[MOD] LABYRINTH OF LIES - v3.6 Release

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
akroma222

Re: [MOD] Labyrinth of Lies (half complete)

Post by akroma222 »

They are very good points sir..
Actually the trend of missiles for far away then burst spell close up will indeed occur once you acquire the darkburst spell.
And yes spellcraft spells will get through monster immunities and deal physical damage most of the time (1 exception though)
I have done this purposefully to give spellcraft an extra edge, I really wanted to highlight spellcraft and staff defence as powerful magics, giving them some very interesting combinations of spells (I figure it might be hard for people to break away from their elemental magic of choice)
However, despite the edge they have to start with, arguably, they are still second to the elemental magics in the long run (as far as raw direct damaging spells go) - I feel that this balances them out a bit - but I have not tested each combination of magic skills together yet... so this is good to hear!
I could indeed make the damage from light missile and magic arrow deal damage based on skill - seems like a good idea indeed.
I could also swap light missile and bless around, so Bless lvl2 and light missile lvl7-9...??

Given the number of new spells across the 6 skills, there are still some balancing issues to sort out, so I thank you for your input!!
crisman

Post by crisman »

Yes, I realize balancing it's a real pain, so much if you add new stuff.
Darkburst is really good spell, Bless is really useful too!
Maybe a nice thing could be swapping the level between dark burst and light missile?
(can't remember if dark burst is spellcraft or staff defense... ^_^)
I'll see later in the game, now I'm nearly where I left the game the last time, and I'm leveling up a lot (also found the amulet of wisdom and gave it to my mage, the first time I didn't find it.)
akroma222

Post by akroma222 »

Interesting idea indeed! Sounds like I will have to look at re-leveling the spellcraft spells...
Sorry about having to start over, that is a pain I know :(
Heheh good that you found the amulet!! There are plenty of hard to reach places through that area ;)
Thank you so much for your great feedback
crisman

Post by crisman »

Damn, seems I'm stuck now.
I'm at The Core, let's say "part 2", where I have to put a gem to open the door (walltext says: "and the other one")... Bad news is: I only have a green gem with me, and it does not open it!
I'm worried because probably I left a gem behind me. When I reached the Engine room I only had 3 of them (and there was a wall text saying I should have 4, or they were bs me??)
I really need some help! -.-'
Anyway, you were right about the light missile spell, vs the ogres it does ridiculous amount of damage. The darkburst spell, instead, is great!
Really like the bloodreed! and also the slug meat! Poisonous food is a brilliant idea! :D
I really want the slug meat, it is a problem if I'm asking you the model and texture? :)
akroma222

Post by akroma222 »

Ok Crisman, to get unstuck:
SpoilerShow
Go back upstairs to where the emergency evacuation teleporter is. Go through it. There are 2 blue gems you need from level 4 (where you are teleported back to) - one from the crabs and another you can take from the pit/gate/gem/fireball puzzle in the middle of the level... You should be able to return to the rooms/core and use the 2nd blue gem and then lastly the green gem to make your way through....
Please let me know if that helps ;-)
Of course you can have the slug chunk model/textures, I will upload them today and post the link :-)
I like the bloodreed too! hehe I have made 6 new herbs, they are quite rare though, especially in the first half of the dungeon ;-)

EDIT- slug chunk added to the monster thread: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4014
Everthing is located along side the rest of the monster drops/loot - download the akroma icon atlas publicV1.0 and delete the old one ;-)
crisman

Post by crisman »

Thank you very much for the slug chunk!
But unfortunately I didn't passed the gem puzzle :(
Getting the blue gem is becoming very difficult, it seems to me that you need the blue gem for getting to the teleporter (that leads you near the ancient horde). And I'm not able to do to anything else :S
A little more help would be appreciate this point!! :D
Sorry if I look dumb :)
akroma222

Post by akroma222 »

Not a problem!
For the gem/pit/fireball puzzle -
SpoilerShow
1.Blue gem into 1st left niche
2.Green gem into 1st right niche
3.press down both pressure plates now accessible
4.move green gem to next niche along east wall
5.throw rock/arrow through middle gate (which should be opening and closing) to press down another plate
6.move blue gem along west wall to next niche, this closes a pit further up where you -
7.place red gem in north west corner then remove it
8.move across to other side and do the same with the red gem for that niche (make sure you take it with you)
**9.now go and take the blue gem from the where you needed to leave it (middle niche west wall)
10.there should still be a path to get through the west gate (as that niche only closes the pit to get to the red 1st niche which you dont need anymore - you can still move across to the teleporter using the path that the 2nd red niche closed, and you should have the red and the blue gem with you).
Let me know if this helps!!
You do not look dumb at all good sir!!! No way ;)
crisman

Post by crisman »

Thanks for the answer, but unfortunately I don't have the red gem anymore (the one I took from the ogre), I used it to open the first door in the engine room... :(
akroma222

Post by akroma222 »

Ohhhh!!! Yup, that is a major screw up on my part. Those gems are 'taken' once you pass through the engine room doors, and if you happen to need them to go back then that is a big problem.
CRAP. Totally my bad. A good thing we have found this out.
I will have to rig it so the gems are 'taken' after all 4 are used to pass through the doors.
I am so sorry Crisman. I think you may well be stuck - is there any previous saves you have before all this occurred.
So sorry again
crisman

Post by crisman »

I don't think I have any more saved game, but it's no problem :D
I think you can close the pits after you enter inside the tomb of the horde, except the pits closed by putting the green gem into its alcove (if I understood you only need the blue gem and not the green gem, right?). How does that sounds??
So if you upload in that way it should not crash with my saved game (Really hope!! :O)