Mod published: Wine Merchant's Basement

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
mahric

Re: Mod published: Wine Merchant's Basement

Post by mahric »

Billick wrote:I finished it tonight. Total time was about 3.5 hours, and I found 7/12 secrets. Very enjoyable mod. Great job mahric!
It's good to see my mod is received so well, and people have put in way more hours in the game than I have put making it.
That, along with the basic reaction, is the signal that the mod is a success!
Did you visit the Wine Merchant's Basement? And heard about the Awakening of Taarnab?
Jaberwoke

Post by Jaberwoke »

Brilliant. Perfect mix of puzzles and combat for me and a great storyline. Well done. Now I'm off to have a rerun and see if I can find the 3 treasures I missed the first time.
mahric

Post by mahric »

Jaberwoke wrote:Brilliant. Perfect mix of puzzles and combat for me and a great storyline. Well done. Now I'm off to have a rerun and see if I can find the 3 treasures I missed the first time.
Thanks, glad you like it.

I'll give you a hint to find the hardest secret in my mod.
SpoilerShow
To find the hardest secret in the spot you'll have to have even more patience.
Did you visit the Wine Merchant's Basement? And heard about the Awakening of Taarnab?
Batty

Post by Batty »

Finished playing this today. My favorite mod now.

Terrific puzzles in this, very creative. My favorite was the
SpoilerShow
"avoid my gaze" puzzle especially how you were able to run it twice to blast the ogre!
A very close second is the dragon's breath, especially the one where
SpoilerShow
Sheola talks to the statue & it shoots you over the pit.
I'm looking forward to your next dungeon, I hope Sheola is back (or maybe her sister).

Are you planning to make use of the new GUI features? Seems it would allow you to take your dialogue & scripted events much further.
mahric

Post by mahric »

Batty wrote:Finished playing this today. My favorite mod now.

Terrific puzzles in this, very creative. My favorite was the
SpoilerShow
"avoid my gaze" puzzle especially how you were able to run it twice to blast the ogre!
A very close second is the dragon's breath, especially the one where
SpoilerShow
Sheola talks to the statue & it shoots you over the pit.
I'm looking forward to your next dungeon, I hope Sheola is back (or maybe her sister).

Are you planning to make use of the new GUI features? Seems it would allow you to take your dialogue & scripted events much further.

What new GUI features?! What thread did I miss?
Komag

Post by Komag »

it was petri's last glog coding session, and will be released at nearly the same time as the Mac version :)
Finished Dungeons - complete mods to play
mahric

Post by mahric »

Komag wrote:it was petri's last glog coding session, and will be released at nearly the same time as the Mac version :)
Just looked up the thread. I can't wait!

In my next mod i've been fiddling with 2 buttons and a walltext to let the player do browser through a list and let him select something.
An on-screen UI would be a huge improvement.

I never expected to say this, but "I can't wait for the Mac version of this product!" :D
Neikun

Post by Neikun »

If I understand people as well as I think I do, there will likely be one more coding session very near the release. (Unless the release is still quite a bit far away, then throw my theory out the window)
"I'm okay with being referred to as a goddess."
Community Model Request Thread
See what I'm working on right now: Neikun's Workshop
Lead Coordinator for Legends of the Northern Realms Project
  • Message me to join in!
Charlo

Post by Charlo »

Just finished! It took me 3:10, finding 9/12 secrets, playing on medium difficulty. Some thoughts:
SpoilerShow
Puzzle design was very good. The "dragon's breath" concept was used well for some interesting puzzles. Story was great as well. There were some typos, but you know that already. ;)

I spent forever on the first puzzle where you had to put out the flames with pressure plates. I chose the path with the shield, successfully completed the puzzle, then wasn't able to cross the flame pit that I had put out. It took me a long time to figure out that I should have taken the other path. Taking that into account, the first puzzle was probably the hardest in the entire game.

Combat was rarely a challenge. Besides the boss, the hardest part was the room where you had to fight two wardens simultaneously. Although it was easier when I coaxed one into the little side room and took care of it without having to worry about the other one.

Any time there was more than one of those smoky blue flames, my frame rate dropped like a stone. This was especially bad in the room with two wardens and the pits. My computer ran the main game no problem, but I've noticed that when modders go crazy with the effects, they don't realize that some people's computers are not up to the task. :D

It seemed like there were too many potions. Even after the final fight with Malbona, I still had a good quantity left. There might have been too much food as well, since I had maybe 12 pieces left at the end.
Great job mahric! I look forward to your next dungeon.
LiamKerrington

Post by LiamKerrington »

Hi there,

am right in the middle of it - playing it on hard ... Well, the level where I find Sheola. And here are some remarkable points. Since it might have the quality of Spoilers, hit SPOILER ... Thank you.
SpoilerShow
- Even, if I hit "import", I get a new character. I did not try it, but would "Toorum" be a valid play-option on this dungeon?

- Sheola is dead when I find here; but she keeps talking. You know, I HATE women talking too much ... ;)
- When I find the Blue Crystal in the library, Sheola won't be resurrected.
- If I drag Sheola into the first line, with my next move she gets pushed back into the second line again.
- Because she is and remains dead, this means three things: a) all skillbooks for the main character, b) no unnecessary food consumtion, c) a perfect mule for carrying stuff without slowing the party daown.
- The monsters in the library are very, very limited in their movement, which makes it pretty easy to beat them down.
=> Are those things probably the result of the latest game-patch by AH?

- Question about the hall with the trapdoors after "I" have proven myself and have become a "prophet" - is it true that there is no way to get out of there and becoming the perfect minin for Malbona? ;)
I keep you updated if more stuff appears. Up until now I may say: very nice storytelling, sweet challenges.

All the best!
Liam
At the end of my first time with "the Legend of Grimrock" - played on default-party, hard, old-school mode:

My first time