Nominations for common lore "Creators". We want EVERYONE!

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
msyblade

Re: Nominations for common lore Dieties based on. . .US!

Post by msyblade »

Just gotta tell ya, I'm finishing level 1 of the tri temple thing, ended up making "The arcane Library of Phitt." One thing led to another and Phitt's "Arcane studying wizard" remains, are the key to an altar that activates a blob spawn on sacrifice, that opens the final progression to floor 2! Where I plan on using the next person that comes to mind as I'm using assets that I've picked up here,...from somebody helpful. I wanna work in Fhizban, (Because I know what his name means, and it's cool as hail.) as a literary scholar, who desires that the world of literature be reborn, a champion of written genius past, that escapes us now. He is particularly known for his study of "Wizardry texts", and can aid us in reclaiming the lost glory. Really, I could do this for daaaays! Oh and Neikun, that made me laugh.
Currently conspiring with many modders on the "Legends of the Northern Realms"project.

"You have been captured by a psychopathic diety who needs a new plaything to torture."
Hotel Hades
Kuningas

Post by Kuningas »

I've always tried to base my mods (none of them finished ; D) into the Grimrock world somehow, though most of what I know is based on the map. (or rather, mysterious maps excite my imagination -- there are only a few names in there)

But, since it is fan-created content anyway, I see no reason why we couldn't insert our "new gods" into our interpretation of the Grimrock world as well. If no-one objects there just might be some reference to these gods in my mods...
BASILEUS
Asteroth

Post by Asteroth »

Hey, you know. Kuningas would be great as a god of deception or the unseen. (cause he's always turning stuff invisible)
I am the God of darkness and corruption.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4250
Kuningas

Post by Kuningas »

More like the demigod of unusable advice and mindless experiments. ^^
BASILEUS
J. Trudel

Post by J. Trudel »

It may be just me, but I prefer by far to include some obscure lore based on the Mod creators (or the game creators) than a God system. A bit like Level 11 in the original dungeon, the Tomb of designers. Gods reveal to much about the history of the world and it's a system that prevent further imagination. I prefer to believe that in Grimrock, Gods are differents from era to era and culture to culture. However lore is a part of history. A part that could be forgotten by time or mens.
The Lurker
SpiderFighter

Post by SpiderFighter »

This is such a cool idea. There are certainly names up there that I bow down before.
msyblade wrote:SpiderFighter is constantly helping people having trouble, Nominate for the God of Aid/Assistance. (Bet I could work THAT into a puzzle).
Aw, thanks...I'm truly honored. :) And I'd definitely like to see that puzzle!
Neikun wrote:I can just imagine mods doing something like
"You have been blessed by the god of Creativity! Your machine shaft is now a bludgeoning weapon!"
Note to self: Never, ever take a drink while reading a post from Neikun.
*grumbles to self and gets a towel to wipe off keyboard*
Edsploration

Re: Abnormal thought/idea

Post by Edsploration »

Haha... this is a pretty cool idea. If I can remember all these nicknames I'll know some useful characteristics about many people.

We could also use titles without 'god of something', such as: Ixfanatual, The Professor. Komag, The Chieftain. HaunterV, The... Curious Cat? Maybe stick with God of Curiosity here.
msyblade wrote:Edsploration: The name is too awesome in this context. Speaks for itself.
*sheepish grin* :mrgreen: It took me many years to be able to stick to a name. This one was inspired by wide open sandbox games like Minecraft and Terraria.
Open Project -> Community FrankenDungeon: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4276
msyblade

Post by msyblade »

Cool, I'm glad that everyone is on board with this idea. It makes original story and puzzle situations so much easier. Couple of points to make.

A: I agree that everyone should not be a god (or goddess!). It is lore, titles removed. I realized this when the first area/puzzle I created out of this was "The library of Phitt, Arcane Scholar" (Bookshelves library, get it?!)

B: On that point, I don't think it's feasible for all of us to have a specific title memorized for anyone. My mod may have the Temple of Daniv, whereas Xanathar has texts scattered referring to "Daniv, the Dwarven diety of construction". I don't see any problem with this, different races/societies have a different perspective on the lore. However, If we have an agreement of a "Realm" for someone, the similarities will cross between mods, regardless of title.

C: Kuningas, nominated! The realm of deception is a great one to work into nearly any situation!

D: On that point. Evil, protagonistic beings are in demand, and we would all hesitate to use each other in an "Evil" capacity without permission. So maybe some self nominations are in order to get two sides to the lore.Eventually we could have two dieties "battling" with each other over the fate of the party. One giveth, one taketh away.

E: If you want to get in on this, but don't want to appear ego-maniacal by posting yourself and realm, "John = the god of. . . AWESOMENESS!" please do not hesitate. There is truly room for EVERYONE, and our knowledge of each other is limited. I'd hate to use this with everyone in agreement, just to find out we missed somebody who has a more reserved personality, so kept quiet through the process. Not that it's EVER too late.

F: Since my username is the complete opposite of Edsplorations, (meaning UN-awesome ) I wouldn't mind being "The unnamed one" or whatever. "He, who is not spoken". And that's one more protagonist!

I'm going to update the first post with the 4 or 5 nominations here. We can use it for reference when we have something devious in mind. ("Okay, the spell I made to open this door needs a catalyst",...{looks up post} "Grimwold - complex string magic". . ."Yeah, that'll do nicely".
Currently conspiring with many modders on the "Legends of the Northern Realms"project.

"You have been captured by a psychopathic diety who needs a new plaything to torture."
Hotel Hades
msyblade

Post by msyblade »

More nominations:

LordYig: Famine

Diarmuid: Chaos (Strikes back!)

SharinaDarkstar: Curiousity/Physics (Another great name in this context, almost wanna nominate for protagonist.)

Xanathar: Hoarding (Treasure chests, get it?!)

JKos: Arcane text/Spell books
Last edited by msyblade on Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

Hotel Hades
Neikun

Re: Nominations for common lore "Creators". We want EVERYONE

Post by Neikun »

@SpiderFighter, if I had been drinking anything, I would have had a similar experience when reading your post!

I see myself very much as a Goddess of creativity, and as such, very fickle and neutral.
Not good or evil, and hard to please. *snicker*

I know if I see a puzzle in a mod that mentions me in it, I'll be sure to try the craziest solution first.
"I'm okay with being referred to as a goddess."
Community Model Request Thread
See what I'm working on right now: Neikun's Workshop
Lead Coordinator for Legends of the Northern Realms Project
  • Message me to join in!