New Spells >> show them off here

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Grimwold

New Spells >> show them off here

Post by Grimwold »

Party Healing Spell
(now with different runes)

Here's a party healing spell I created... it requires Spellcraft level 24, costs 20 mana and heals 1.5 to 2 times the skill of the caster to all party members.
SpoilerShow

Code: Select all

-- Party Healing spell
defineSpell{
   name = "healing",
   uiName = "Healing",
   skill = "spellcraft",
   level = 24,
   runes = "BEF",
   manaCost = 20,
   onCast = function(caster, x, y, direction, skill)
   local heal_amount = math.random(6,8)/4*skill
      for i=1,4 do
          party:getChampion(i):modifyStat("health", heal_amount)
       end
   playSound("heal_party")
   party:playScreenEffect("frostburst")
   hudPrint(caster:getName() .. " healed the party by " .. heal_amount .. " points")
   end,
}
edit - now with playSound and playScreenEffect

-------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT BY KOMAG:

For reference to others reading this thread, here is a little pic that shows the rune letters:
Last edited by Grimwold on Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:46 am, edited 7 times in total.
HaunterV

Re: New Spells >> show them off here

Post by HaunterV »

can you attach a spell effect? like the little just teleported glow or something? or a recolored fireburst.
Grimrock Community 'FrankenDungeon 2012. Submit your entry now!: http://tinyurl.com/cnupr7h
SUBMIT YOUR ASSETS! Community Asset Pack (C.A.P.): http://tinyurl.com/bqvykrp
Behold! The HeroQuest Revival!: http://tinyurl.com/cu52ksc
Grimwold

Post by Grimwold »

HaunterV wrote:can you attach a spell effect? like the little just teleported glow or something? or a recolored fireburst.
I haven't really worked with FXs yet.. but I can give it a go, or someone else with experience could post.

edit - I've now added a sound to the original spell which I think improves it. Still not sure how to go about adding an effect.
HaunterV

Post by HaunterV »

Grimwold wrote:
HaunterV wrote:can you attach a spell effect? like the little just teleported glow or something? or a recolored fireburst.
I haven't really worked with FXs yet.. but I can give it a go, or someone else with experience could post.

edit - I've now added a sound to the original spell which I think improves it. Still not sure how to go about adding an effect.
look at the thread about the flame skeleton. I think that gives an idea on how to attach effects.
Grimrock Community 'FrankenDungeon 2012. Submit your entry now!: http://tinyurl.com/cnupr7h
SUBMIT YOUR ASSETS! Community Asset Pack (C.A.P.): http://tinyurl.com/bqvykrp
Behold! The HeroQuest Revival!: http://tinyurl.com/cu52ksc
Neikun

Post by Neikun »

Lemme just keep an eye on this one
"I'm okay with being referred to as a goddess."
Community Model Request Thread
See what I'm working on right now: Neikun's Workshop
Lead Coordinator for Legends of the Northern Realms Project
  • Message me to join in!
Trap

Post by Trap »

party heal is cool, how hard would it be to modify it to heal a single character - to allow a "target" function.
Grimwold

Post by Grimwold »

Trap wrote:party heal is cool, how hard would it be to modify it to heal a single character - to allow a "target" function.
It would be pretty easy to have the spell heal only 1 character... the difficulty lies in selecting which character as there's no way for the player to pass that information to the spell. Other than doing a random character, The only thing I can think of at the moment is to use party.facing() so if you are facing North the spell heals character 1, East character 2 etc. Of course that would be very hard to do when you're in the middle of a fight!

edit - perhaps another way would be to cycle through the characters and see which has the lowest health... so the spell would always heal the closest to death.
Blichew

Post by Blichew »

Maybe change it a bit so it heals a character with lowest health ? Or lowest % of total health ? That would make it heal one character, not random.
Grimwold

Post by Grimwold »

Blichew wrote:Maybe change it a bit so it heals a character with lowest health ? Or lowest % of total health ? That would make it heal one character, not random.
Yeah, I'd like to work on a single healing spell that heals the lowest health character.. If I can get that to work, then I plan on combining the two and testing "Skill" when the spell is cast... if the mage has a high enough spellcraft skill then it will do heal party.. otherwise it heals a single most-needy character.

PS - I managed to add a pretty visual effect to the spell above.
Blichew

Post by Blichew »

You could go further and implement some kind of healing marker item.
Logic behind it:
onUse:
- get party member with lowest hp, save it to global lowestHP
- for the party member who used the marker set HP to lowestHP - 1.

He'll automatically become new healing target.

again, workaround, but you can (somewhat) choose who do you want to heal. Dunno how to implement it lore-wise thou ;)

EDIT: I know, make the item with syringe icon and call it an anesthetic or smth :P