[Models] New created Models..

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
germanny

Re: [Models] New created Models..

Post by germanny »

maneus wrote:Really good work , germanny.
But in the last picture, I think the spiderweb is wrong. Because the web isn´t connected with the roots.
Thx, Maneus.
The spiderweb^^ - Yes, that´s right. But this web is a single decoration that can be set everywhere.
If it was connected to the roots it would´nt make sense on a ceiling without roots xD

Merging a perfect fitting spiderweb into the ceiling-hole asset would create the need of making a second asset
with a broken spiderweb.. noo.. i can´t go into every detail while doing assets!
There are over 210 environment models and 139 item models included in the pack today.
I CAN do much more detail, mostly perfect.. but i have big enemies: time + grimrock engine^^

A positive effect for me while doing this (and that´s my personal goal) is better experience both with
3d works plus texture creation and, as an important factor too: file history, management.
Not the finished assets are the problem, but the big bunch of source files:
Textures with different looks, source images and different versions of 3D model files.
I build up a pile around 15 GB, plus source texture library of about 10GB.

If you break work on such project for a longer period, it is hard to find the final used sources to go on with..
Dungeon Master Resource Pack worker and passionated Beer drinker
THOM

Post by THOM »

Germanny, you are doing a great job and I cannot await the release of your updated pack... :-D
THOM formaly known as tschrage
juho

Post by juho »

Good stuff germanny. Concerning your last image, I found myself struggling with the balance of blocker object and floor decoration. If there's a lot of stuff on the floor without it being blocked, player will easily lose items in the tile. We've taken a policy that there shouldn't be any cases of that happening. It's a bit limiting art-vice, but certainly good for the gameplay. With blocker objects it's almost the other way round: they should feel big enough to block the tile. Ok, there's no problem coming up with big objects, but big objects = big textures (we try to maintain certain texel resolution) = big memory cost = big troubles. So there's always kind of a balancing fight with the decorative pieces.
Follow me on Twitter: @JuhoMakingStuff
germanny

Post by germanny »

Thank you, Juho. Nice to hear that from you!
The problem with lost items exists, not with the assets on this last image (quite simpler as it looks- the bones laying around are items)
but for my spore pod asset. It´s breakable version - not blocked - covers a big part of the tile.
So it is possible to loose stuff dropped here because player can´t see it.

Another issue i thought of was what happened if one used decorations in massive amounts inside a level.
I fear that the amount of textures in my pack comes to a critical point, too.

Can it stutter too much or crash the game on low-end machines?
My workstation is quite powerful, i wouldn´t notice that issue here.
After i updated the dm-pack we will see if that happened - hopefully i get some feedback covering this!
A workaround could be to resize some not so important textures to 512x512px.
Will describe this dangers in the manual.

germanny

Post by germanny »

Today i modeled a little fishy.. ^^

*Cave Piranha*
"All mouth and swiftness, this little buddy devours your yummy flesh in no time"
This stealthy foe appears in flooded areas; if you got bitten it will inflict serious damage
and there is a chance you get diseased.

Probably not appearing in the next update, but will be a new enemy!

Cost me about three hours to create the mesh and temp. materials - i´m getting faster^^
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

germanny wrote:Thank you, Juho. Nice to hear that from you!
The problem with lost items exists, not with the assets on this last image (quite simpler as it looks- the bones laying around are items)
but for my spore pod asset. It´s breakable version - not blocked - covers a big part of the tile.
So it is possible to loose stuff dropped here because player can´t see it.
An option here is to create an alcove to be placed in the same cell as the decorations. The alcove can be setup to display objects visibly on the ground next to the decoration.
A script can be written to collect the [Item] contents of the cell ~or just those items of a certain facing, and place them in the alcove. That way they cannot be missed (inside a decoration).
germanny wrote:*Cave Piranha*
I wonder how they could look as a particle system?
germanny

Post by germanny »

Good idea to solve this, but no time to make yet. Please do it if you will.
Have to release the new stuff first, i´m on the example dungeon and manual instructions now.
You mean make an animated picture set of the fishy and define it as particle component?
germanny

Post by germanny »

By request i integrated the bookshelf from Phitts 'cozy dungeons' assets into the DM alcove.

Hey Phitt, can i include it in the dm wallset? I will mention you in the credits as well!
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

germanny wrote:Good idea to solve this, but no time to make yet. Please do it if you will.
Have to release the new stuff first, i´m on the example dungeon and manual instructions now.
It depends greatly on how you would want it to work; and to setup the alcove requires access to the decoration. We are trying to get ORRR2 over and done with, and I'm having many issues finishing up animations and unexpected problems... perhaps in a few days.

*But if anyone wants to try it themselves:
Basically it can use entitiesAt() to find any Item, and/or Item with the correct facing, and add one to the alcove before destroying it. **EntitiesAt() has a bug though; if the player puts a map marker in the cell you are checking, it breaks your code. John Wordsworth made a fix for it in ORRR2.

Scan the cell, and add any Items found the alcove, and destroy the original item. To make the alcove, define a new Alcove (with no model), and add it to a map; and put some item in it. Set the "anchorPos = vec(0,0,0)" and "anchorRotation = vec(0,0,0)", and adjust the position as determined by what you see when you look at the item in the cell with the decoration.
You mean make an animated picture set of the fishy and define it as particle component?
That was what I was wondering. (A shame LoG doesn't seem to allow mesh models in particle systems ~Blender spoils us I guess :D )
germanny

Post by germanny »

That´s the point -i have to release the stuff so anyone has access to the models and can create some scripting thingies^^
If i try to do it all by myself, the release would be around the year 2016^^

To create all this new stuff has eaten up soo much of my free time, it is almost impossible to do a good dungeon with it
in a serious time frame. You know well with your ORRR2 project.
Wish you all luck to find all bugs and do a final release soon! I think ORRR2 will be a very nifty dungeon experience.
This can hardly topped from other dungeons. And really cool it WILL be truly finished (hopefully)!

My hope is you release ORRR2 in april´14, so i can release my stuff and have time to play your dungeon^^