Possible to texture an existing asset without overwriting?

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Kuningas

Possible to texture an existing asset without overwriting?

Post by Kuningas »

Hello! Sorry that my not-so triumphant return here has to be with a potentially stupid question. ; D Worry not, when I get up to speed, I hope to spend more time here and do something useful and fun instead.

The thing is, I am trying to do a simple retexturing to familiarize myself with the editor, and I've chosen to do a green version of the healing crystal to use as a decoration and/or a light source (Without the healing, but I may have to re-do the object to achieve this. Right now I just want to get the retexturing to work). I got everything else running fine, after being too hasty and ending up re-doing all the coding (which, thankfully, wasn't too much at this point), and now I can place my new object just fine.

The problem is, that it is still blue, even though I recolored the textures and inserted them (succesfully, I think) into the material coding.

If I understood correctly, the problem lies with the materials being connected to the models, and since I am using the healing crystal model for my new crystal thingie, I can't change the texture without either overwriting the healing crystal's texture or copying the model and changing it from that end?

If so, are there simple instructions on how to do it in something like Blender? (I know practically nothing about modeling, but I've noticed Blender is oft' used here)

Thank you, and sorry, if this is already addressed somewhere. I tried searching, but found nothing of particular use.
BASILEUS
Komag

Re: Possible to texture an existing asset without overwritin

Post by Komag »

You'll want to use this toolkit:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3325
Finished Dungeons - complete mods to play
crisman

Post by crisman »

If you want to have two copies of the healing crystal, one blue and one green in the same dungeon... well, no, this require some editing.
You have to use the John's tool viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3325
With this tool, you can copy the healing crystal model, and change the material so it can uses any custom textures.
It's really easy once you have done it al least one time ;)
Want to change particle effects too?
Kuningas

Post by Kuningas »

Komag wrote:You'll want to use this toolkit:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3325
Looks like that is what I need, but it still won't do it. The bugger is still blue... What are the things I need to change from the model file? Just the material names (I got 5 of them for some reason) Thanks, though, this looks like a crucial tool to me.

Maybe I'll try to change something else and see if I can get better results?

EDIT: Oh! I hadn't refreshed, so I missed the most recent post! I probably need to alter the particles as well, but I'll focus on the textures at first. ; D
BASILEUS
crisman

Post by crisman »

For the particles effects there's something that should be done first. Probabily changing particle is the sneakiest part!
Kuningas

Post by Kuningas »

Yup, managed to change the skin for machete alright, but curiously, I only had to change one material name from it, whereas the crystal had 5... Has anyone else changed the crystal textures? Because I'm feeling like the crystal object is somehow more complex than items, for example.

I might dump my idea of a different colored crystal now that I basically know how to change the textures, but it is also bugging me significantly. I could always try again from scratch.

EDIT: No, tried from scratch and it remains blue. Giving up for now and trying other things, I have a simple dungeon idea to work... If someone has more experience from this crystal business, feel free to enlighten me. Thanks for the fast replies!
BASILEUS
crisman

Post by crisman »

Turns out changing crystal is much much more difficult than I expected.
I got this:

IMHO it seems that the Crystal has its own encoded script that cannot be modified. I've modified the particle System and the texture, but the crystal remains blue (expect the particles)
What you see up here it's just a blockage crystal, like the barrels. It does nothing. :S
Kuningas

Post by Kuningas »

Well, basically that is what I had in mind -- just a decoration. But it is curious that it can't be changed outright, we could, for example, have crystals that only replenish mana or health...

Oh well, I'll try the blockage version, thanks for the tip!
BASILEUS
Neikun

Post by Neikun »

Can blockages have animation? :0
"I'm okay with being referred to as a goddess."
Community Model Request Thread
See what I'm working on right now: Neikun's Workshop
Lead Coordinator for Legends of the Northern Realms Project
  • Message me to join in!
crisman

Post by crisman »

Neikun wrote:Can blockages have animation? :0
No idea. I've yet never touched the animation parts, and I think I'll never do...
Now me and my friend are working on some items with new models...
He did this today
SpoilerShow
And I really like it *__*