[MOD] LABYRINTH OF LIES - v3.6 Release

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
akroma222

Re: [MOD] LABYRINTH OF LIES - v3.6 Release

Post by akroma222 »

Abort Abort!!
Roger that 8-) :D
Ill keep the doctored screenshots so I can post this solution down the track if it continues to claim victims :|
Enjoy the Engine Core good sir!
wagtunes wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:34 am
HypnoToad wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:14 am Started playing this mod, down to level 4, its very very well done, and great to be able to check on the walk through when you get stuck. Fairly linear, I hate having to go ahead a number of levels to get something to continue on the level you are on. And not too many monsters, I was playing another mod and it was like with every puzzle you had to kill 50 monsters before during and after.
Trust me, it gets MUCH harder. lol
True story. Prepare for perpetual BRUTALITY :lol: :D
Thankyou for your feedback hypnoToad,
It does stay Linear up until later in the game - where you are allowed to choose how much extra exploration you want to / think you need to do. Accessing and completing late game areas & secret levels will definitely be worth your while, rewards and challenge-wise... But if you really just want to get the mod done and care not so much about being a completionist - then you can make a run at the end game Boss Level when youre approx 75 - 80% of the way through - BUT - it will be significantly harder to survive that final level
wagtunes

Post by wagtunes »

Well, I have finally reached the end of the line for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxYKaIpH5pI

There is no way I can do this. If you're having this much trouble I'm not even attempting it.

Anyway, it's been fun. But it has reached the point where the skill level is beyond my ability. I assume if I can't get past this part I won't be able to complete the dungeon so it's kind of pointless to go on.

Thanks for the countless hours of fun I've had playing this.

Time to go back to Bloodwych and ORR 2. At least those I know I can get through.
HypnoToad

Post by HypnoToad »

akroma222 wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:49 pm True story. Prepare for perpetual BRUTALITY :lol: :D
Thankyou for your feedback hypnoToad,
It does stay Linear up until later in the game - where you are allowed to choose how much extra exploration you want to / think you need to do. Accessing and completing late game areas & secret levels will definitely be worth your while, rewards and challenge-wise... But if you really just want to get the mod done and care not so much about being a completionist - then you can make a run at the end game Boss Level when youre approx 75 - 80% of the way through - BUT - it will be significantly harder to survive that final level
Half way through level 6 now, I love all the different spells, being a spell freak I could never get enough, this mod might satisfy me. ;) And being a self confessed completionist I hate missing parts, pity I don't get enough time as I would like to spend on it. :P
Return of the Dark Lord - V3.5 Download:
https://www.nexusmods.com/grimrock/mods ... escription
akroma222

Post by akroma222 »

wagtunes wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:14 am Well, I have finally reached the end of the line for me.
There is no way I can do this. If you're having this much trouble I'm not even attempting it.
Anyway, it's been fun. But it has reached the point where the skill level is beyond my ability. I assume if I can't get past this part I won't be able to complete the dungeon so it's kind of pointless to go on.
Time to go back to Bloodwych and ORR 2. At least those I know I can get through.
Ahhh... yes, that timed puzzle is a little ... extensive :oops: :?
Probably also one of the areas / puzzles I would remove or alter to be less horrible
I wouldn't say it is pointless to continue - and I wont debate or pressure you to keep playing, however -
there is one way around:
SpoilerShow

Code: Select all

I could send you some lines of code, that you cut and paste into the console
which would spawn a teleporter... allowing the party to skip that area
(teleporting you to the space just after the portcullis you need to get through).
Completely up to you though - and I would never endorse using the console 
to cheat your way through - only on very special occassions
But if you do leave the Labyrinth of Lies behind - Id like to say a big :D thank you :D for all
your detailed feedback, suggestions, compliments & complaints. That is ever so valuable info
that will help me shape my LoG2 mod into a more enjoyable and engaging experience...

For example - clearly the super confusing & tedious puzzles should not halt a players linear
progression through the game - but be used in 'side quest' areas not essential for progression.

Also - I need be careful that puzzles requiring precise manual keyboard / mouse inputs are not too difficult,
as we can NOT alter the level of difficulty for this style / type of challenge (whereas a boss enemy we can just
drop the difficulty to easy to try and punch through into the next area)

Well again wagtunes, thankyou and all the best!
Akroma 8-)
Last edited by akroma222 on Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
akroma222

Post by akroma222 »

HypnoToad wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:31 am Half way through level 6 now, I love all the different spells, being a spell freak I could never get enough, this mod might satisfy me. ;) And being a self confessed completionist I hate missing parts, pity I don't get enough time as I would like to spend on it. :P
Hey HypnoToad,
I think many of us are in the "really wanted more spells" boat ;)
From memory the final count was around 120 spells (including modified vanilla spells), but I feel this was too many in the end.
Late game, the number and complexity of rune combinations was over the top - so folk would forget which runes were for which spell, and in the heat of battle, would then likely fall back and rely upon on some of the basic spells / well known rune combos.

And umm... I apologize in advance for the loot & chests that are - on display - for you, levels before you can actually reach them :twisted:
wagtunes

Post by wagtunes »

akroma222 wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:46 pm
wagtunes wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:14 am Well, I have finally reached the end of the line for me.
Ahhh... yes, that timed puzzle is a little ... extensive :oops: :?
Probably also one of the areas / puzzles I would remove or alter to be less horrible
I wouldn't say it is pointless to continue - and I wont debate or pressure you to keep playing, however -
there is one way around:
SpoilerShow

I could send you some lines of code, that you cut and paste into the console
which would spawn a teleporter... allowing the party to skip that area
(teleporting you to the space just after the portcullis you need to get through).
Completely up to you though - and I would never endorse using the console 
to cheat your way through - only on very special occassions
But if you do leave the Labyrinth of Lies behind - Id like to say a big :D thank you :D for all
your detailed feedback, suggestions, compliments & complaints. That is ever so valuable info
that will help me shape my LoG2 mod into a more enjoyable and engaging experience...

For example - clearly the super confusing & tedious puzzles should not halt a players linear
progression through the game - but be used in 'side quest' areas not essential for progression.

Also - I need be careful that puzzles requiring precise manual keyboard / mouse inputs are not too difficult,
as we can alter the level of difficulty for this style / type of challenge (whereas a boss enemy we can just
drop the difficulty to easy to try and punch through into the next area)

Well again wagtunes, thankyou and all the best!
Akroma 8-)
Thanks for the response. If you recall, in the original game, there was that one trap door puzzle in the big room that was quite crazy. I was about to give up there as well. But then what I did was just watch how the pits opened and closed and took out a sheet of paper and marked the keyboard controls needed to navigate through (A,W,S,D, etc) and then, without even looking at what I was doing, just hit the keys and got my way around. That wasn't so bad because I could pass up pushing the one button that opened the secret area. All I needed to do was get to the area with the key.

In this puzzle however, it isn't just moving around quickly. You also need to pull levers. So that requires both the keyboard AND the mouse. That's what puts this on a whole other level of difficulty.

I've been playing these games since the original EoB series, which I think came out either in the late 80s or early 90s on 3.5 inch floppies. So I'm no stranger to dungeon crawlers. But this dungeon has proven to be quite the challenge.

Send me the code. I know how to use the console (have my hot key set up for it already) and have actually used it before when totally stumped and nobody to go to for help. I'll tuck it aside for now and see if I can't get through this puzzle by watching your video, if I can ever get to the part where you actually manage to get through it yourself.

And I thought I was making MY dungeons too hard. LOL.
akroma222

Post by akroma222 »

wagtunes wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:06 pm Thanks for the response. If you recall, in the original game, there was that one trap door puzzle in the big room that was quite crazy. I was about to give up there as well. But then what I did was just watch how the pits opened and closed and took out a sheet of paper and marked the keyboard controls needed to navigate through (A,W,S,D, etc) and then, without even looking at what I was doing, just hit the keys and got my way around. That wasn't so bad because I could pass up pushing the one button that opened the secret area. All I needed to do was get to the area with the key.
I do recall... and that is basically what I do when running (really fast) through that area. Wont take long before you have the # steps + direction memorized. Then its just a matter of calm, collected movement for a minute or so.
wagtunes wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:06 pm I've been playing these games since the original EoB series, which I think came out either in the late 80s or early 90s on 3.5 inch floppies. So I'm no stranger to dungeon crawlers. But this dungeon has proven to be quite the challenge.
Good :) it was meant to be an extension of the vanilla game - difficulty level notwithstanding. Still - def keen to hear which areas are unreasonable or just plain $&*#@#$ :lol:

Cut paste this line into the console:
SpoilerShow

findEntity("pressure_plate_hidden_224"):addConnector("activate", "prison_secret_button_small_56", "push")
It will open up the way through as soon as you step into that room (hidden pressure plate activates all the fireball timers, now it will also simply open up a direct passage to let you bypass the area. The way will remain open too - no need to worry about that :D
wagtunes

Post by wagtunes »

akroma222 wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:24 am
wagtunes wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:06 pm Thanks for the response. If you recall, in the original game, there was that one trap door puzzle in the big room that was quite crazy. I was about to give up there as well. But then what I did was just watch how the pits opened and closed and took out a sheet of paper and marked the keyboard controls needed to navigate through (A,W,S,D, etc) and then, without even looking at what I was doing, just hit the keys and got my way around. That wasn't so bad because I could pass up pushing the one button that opened the secret area. All I needed to do was get to the area with the key.
I do recall... and that is basically what I do when running (really fast) through that area. Wont take long before you have the # steps + direction memorized. Then its just a matter of calm, collected movement for a minute or so.
wagtunes wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:06 pm I've been playing these games since the original EoB series, which I think came out either in the late 80s or early 90s on 3.5 inch floppies. So I'm no stranger to dungeon crawlers. But this dungeon has proven to be quite the challenge.
Good :) it was meant to be an extension of the vanilla game - difficulty level notwithstanding. Still - def keen to hear which areas are unreasonable or just plain $&*#@#$ :lol:

Cut paste this line into the console:
SpoilerShow

findEntity("pressure_plate_hidden_224"):addConnector("activate", "prison_secret_button_small_56", "push")
It will open up the way through as soon as you step into that room (hidden pressure plate activates all the fireball timers, now it will also simply open up a direct passage to let you bypass the area. The way will remain open too - no need to worry about that :D
Thanks. Got through this.

Next problem.

Here's the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kM-F7UFCEYY&t=93s

Go to the 27 minute mark.

In short, I opened the other door with the round key. The pit I fall through takes me to a different area so I can't follow your steps. Thus I can't get the 2nd round key. So yes, it does matter which door you go through first. If you go through the the door with the fire elemental first (what was I thinking?) I don't see how you're reaching that 2nd area with the teleporter where the 2nd round key is.

Any suggestions?
wagtunes

Post by wagtunes »

Uncle! LOL

Akroma, I'm now at the point where I'm walking in circles. I've watched videos 13 through 17 and have figured out that without being able to open that 2nd door, I can't go any further than I am. I am out of food and just going to the same places over and over and not making any progress.

So I am throwing in the towel.

You are truly evil, and I know it's only going to get worse after watching that bridge walk or whatever it is. Unreal. I won't even mention the lightning bolt puzzle down in the dungeons.

I'm going to go back to working on my new dungeon and see if I can't finish it. As hard as I thought it was, I now know that it doesn't even come close to this nightmare and I should stop worrying. LOL.

Thanks again for an amazing dungeon crawl.

I am finally defeated.
akroma222

Post by akroma222 »

wagtunes wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:50 am Uncle! LOL
Akroma, I'm now at the point where I'm walking in circles. I've watched videos 13 through 17 and have figured out that without being able to open that 2nd door, I can't go any further than I am. I am out of food and just going to the same places over and over and not making any progress.
So I am throwing in the towel.
You are truly evil, and I know it's only going to get worse after watching that bridge walk or whatever it is. Unreal. I won't even mention the lightning bolt puzzle down in the dungeons.
I'm going to go back to working on my new dungeon and see if I can't finish it. As hard as I thought it was, I now know that it doesn't even come close to this nightmare and I should stop worrying. LOL.
Thanks again for an amazing dungeon crawl.
I am finally defeated.
Sorry for my late reply wagtunes, been in hospital w a horror blood infection.
Out now and feeling.... - almost human - hehehe

Do you have a save game around when you initially got stuck (before you ran around and starved everyone) ?
Either way, if you like, am happy to walk through a solution to the Palace / Dungeon maze area you are at.
Dont worry if your guys are starved and you'd like to continue....
SpoilerShow

We can spawn some food using the console 
- OR -
the scroll of create food is close by I believe...
Either way - very impressed you have reached this far!
And very grateful for the valuable feedback :D