Mod [Complete] The Rise of Simon

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Numberouane

Re: Mod [Complete] The Rise of Simon

Post by Numberouane »

I will play and try to go till the end ...

I will post some feedback too

:)
Numberouane

Post by Numberouane »

So far so good. I just got a game crash when I tried using a skull by right click on it.

Are there any updated version some where as the one im playing is buggy with door (same as phitt reported already).

EDIT : I dL from nexus now as I was plugged on steam. Hope this one is better.

Please let me know.

Thanks
:)
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

Finished it in about 4 hours with my post-MQ Toorum. Yet i'm not happy because I had to cheat me past a closed door on level 7 in a 3x3 room with 2 archers, 2 skeletons, 2 torch holders WITH(!) torches and 2 empty alcoves. I had no goddamn clue how to open the east door and was already pretty fed up because the entire mod gives almost no clues to any puzzles so i finally enabled the console.

Let's talk serious.
The story and intend of the mod is clearly horror and it has several nice twists, like the dark areas or black skeletons/scavengers.
Story background and in-game is fine so the mood is properly set.

My observations:
I used the latest version but still had a LOT of problems like crashes due to bugged gear. Right-clicking anything that's usually not right-clickable like notes or scrolls crashes LoG. Near the end i came across the Blade of Simon which crashed LoG when i tried to unequip(!) it.

Things started right away in level 1. After putting the starting gear on and killing the skeleton to the left of the start a secret symbol button can be reached. Well if it's intend is to do something it doesn't, at least not on level 1.

Next: a lot of hidden areas are opened with far away buttons, out of listening range. This won't be too bad if they would stay(!) open but most buttons open and close walls again. So when i came along a secret button i had to make sure to press it an odd number of times(!) so the secret area did not close up again.

Next: Being forced to play without light is ok for a while. But almost the entire mod? Torch supply is very limited and magical light is not possible. That's as annoying as fighting dark/black monsters in dark/black rooms, get's old pretty fast and kills the atmospere.

Then: I got stuck or locked out of entire areas/levels several times because i did obviously not follow the intended procedure i.e. in level 6 by pushing the first secret button right after the six-room puzzle or level 7 in the "Learn" part of the "Die to Learn"/"Learn to Die" room. Dunno how often i hit quick-load due to this ..

I could not open the door to the Room of the Saints although i found the hidden lever for it, so i had to teleport me behind it.

I found none of the two secrets listed on stat page but several areas that would have qualified easily as secrets. Are secrets actually counted?
Asteroth

Post by Asteroth »

Dr.Disaster wrote:Finished it in about 4 hours with my post-MQ Toorum. Yet i'm not happy because I had to cheat me past a closed door on level 7 in a 3x3 room with 2 archers, 2 skeletons, 2 torch holders WITH(!) torches and 2 empty alcoves. I had no goddamn clue how to open the east door and was already pretty fed up because the entire mod gives almost no clues to any puzzles so i finally enabled the console.

Let's talk serious.
The story and intend of the mod is clearly horror and it has several nice twists, like the dark areas or black skeletons/scavengers.
Story background and in-game is fine so the mood is properly set.

My observations:
I used the latest version but still had a LOT of problems like crashes due to bugged gear. Right-clicking anything that's usually not right-clickable like notes or scrolls crashes LoG. Near the end i came across the Blade of Simon which crashed LoG when i tried to unequip(!) it.

Things started right away in level 1. After putting the starting gear on and killing the skeleton to the left of the start a secret symbol button can be reached. Well if it's intend is to do something it doesn't, at least not on level 1.

Next: a lot of hidden areas are opened with far away buttons, out of listening range. This won't be too bad if they would stay(!) open but most buttons open and close walls again. So when i came along a secret button i had to make sure to press it an odd number of times(!) so the secret area did not close up again.

Next: Being forced to play without light is ok for a while. But almost the entire mod? Torch supply is very limited and magical light is not possible. That's as annoying as fighting dark/black monsters in dark/black rooms, get's old pretty fast and kills the atmospere.

Then: I got stuck or locked out of entire areas/levels several times because i did obviously not follow the intended procedure i.e. in level 6 by pushing the first secret button right after the six-room puzzle or level 7 in the "Learn" part of the "Die to Learn"/"Learn to Die" room. Dunno how often i hit quick-load due to this ..

I could not open the door to the Room of the Saints although i found the hidden lever for it, so i had to teleport me behind it.

I found none of the two secrets listed on stat page but several areas that would have qualified easily as secrets. Are secrets actually counted?
Yes, after I released it I was aware it was not very good even as a first effort. Still though I was certain I had finally gotten every door working by now.

Well, the button on the first floor is part of a set of three scattered throughout the floors. They open a dead-end hallway on the bottom floor that has a conversation play as you walk down it. It is meant to be a "super secret" in a sense.

The Blade of Simon is supposed to be unremovable as a cursed object. But the code a pasted seems to be a little faulty.

The hall of saints kinda stumps me. I just tried it and it worked fine. You must push a secret button on the wall. A door will open near you containing another secret button, push that. It opens a door farther away in turn containing it's own secret button which opens the hallway leading to the hall of saint's. The lever in that hallway opening the door to the room itself worked fine for me. As did all the buttons.

I would like to apologize for the many, many flaws. Maybe I will release one last version fixing some of them in case anyone attempts it in the future.

One last question: Did the ending cinematic play? Just like with that sword I could never quite pin whether it would work.
I am the God of darkness and corruption.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4250
Asteroth

Post by Asteroth »

Okay, uploaded a version with a few more puzzle clues and 2 more torches.
I am the God of darkness and corruption.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4250
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

Asteroth wrote:Well, the button on the first floor is part of a set of three scattered throughout the floors. They open a dead-end hallway on the bottom floor that has a conversation play as you walk down it. It is meant to be a "super secret" in a sense.
Ah it was for that hallway! It was open to me and the conversation played, some old man talking with some young man. It seemed pretty interesting but it's lines are either too long or too many; the sentences shifted more and more towards and past the left screen edge, becoming unreadable in the end. In case it was ment as a counted secret it did not; my secret count is 0/2.
Asteroth wrote:The Blade of Simon is supposed to be unremovable as a cursed object. But the code a pasted seems to be a little faulty.
Aye i figured on sight there must be a catch; that blade seemed too good to play nice.
Asteroth wrote:The hall of saints kinda stumps me. I just tried it and it worked fine. You must push a secret button on the wall. A door will open near you containing another secret button, push that. It opens a door farther away in turn containing it's own secret button which opens the hallway leading to the hall of saint's.
It's again something happening outside of listening range: secret button -> raises near-by wall (opposite to door!) to lever -> raises too-far-away wall to secret button .. re-checked, found the last button and yes it opens the door to the hall.

Those kind of puzzles are ok here and there but too many get frustrating. Secret areas like those on level 4 NE-end or level 5 S-end are much better: hidden pressure plates open/close a hidden door around a corner in listening range.
Asteroth wrote:One last question: Did the ending cinematic play? Just like with that sword I could never quite pin whether it would work.
The ending played right after killing the second black super-skeleton. 1st screen was "The End" in large font, 2nd screen was the narration about besting Simon, 3rd screen were your credits, followed by the regular LoG credits.
Asteroth wrote:Okay, uploaded a version with a few more puzzle clues and 2 more torches.
Upon loading it and trying to get back up to level 7 from level 8 with my last savegame (wanted to check back on that door i had to teleport over) i found that the stairs are not working. Reason: they are not stairs leading up, they are stairs leading down, so there is no regular way back to 7.