Mod published: Wine Merchant's Basement

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Neikun

Re: Mod published: Wine Merchant's Basement

Post by Neikun »

Looove the way Sheola is integrated into the party.
I'm guessing there's like a one in a million chance of getting through the room of pittraps correctly on your first go?
"I'm okay with being referred to as a goddess."
Community Model Request Thread
See what I'm working on right now: Neikun's Workshop
Lead Coordinator for Legends of the Northern Realms Project
  • Message me to join in!
mahric

Post by mahric »

One in a million?

You're an optimist. :twisted:
Did you visit the Wine Merchant's Basement? And heard about the Awakening of Taarnab?
msyblade

Post by msyblade »

I'm still not clear on the Sheola thing.
SpoilerShow
She's talking, and I'm finding Wizard gear, but I'm alone in the party. (i just beat Melbonas "Champion" in the cage). Actually, kinda need help here. THOUGHT the champion dropped a key when he died, but if he did, it has disappeared into thin air. I've gotten in all doors except the library, and simply cannot find that key.
Currently conspiring with many modders on the "Legends of the Northern Realms"project.

"You have been captured by a psychopathic diety who needs a new plaything to torture."
Hotel Hades
mahric

Post by mahric »

SpoilerShow
Earlier versions have problems with Sheola talking while she's not in the party yet. I've fixed that, so my guess is that you're on an older version.

But anyway the idea is that Sheola joins your party. She's being held in prison.
1) Visit prison and go to the latest room
2) In the corner with the barrels is a button.
3) Press button an open the mob being released from it's prison
4) Keep repeating step 3 until a door opens and no monster comes out.
5) Exit the room and go the first left. You will meet Sheola and she will join the party*

While sheola is in your party, stand before the door (or actually the square to the left of the door, where the lock is) and Sheola will open the door. **

* In earlier versions there was an error where sheola would overwrite your regular player if you moved them around. If you have an older version, keep kahroc on the front-left and sheola at the bottom-left.
** If nothing happens when you stand before the lock while sheola is in your party, it's probably because you moved the party around (and you have an older version). Arrange the party like written above and stand before the door (or actually the lock).
Did you visit the Wine Merchant's Basement? And heard about the Awakening of Taarnab?
Neikun

Post by Neikun »

mahric wrote:One in a million?

You're an optimist. :twisted:
I got half way, thank you!
"I'm okay with being referred to as a goddess."
Community Model Request Thread
See what I'm working on right now: Neikun's Workshop
Lead Coordinator for Legends of the Northern Realms Project
  • Message me to join in!
Billick

Post by Billick »

Started playing this mod today (about 2 hours in). I am loving it so far! Great puzzles, good story, just the right amount of combat. The scripted events are really cool and
SpoilerShow
I love how you gain new party members.
Halls of Barrian - current version 1.0.3 - Steam Nexus
Me Grimrock no bozo!
mahric

Post by mahric »

I loved to make something like this, a story where the player is guided and sometimes even isn't out of his own hands.
The way things are explained (and/or your thoughts are guided) during gameplay worked out good and is received way better than I expected.

It did trigger me to have my next mod more story driven too, with all the nice additions I can think of (the previous one and more new ones!)...
SpoilerShow
That doesn't mean that you will gain members during my next mod, but also doesn't mean that you dont. :lol:
Billick

Post by Billick »

I finished it tonight. Total time was about 3.5 hours, and I found 7/12 secrets. Very enjoyable mod. Great job mahric!
Halls of Barrian - current version 1.0.3 - Steam Nexus
Me Grimrock no bozo!
Hustin

Post by Hustin »

I finished it tonight, too, and enjoyed it a lot. My biggest gripe was that I couldn't remove the torches--they were destroying my frame rate!

I'm playing it on my laptop with Win2k SP4, 4G RAM, using WildBill's extended kernel on MSFN.org. The built-on NVidia graphics is okay, but it isn't a gaming rig by any means.
mahric

Post by mahric »

Hustin wrote:I finished it tonight, too, and enjoyed it a lot. My biggest gripe was that I couldn't remove the torches--they were destroying my frame rate!

I'm playing it on my laptop with Win2k SP4, 4G RAM, using WildBill's extended kernel on MSFN.org. The built-on NVidia graphics is okay, but it isn't a gaming rig by any means.
I'm glad you enjoyed it, but am sorry to hear about the torches.

The reason why I made the torches non-removable was that I wanted to be in full control of the lighting during the whole game.
I noticed that when a player carries a torch most custom lighting (like subtle hints given by lighting) are not visible.
Since lighting is a very important part of creating the atmosphere I couldn't think of another way.

On hindsight I did put way too many lightsources in some places. And I set some lightsources to "cast shadows" while they didn't need too.
I will keep a good eye on that in my next mod, hoping your framerate will be more playable.
SpoilerShow
Plus, in the part where I am in now, all torches need to be hand-lit anyway before you have any light.
No light at all will solve your framerate problem! ;)