[ASSET] 6 dragons update v1.1

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
FrEEsiD

[ASSET] 6 dragons update v1.1

Post by FrEEsiD »

Hello all,
my dragon pack is released on grimrocknexus ;)
dragon with ranged attack ... ;)

Dragon v1.1:
Corrected:
-crash with projectils (Crisman)
-delete immunitie backstab for all dragons (Merethif)
-increase xp gain for all Dragons (Diarmuid)

http://grimrock.nexusmods.com/mods/131

6 dragons with goromorg brain( aggressive IA)
new animations (walk, attack and strafe L and R)
4 new screens effect (ice, shock, damage and black)
new HQ sounds (home) for dragons (idle, attack, hit, die, footsteps and dragonspells)
new effect for all spells (warning: shock = paralyse+haste, fire=paralyse+rage, ice =paralyse+disease and poison =paralyse+poison)
1 HQ sound for level ambiance ...

PS: enraged Black_Dragon is probably exaggerated ... but I love it ;)

Installation:
unrar dragon.rar
put folder into your mod (eg: C:\Users\Administrateur\Documents\Almost Human\Legend of Grimrock\Dungeons\my_mod)
and paste this line in your 'ini.lua":
import "mod_assets/dragon/dragon.lua"

enjoy
Last edited by FrEEsiD on Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:06 pm, edited 6 times in total.
msyblade

Re: [ASSETS] 6 dragons

Post by msyblade »

Wow, Great job on the scaling. Looks like you got the absolute maximum size out of them while keeping it believable. Impressed, and downloaded!
Currently conspiring with many modders on the "Legends of the Northern Realms"project.

"You have been captured by a psychopathic diety who needs a new plaything to torture."
Hotel Hades
FrEEsiD

Post by FrEEsiD »

Thanks,
scalling it's easy with GMT... but animations it's hard ;)
Ixnatifual

Post by Ixnatifual »

Maximillian of Northshire should make short work of those.
Komag

Post by Komag »

Looks very cool indeed!
Finished Dungeons - complete mods to play
Diarmuid

Post by Diarmuid »

Wow, crazy! I've been so waiting for that... :D :shock:

On a quick glance, aren't xp rewards a bit low? If a "normal" dragon gives 1000xp, playwise it will feel equivalent to the player that they have beaten a goromog.

I feel dragons should feel more "special"... I'd maybe go for 1500 for the standard ones, 2000 for the black and maybe 2200-2500 for the superblack one. After all, they all have deadlier attacks, more health, and immunities. We can of course tweak these dragon's stats individually for our dungeons difficulty curve, but it would be cool if they stayed more or less constant accross mods, so that players would know what to expect.
FrEEsiD

Post by FrEEsiD »

@Diarmuid
Ok, I'll change the xp ... I did not exaggerate too ;)
Are you also a fan of CBS ?
Merethif

Post by Merethif »

The dragons looks great, but I feel strongly opposed to giving them immunities to assassination/backstab.
I understand the need to make them uber powerful, but backstab immunity is somewhat cheap and illogical way to do so IMO.

Logically backstab immunities should be applied to beings that doesn't have anatomy and don't have back or other similar "weak spots".
In original game only Slimes, Tentacles and Cube are immune to backstab because neither of those have back.

Contrary, dragons have normal anatomy - you cab easily say its front and back. And actually in many (most?) legends dragons are usually killed by finding their "weak spot". Like Smaug from "Hobbit". Actually if Smaug were a LoG monster he would be immune to normal attacks and could only be killed by finding its weak spot, and that is assassination.

It's a bit awkward to make a monster with backstab immunity only to pump it up - it should be clear by the monster look, that it's immune to backstab (because it's unable to determine where monster's back is or if actually there is any back at all). I'm all for making the dragons difficult to backstab by, let's say, high speed and manoeuvrability or high evasion.

Of course every player can freely change stats and so on, so It's not a big problem and please don't take my doubts personally (I still love your dragons). But since this thread is about dragons I needed to vent a bit ;-) I hope you don't mind and I apology if you do.

Actually it's a general design problem with creating powerful monsters. I grew up on pen&paper RPGs and often I was playing with Dungeon Masters who just put some random immunities to a homebrew monster to make it more difficult, but they didn't care about basic logics and consistence.
FrEEsiD

Post by FrEEsiD »

No, thank you criticism is always synonymous with progress ... good I reread several times to understand your message my English is very bad and not so trad google;)
Merethif

Post by Merethif »

FrEEsiD wrote:No, thank you criticism is always synonymous with progress ... good I reread several times to understand your message my English is very bad and not so trad google;)
Since English isn't my native language and thus I sometimes (often?) use awkward grammar and build too long sentences, I wouldn't be surprised if even a native English speaker had a difficulties with seeing a message behind my gibbering :-D