Mod published: Wine Merchant's Basement

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
mahric

Re: Mod published: Wine Merchant's Basement

Post by mahric »

LordGarth wrote:hahahah

Cool yes I figured it out and finished the game. Well done and I cant wait for the next one.

Also I want to be the evil villain in your next game hahahahahahha.

LG
Sorry, just a npc with a single quest. Just like a lot of others on here btw.
Except for Spiderfighter... He's the overseer... oh..... :)
Did you visit the Wine Merchant's Basement? And heard about the Awakening of Taarnab?
Grimfan

Post by Grimfan »

Hi Mahric.

So far i'm having a ball with your mod. Best told story of any I've yet played. :D

But, I'm stuck. :(

I found the secret door in the dragon breath chamber and entered the mystic doorway to find myself in that teleporting area, but I reach a certain point and no matter what I try i get teleported back to the same area. Is the teleporting area one big massive wild goose chase (cooked up by a particularly devilish brain) or am I missing some obvious clue? :?
mahric

Post by mahric »

Grimfan wrote:Hi Mahric.

So far i'm having a ball with your mod. Best told story of any I've yet played. :D

But, I'm stuck. :(

I found the secret door in the dragon breath chamber and entered the mystic doorway to find myself in that teleporting area, but I reach a certain point and no matter what I try i get teleported back to the same area. Is the teleporting area one big massive wild goose chase (cooked up by a particularly devilish brain) or am I missing some obvious clue? :?
Hi Grimfan, thanks for trying my mod.

To get out of there, you need to follow the trail of the dragon. You do that by
SpoilerShow
Looking at the left and/or the right side and see if you can see a mark on the far end of the wall. The mark is the same as the one you pressed to open the mystic doorway you mentioned. Eacht time you teleport, you don't only have a choice to go left or right, but you can also go back up the stairs. Once you're up there, be sure to search for hidden buttons. If there's none, keep following the trail. Doing this should eventually lead you to the golden dragon and, after that, to the exit.
Good luck and feel free to post if you need more clues. You're not the first one to get completely lost in this part...
Did you visit the Wine Merchant's Basement? And heard about the Awakening of Taarnab?
leewroy

Post by leewroy »

Just finished your module, and really loved the story. I hope the next one follow this pattern. Congratulations and thanks for some funny hours, dude.

Got 10/12 secrets, played through around 4hs15min :)
mahric

Post by mahric »

leewroy wrote:Just finished your module, and really loved the story. I hope the next one follow this pattern. Congratulations and thanks for some funny hours, dude.

Got 10/12 secrets, played through around 4hs15min :)
Thanks for trying this mod. You finished it with some pretty good stats.

The next mod uses a different story, but I tried to combine the good parts from the Wine Merchant's Basement with some new ideas and posibillities the dungeon editor offers since then.

It's currently in testing, and I hope to release it soon.
Ryeath_Greystalk

Post by Ryeath_Greystalk »

Hi Mahric,

I'm really enjoying playing your mod, but unfortunately I am stuck and could use a hint.
SpoilerShow
In the room with the four alcoves. I got the golden globe, the golden Malbona statue and the golden cup. I did the north room first where you have to avoid the gaze and then the ogre comes out. I killed it and got his hammer, but I can't see anything else to do in there. Do I need to keep looking there, or was the ogre supposed to drop a golden item?
Yours is the first mod I've played and I am impressed. I've been trying to figure out how you did some of the stuff in there.
I am using a weight puzzle similiar to yours in my mod.

Thanks.
msyblade

Post by msyblade »

Mahric, you have such a cool combo of design and scripting, I cannot WAIT to see your next mod. Count me IN!
Currently conspiring with many modders on the "Legends of the Northern Realms"project.

"You have been captured by a psychopathic diety who needs a new plaything to torture."
Hotel Hades
mahric

Post by mahric »

Ryeath_Greystalk wrote:Hi Mahric,

I'm really enjoying playing your mod, but unfortunately I am stuck and could use a hint.
SpoilerShow
In the room with the four alcoves. I got the golden globe, the golden Malbona statue and the golden cup. I did the north room first where you have to avoid the gaze and then the ogre comes out. I killed it and got his hammer, but I can't see anything else to do in there. Do I need to keep looking there, or was the ogre supposed to drop a golden item?
Yours is the first mod I've played and I am impressed. I've been trying to figure out how you did some of the stuff in there.
I am using a weight puzzle similiar to yours in my mod.

Thanks.

Thanks Ryeath_Greystalk, I'm glad you like this mod.

Since I get so much from the LoG community I'm glad to release the source of my mods for everyone to see how stuff works.
(it might not be programmed in the most beautifull or re-usable way, but it works)

As for the room you mentioned...
SpoilerShow
The ogre coming out was just a distraction, like the earthquake and the shooting fireballs. Go back and have more patience. :)
Pro tip: And when you are sure you have had enough, wait some more :D
SpiderFighter

Post by SpiderFighter »

Hey, I don't know if you've seen this or not (only skimmed this thread), but you're a star!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5T-FLu3iD0M
:D
mahric

Post by mahric »

SpiderFighter wrote:Hey, I don't know if you've seen this or not (only skimmed this thread), but you're a star!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5T-FLu3iD0M
:D
Oh yeah, I've spoken to Solitary Drake after seeing a video where he said he found a bug in the Wine Merchant's Basement.
I could never reproduce it, but in hindsight it probably had to do with performance issues.
Solved it for him and since then followed most of his videos.