo Kath Ra »

Help, please :D

I'm in "Level 3: Old Underground Mine"
SpoilerShow
(the southern part that you reach by falling down from "Level 2: Old Mine".
I've found 3 pressure plates, but putting rocks on all of them didn't seem to do anything.
I've also found 3 teleporters, and 2 buttons that raise the portcullis on 2 of them.
The westernmost teleporter is still inaccessible.

Also, there are two portcullises (facing north and south) in the center of the area that I haven't been able to open.

Before you tell me everything, I'd just like to know this: Is the area "self-contained"? (can you open the portcullises without going into another area?)
Komag

Post by Komag »

This is sort of a self-contained area, but the area consists of activities and puzzle stuff on BOTH level 2 and 3, so think three-dimensionally
Finished Dungeons - complete mods to play
Kirill

Post by Kirill »

Komag wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:57 pm Players like me go back a lot. We explore and re-explore, we swing at walls and tables and mine carts and crap, which takes food energy. And especially in this amazing dungeon, we march around and gawk! So I found myself spawning in a few snail slices. If I had found the snail room on lv 1 before, I would be satisfied that I can load up a little bit (but not too much, for weight), and always go back if need be, so that would solve it enough for me.
What is the point of food meter if "you can always load up a little bit and always go back if need be"? Why even include food meter in game?

I wish for LoG3, if it ever appears, for hard difficulty there is 0 respawning food (so you need actually conserve and manage your food) and for easy/normal there is no food meter at all.
Kirill

Post by Kirill »

Finished it, awesome mod! Enjoyed.