Pyramid of Xafi

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Soaponarope

Re: Pyramid of Xafi

Post by Soaponarope »

Leewroy,
SpoilerShow
Really sorry to hear you are stuck. You rewrote autosave and didn't make a hard save? I had some hesitation about making the trap in, but thought it would be alright, I guess not because I hate to see anyone stuck at end of game. I guess I will add a metagame warning before player goes up stairs to level 1, seeing how it's not assured they will find the scroll in archives, and consider this better for my new project.

For your questions; 4 ogres is deadly trap; the secret behind the stones involves a button and secret door around another side; yes only one key and it is best used to open the cells on level 6 as opening the undead army reserve involves a lot of combat and the reward can be gained another way(secret). Also, what version were you playing?
leewroy

Post by leewroy »

Hey, soap.

Yeah, I was playing with two saves, but the other one was from the very begining of the game, it's almost the same to start all over again. Not a problem, I´ll try it again once I finished the module I´m playing right now...or get stuck for good, lol.

I´m sure that my second playthrough will be easier, now I know a lot of stuff ;)

About the version I´ve got to check, but I believe it's the latest.

Thanks for replying
Hustin

Post by Hustin »

Hmm here are some more that have me stumped:
SpoilerShow
1. "Twice west, never south"

I found it in the NW area of level 3 where the crystal is, and there are two secret buttons but I can't figure out what they do. Otherwise, I have no idea what this note means.

2. Five gold keys? I guess the fifth one must be in one of the last 3 secrets I still need to find :? I found the chitin mask in the grate area and the resist-fire neck thingy (the only secret I found on level 2, I believe...). I took care of the 4 altars and got a key at each one, I have no idea where the fifth could be.

3. One weird thing I found was an overhead shaft in the NE corner of the room in the upper catacombs (the room where the skeleton archer pops when you hit the button), but I can't find anything above it that leads to it.
Soaponarope

Post by Soaponarope »

Hustin,
SpoilerShow
1. This note refers to a nearby secret which involves the buttons you found.

2. Yes five gold keys. Not to be confused with the 4 ornate keys you need to complete the game.
The ornate keys are found on the goromorgs which guard the altars. If you have four your all good for the end area.
The gold keys are for opening up rewards in the treasure room and can be found in secret areas.
Having only 3 secrets left is very good. Some are quite hard to find, as they don't involve common things like finding a button. One will be the one mentioned in 1. Also there are 3 secrets on level 2.

3. The shaft is just for looks, as to an inaccessible area. It's meant to be like the skeletons were dropping from above, rather than just magically appearing.
Hustin

Post by Hustin »

Some progress...
SpoilerShow
I figured out the two-button puzzle (well, I think I did, at least...I got the fire book, 5th key, and lurker pants). I miscounted my secrets...I had 13/18 (now 14/18). I've been looking the map over and over and I can't imagine where the last 4 secrets could possibly be...there aren't many blank areas left. The poison trap in the southeast looks like a dead-end, and I haven't been strong enough yet to kill any of the ogres down the central pit (though I've been powerleveling up to see if I can get to that point). I've tried turning off all of the teleporters on level 4 but that didn't do anything, and I've been checking every wall for any buttons I might have missed (I got the valor shield, fire torc, and ancient axe--which I can't use because I had Mork put his points into maces).

Whatever those last 4 secrets are, you sure made them hard to find :D I'm hoping one of them has a better mace weapon than the flail or ogre hammer, because Mork's flail is just...bleh.

I've been putting notes on the map marking overhead shafts but nothing stands out yet (though I've found a few places with overhead shafts that seem to lie outside the parts of the level above). The map sort of looks like there should be something to the west of the western altar on level 4, but nothing seems to be there. And of course the lower catacombs are mostly empty. There are two overhead shafts on level 3 that have solid ground above them on level 2; I was surprised the game allows that.

I'll just keep searching and killing skeleton archers along the way.
Soaponarope

Post by Soaponarope »

Hustin,
SpoilerShow
Don't try to kill the ogres in the pit. Even if you somehow manage it you will be stuck anyway, there is nothing down there but a death trap.

One secret your missing is the Icefall Hammer. It is probably the hardest one to find and can be found on level 2. It involves something that is/was hidden but had no point to being hidden.

Some other things; you can get a total of 3 wisdom tomes, 2 health tomes, a tome of each magic type and a full set of valor armor. A lot of these are in secrets so it's a good way to check what your missing.

There are some overhead shafts that are just art, placed by monster spawn points. They are not secrets but rather tunnels which the flies live in which don't go all the way up to the next level. :)
In my new dungeon I will have secrets which open up large areas for persistent players like yourself. They will be like tougher side missions not necessary to complete the game but for a good challenge. This way I will make the necessary puzzles have more hints and a hint book topic; while the secret ones are more for the hardcore players.
Hustin

Post by Hustin »

Ah!
SpoilerShow
I never would have guessed what to do there on level 2. 16/18 secrets now: it looks like the only ones left now are the valor boots and greaves. I'll keep looking around.

I think I found a bug (or is it a feature?). If you go to the western altar on level 3 and put an object on the altar and pick it up again, the two tentacles appear out of the grates again. That would be fine as it would be a *great* way to powerlevel, but the door also shuts again and you can't get out. Too bad...
Hustin

Post by Hustin »

Well I found
SpoilerShow
secret #17, the Sorcerer's cap and fire blade. That one was evil :D
Still haven't found the valor boots or greaves...
Hustin

Post by Hustin »

Never mind...I found them! :D 18/18
Soaponarope

Post by Soaponarope »

Nice secret finding Hustin! Some are indeed tough to find.

The western altar on level 3 did have bug I needed to fix. I updated and fixed it as well as another issue since the last update. I'll bet with your searching for secrets and trying things out, you further bug tested pretty well.
Last edited by Soaponarope on Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.