[2nd partial release] Keys, Gems, Locks and Doors

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Neikun

Re: [WIP] Keys, Gems, Locks and Doors

Post by Neikun »

Ooh pretty images. I like the cross lock, but I am unsure where a keyhole might go for it.
I think it would make an even better turn-style 0:
"I'm okay with being referred to as a goddess."
Community Model Request Thread
See what I'm working on right now: Neikun's Workshop
Lead Coordinator for Legends of the Northern Realms Project
  • Message me to join in!
Batty

Post by Batty »

(mostly repeating your thoughts)

Swirl lock looks done to me.
Skull w/cross bones is excellent but the keyhole is too narrow, the key needs to turn somehow.
Skull looks done.
I would make the keyhole on the star smaller & enlarge the lock a little.
A cylinder for the cross lock would be really cool.
Mostly, I'd make sure they all look like the key could turn in the lock (or maybe it does another action).
All textures look ready to me except round key (has a repeating square pattern on it) but that might be the image.

Very impressive! 100 gems would be awesome, I'd fill a room with them & make it inaccessible. :lol:

The lock designs fit perfectly in the game!
LordYig

Post by LordYig »

Some update with this resource.

I have nearly finished the gems, at least I have finished the icons.
Aligning the icons so that they do not look too weird side by side and are properly centered was hell !
I have made a custom grid that I will share soon in order to help with proper icon alignment in a 1024x1024 graphic atlas, especially if you want the icon to not overlay the gui inventory frame.
I only need to make 7 different specular maps, one by gem cut model, those maps will be shared among all gems.

I have now 7 gems cut model with 18 different color variations for a total of 126 different gems.
I don't know if it is really useful to have this much but I have made them anyway.
I will use 7 of the gem materials for sets of gem decorated keys and locks.
Since the models will share the same gems material and uvw mapping, there will be 119 more variations available for the key/lock sets for anyone willing to make them.

For those wondering the gem type and name here they are : Almandine, Amethyst, Aquamarine, Beryl, Citrine, Diamond, Emerald, Peridot, Rhodolite, Ruby, Sapphire, Topaz, Tourmaline. Some have color variations others only have a single one. Precious gems like Ruby and Emerald have a single color, semi precious gems like Beryl and Aquamarine have at least two of them.
Here are some updated shots :
In order, yellow and orange variations then red, violet and magenta variations followed by green variations and finally white, black and blue variations.
SpoilerShow
Image | Image | Image | Image
Same groups of gems but in the dark with no light source to show the glow effect.
SpoilerShow
Image | Image | Image | Image

A group of gems two tiles away. The glow effect is visible up to 8 tile away.
I am also working on the locks and I was not totally happy with the metal textures so far, so I am in the process to remake them. I will also update the keys with the new metal textures I am making. Here is an example with the Star shaped lock which is finished :
SpoilerShow
I have also worked a bit on wooden doors.
I have tried to make a door model with detailed iron works on it but it does not work well in the editor while making the model heavier poly wise. The added details in the model ends up being totally useless and not improving the look of the door that much, so I have decided to bake all the details in the texture.
Here are some shots of the WIP wooden doors, the wood especially needs some more work and details.
The finished doors will have more detailed wood panels and a specific model with a thick metal frame.
SpoilerShow
Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image
Thanks to Phitt I have managed to make working single doors opening down, left and right. I could have only made a door opening left and let it be rotated in the editor to change to opening direction but it was simple to make two different one so I went ahead. I did not manage to make double doors opening in different direction yet but I have plans to make some tests with this.

The doors in action :
SpoilerShow
More to come...
msyblade

Post by msyblade »

I really, really like both the look AND functionality of the doors. Great work!
Currently conspiring with many modders on the "Legends of the Northern Realms"project.

"You have been captured by a psychopathic diety who needs a new plaything to torture."
Hotel Hades
Neikun

Post by Neikun »

Three days ago I was attempting to get doors sliding left or right to work. I'd love to know how you did it :3
  • Message me to join in!
LordYig

Post by LordYig »

Neikun wrote:Three days ago I was attempting to get doors sliding left or right to work. I'd love to know how you did it :3
When you know how it is done it is quite easy in fact.
Phitt pointed me in the right direction.

The following description are valid for my custom model, I do not know if this is valid for any model, but it is to explain the general idea.

In order to make this working, you have to rotate the root node of the model with the GMT.
If I remember correctly you start by rotating the root node Y-Axis 90° or -90°.
After this if your model is not oriented on his side reload your model and change the rotation over the Z-Axis instead.
Then you rotate the X-Axis 90° or 270° to change the orientation of the sliding, left or right.
That's all for the root node.

The mesh of the model will also rotate with the root node so you will have to rotate the mesh node afterwards to place it correctly.
If you select the mesh node, the mesh orientation and rotation are totally independent from the root node so you can change it anyway you want it doesn't matter. Just orient the mesh correctly. Enabling the Origin Gizmo in the render options helps a lot.

This is kind of a trial and error process. All change will not work for every model in the asset pack depending on how it has been made and oriented in the first place. If you need any more help feel free to ask !
Komag

Post by Komag »

very nice work, this will definitely get used!
Finished Dungeons - complete mods to play
Pandafox

Post by Pandafox »

oh ! I missed that before !
Really good work ! I think I will use if you can finish soon ;)
LordYig

Post by LordYig »

Quick update with a clean-up of the whole post for outdated screen shots.

I have made the specular maps for the gems, that was quick texture work for a lot of lua editing !
The specular map lessen the reflection on the model a bit but I am too lazy to update the gem screen shots right now !

The keys and locks are also done !
I have remade all textures nearly from scratch for the locks while updating the keys textures in the same process and with the same texture base.
Please refer to the first post for screen shots.

But, I'm still not too confident over this work...

Does the final textures and design are OK ? :?
Does the worn, rusted and scratch look of the new textures looks fine ?
Does the color tint on the gem locks is fine ?
Do I need to make colorless and more neutral texture available for the gem lock ?
(meaning grey metal ones)

On another topic, does my plan to split the pack in three files is a good idea ?
Should I also make a single archive with all resources in it ?

I'll try to post new shots for the gem alcoves (WIP) as soon as possible.
Once done, I'll try to release the two first pack and I'll focus on the doors next.
Neikun

Post by Neikun »

Hey, Yig.
I would like to say it is probably best to release these mods as three different packs as they are each a specific flavor -er so to speak.

I would like to request in advance that I be given permission to post your door mods on my Custom Door Mods thread.
Up until recently, I had forgotten I had made the thread, haha.
  • Message me to join in!