[MOD] LABYRINTH OF LIES - v3.6 Release

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
wagtunes
Posts: 133
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:04 pm

Re: [MOD] LABYRINTH OF LIES - v3.6 Release

Post by wagtunes » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:58 am

Well, I'm now trying to get through this, as you say, horribly mean dungeon, for the 3rd time now.

I have made it up to the 25 minute mark of this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOCO1kuTovM&t=1472s

Either there is a bug or I am missing something. When I throw an object into that teleporter, and then return to the first pathway where the wall opens up on the left side, it doesn't open. The message that displays at the bottom on the video after you throw the object through the teleporter doesn't trigger on my playthrough. I have tried everything I can think of.

So I've gone as far as I can. I suspect that there are actually ways that you can lock yourself out of going any farther and I think that's what I've done unless, as I said, there's some kind of bug on my system.

I have an older save before I ever get to level 4 but I just don't know if I have the patience to go through all that again. It's flat out exhausting. I also notice for part 5, there is no audio commentary. So I have to rely on only the video itself. Sometimes it's very difficult to follow.

I've watched all of part 5 so I do know that if I can't get past this part I can't get to the next level.

Maybe this coming summer in 6 months or so, I'll give it another shot. When I get to part 5, I'll cue up the video and walk it step by step through.

In the meantime, if there is some kind of simple sequence that should work to get past this point, that would help a lot.

Again, the amount of work that went into this mod is nothing short of amazing. Hate to say this, but it blows the dungeon that comes with the game right out of the water. In fact, of the 3 custom mods I've played (Bloodwych, ORR2 and this) I'd have to say this one is the most ingenious. It's certainly the hardest as I've played through the other 2 multiple times and Bloodwych without any video aids. Just the original Bloodwych maps.

So great job!

Maybe some day I'll actually conquer this thing.

Elkedacion
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:12 pm

Re: [MOD] LABYRINTH OF LIES - v3.6 Release

Post by Elkedacion » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:50 pm

I have an invisible wall in the place where the ornate key.
Pitt- LV5 - key drop of the mushroom

User avatar
akroma222
Posts: 983
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:08 am

Re: [MOD] LABYRINTH OF LIES - v3.6 Release

Post by akroma222 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:38 pm

wagtunes wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:58 am
I have made it up to the 25 minute mark of this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOCO1kuTovM&t=1472s

Either there is a bug or I am missing something. When I throw an object into that teleporter, and then return to the first pathway where the wall opens up on the left side, it doesn't open. The message that displays at the bottom on the video after you throw the object through the teleporter doesn't trigger on my playthrough. I have tried everything I can think of.
Hey wagtunes!

Sorry for the delay in reply. At that point in the video - I throw a rock item through the teleporter >> which teleports the rock to the area on your left that is gated off >> rock continues to fly in the same direction just along the left side of the party >> and finally lands on a ledge with a pressure plate. This pressure plate will trigger the message and the passages out of that level to open.

Now, this rock throwing business must be done correctly - ie;
1. the party needs to be standing as close to that pit as possible
2. rock must be thrown as an attack (right click champion's attack panel) - NOT just manually thrown from the mouse cursor (there is a rather significant difference in distance traveled between the mouse cursor method and the thrown attack method
3. You probably shouldn't substitute the rock with any other thrown / ammo item either

I - suspect - that you are throwing the rock from the mouse cursor instead of as a thrown attack...
Let me know how you go 8-)
I have an older save before I ever get to level 4 but I just don't know if I have the patience to go through all that again. It's flat out exhausting. I also notice for part 5, there is no audio commentary. So I have to rely on only the video itself. Sometimes it's very difficult to follow.
Thanks for reporting that, i should still have the videos somewhere - Ill check and re-upload if possible :ugeek:
Akroma

wagtunes
Posts: 133
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:04 pm

Re: [MOD] LABYRINTH OF LIES - v3.6 Release

Post by wagtunes » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:51 pm

akroma222 wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:38 pm
wagtunes wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:58 am
I have made it up to the 25 minute mark of this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOCO1kuTovM&t=1472s

Either there is a bug or I am missing something. When I throw an object into that teleporter, and then return to the first pathway where the wall opens up on the left side, it doesn't open. The message that displays at the bottom on the video after you throw the object through the teleporter doesn't trigger on my playthrough. I have tried everything I can think of.
Hey wagtunes!

Sorry for the delay in reply. At that point in the video - I throw a rock item through the teleporter >> which teleports the rock to the area on your left that is gated off >> rock continues to fly in the same direction just along the left side of the party >> and finally lands on a ledge with a pressure plate. This pressure plate will trigger the message and the passages out of that level to open.

Now, this rock throwing business must be done correctly - ie;
1. the party needs to be standing as close to that pit as possible
2. rock must be thrown as an attack (right click champion's attack panel) - NOT just manually thrown from the mouse cursor (there is a rather significant difference in distance traveled between the mouse cursor method and the thrown attack method
3. You probably shouldn't substitute the rock with any other thrown / ammo item either

I - suspect - that you are throwing the rock from the mouse cursor instead of as a thrown attack...
Let me know how you go 8-)
I have an older save before I ever get to level 4 but I just don't know if I have the patience to go through all that again. It's flat out exhausting. I also notice for part 5, there is no audio commentary. So I have to rely on only the video itself. Sometimes it's very difficult to follow.
Thanks for reporting that, i should still have the videos somewhere - Ill check and re-upload if possible :ugeek:
Akroma
Thanks for getting back to me on this. Don't worry about the delay. I'm just glad there are still people around here.

Anyway, I went back to the earlier save and managed to get past that point. I followed your video step by step (literally) and that worked. Not sure what I did different but not too concerned about it at the moment.

I am now stuck at the part on level 7 where you have to pull the lever and the blob goes flying around the level and you then have to pull all those levers to get the gate to open. Where I am stuck is at the point in the video where you say "make sure these 2 doors are open" so that the blob can go through. I am totally stumped on how to get those doors to open.

I guess I can go watch your video from the start of that level, but I've done so many things since arriving here (some before you even did them in your sequence of play) that I'm not sure it would even be possible to undo some of the things I've done as far as levers pulled and pressure plates activated. This level, as you know, is ridiculously complex.

Any tips you can give me on how to get those 2 doors open from where I am would be great.

Again, amazing dungeon. And you're narration is fantastic. You should do voice over work. Really.

Anyway, as frustrating as this thing is at times (you really are a sadist) it has been a crap ton of fun.

Thanks for the thrill ride so far.

User avatar
akroma222
Posts: 983
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:08 am

Re: [MOD] LABYRINTH OF LIES - v3.6 Release

Post by akroma222 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:47 pm

wagtunes,
Just running out the door for a while, will get back to you today though 8-)
(everyone gets stuck on this ridiculous blob chase - I kind of want to remove it from the level tbh)
8-) :D

User avatar
HypnoToad
Posts: 70
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:19 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: [MOD] LABYRINTH OF LIES - v3.6 Release

Post by HypnoToad » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:14 am

Started playing this mod, down to level 4, its very very well done, and great to be able to check on the walk through when you get stuck. Fairly linear, I hate having to go ahead a number of levels to get something to continue on the level you are on. And not too many monsters, I was playing another mod and it was like with every puzzle you had to kill 50 monsters before during and after.
Return of the Dark Lord - V3.5 Download:
https://www.nexusmods.com/grimrock/mods ... escription

wagtunes
Posts: 133
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:04 pm

Re: [MOD] LABYRINTH OF LIES - v3.6 Release

Post by wagtunes » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:34 am

HypnoToad wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:14 am
Started playing this mod, down to level 4, its very very well done, and great to be able to check on the walk through when you get stuck. Fairly linear, I hate having to go ahead a number of levels to get something to continue on the level you are on. And not too many monsters, I was playing another mod and it was like with every puzzle you had to kill 50 monsters before during and after.
Trust me, it gets MUCH harder. lol

wagtunes
Posts: 133
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:04 pm

Re: [MOD] LABYRINTH OF LIES - v3.6 Release

Post by wagtunes » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:06 am

akroma222 wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:47 pm
wagtunes,
Just running out the door for a while, will get back to you today though 8-)
(everyone gets stuck on this ridiculous blob chase - I kind of want to remove it from the level tbh)
8-) :D
Okay, here's where I am. I managed to get those 2 doors to open (have no idea how) but now I'm stuck because of a 3rd door that apparently needs to be open as well.

Here's your video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2638I5cOko&t=224s

Timestamp 3:34 - First lever is pulled to send blob on its way.
Timestamp 3:41 - Blob goes through 2nd door.
Timestamp 3:45 - Gate opens, 2nd lever is then pulled as blob comes from other direction.

This is where I'm stuck. Continuing on...

Timestamp 3:53 - 3rd level is pulled
Timestamp 3:55 - You can see blob coming towards you as you make your way to 4th lever.

Problem is, at this point, I'm not seeing blob coming at me.

The reason is, after the 3:45 mark when the blob comes from the next direction, the gate that needs to be open in order for that blob to continue is closed and I have no idea how to open it before I begin the process at 3:34.

If I can get that gate open before I begin the process, I'll be fine. I've tried pulling every level I can think of to try to trigger that gate but I'm not having any luck.

If you can get me past 3:55 I'll be fine.

User avatar
akroma222
Posts: 983
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:08 am

Re: [MOD] LABYRINTH OF LIES - v3.6 Release

Post by akroma222 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:29 pm

wagtunes wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:06 am
akroma222 wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:47 pm
wagtunes,
Just running out the door for a while, will get back to you today though 8-)
(everyone gets stuck on this ridiculous blob chase - I kind of want to remove it from the level tbh)
8-) :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2638I5cOko&t=224s

Timestamp 3:34 - First lever is pulled to send blob on its way.
Timestamp 3:41 - Blob goes through 2nd door.
Timestamp 3:45 - Gate opens, 2nd lever is then pulled as blob comes from other direction.

This is where I'm stuck. Continuing on...

Timestamp 3:53 - 3rd level is pulled
Timestamp 3:55 - You can see blob coming towards you as you make your way to 4th lever.

Problem is, at this point, I'm not seeing blob coming at me.

The reason is, after the 3:45 mark when the blob comes from the next direction, the gate that needs to be open in order for that blob to continue is closed and I have no idea how to open it before I begin the process at 3:34.

If I can get that gate open before I begin the process, I'll be fine. I've tried pulling every level I can think of to try to trigger that gate but I'm not having any luck.

If you can get me past 3:55 I'll be fine.
Yeah man, making players solve this puzzle to be able to progress is just mean (and a rookie error!)
It should be optional, and probably not almost the size of a full 32x32 map

So, to everyone who has stumbled on this area - my sincere apologies :oops:

Ill have a step by step solution to this puzzle up either tonight or tomorrow .... working on it now
Ill be using a tonne of annotated screen shots from the Grimrock1 editor (w Engine Rooms loaded)
I think a series of images showing where the party needs to go (and when and why)
.... while showing also the course that the blob takes - will help folk understanding what is actually going on.

Hopefully this will be the last time I have to relive this horrendous, unnecessarily large, blob chasing, rage quit inducing, mother #$*@ing behemoth of a puzzle. I hope :D

Akroma
Last edited by akroma222 on Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wagtunes
Posts: 133
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:04 pm

Re: [MOD] LABYRINTH OF LIES - v3.6 Release

Post by wagtunes » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:40 pm

akroma222 wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:29 pm
wagtunes wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:06 am
akroma222 wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:47 pm
wagtunes,
Just running out the door for a while, will get back to you today though 8-)
(everyone gets stuck on this ridiculous blob chase - I kind of want to remove it from the level tbh)
8-) :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2638I5cOko&t=224s

Timestamp 3:34 - First lever is pulled to send blob on its way.
Timestamp 3:41 - Blob goes through 2nd door.
Timestamp 3:45 - Gate opens, 2nd lever is then pulled as blob comes from other direction.

This is where I'm stuck. Continuing on...

Timestamp 3:53 - 3rd level is pulled
Timestamp 3:55 - You can see blob coming towards you as you make your way to 4th lever.

Problem is, at this point, I'm not seeing blob coming at me.

The reason is, after the 3:45 mark when the blob comes from the next direction, the gate that needs to be open in order for that blob to continue is closed and I have no idea how to open it before I begin the process at 3:34.

If I can get that gate open before I begin the process, I'll be fine. I've tried pulling every level I can think of to try to trigger that gate but I'm not having any luck.

If you can get me past 3:55 I'll be fine.
Ill have an step by step solution to this puzzle up either tonight or tomorrow .... working on it now

Ill be using a tonne of annotated screen shots from the Grimrock1 editor (w Engine Rooms loaded)

Hopefully this will be the last time I have to relive this horrendous, full map, blob chasing, rage quit inducing, mother #$*@ing behemoth of a puzzle. I hope :D

Akroma
Akroma, abort! I figured it out. In fact, the whole thing is so ridiculously easy it's hysterical. After I figured out how to get that gate AND the other gate on the other side open (that was my next problem) the only real difficult part is the pulling of the last lever. You can't go TOO fast. You have to time the blob reaching it's next destination (I can't hear the impact) and then wait to pull the lever. Once I figured that out, I was able to put the whole thing together.

So I'm down to the next level where you DO have to be fast to get those doors open. Will be working on that today.

Anyway, thanks for the thrill ride. Can't wait to see what's next.

Post Reply