[MOD] Shadows of Grim Moon

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Filipsan

Re: [MOD] Shadows of Grim Moon

Post by Filipsan »

IMHO so far best custom dungeon i have played. Good work! :)

EDIT: On the other hand, i wasn't able to finish it. I Could not get over pillar of penitence.
I also didn't get the puzzle in the skeleton area (Wrong is right + The other way)
Also, more respawn crystals would be nice :D
Last edited by Filipsan on Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neikun

Post by Neikun »

Link is probably broken for everyone who clicks on it who is not signed into steam in their browser.
"I'm okay with being referred to as a goddess."
Community Model Request Thread
See what I'm working on right now: Neikun's Workshop
Lead Coordinator for Legends of the Northern Realms Project
  • Message me to join in!
uggardian

Post by uggardian »

Hey. I really like your map, but I found a bug. When I save after taking the "trick me" key, the game crashes:

Code: Select all

script_entity_9:cannot serialize table 'x' with metatable
stack traceback:
              [C]: in function 'error'
              [string "ScriptEntity.lua"]: in function 'saveValue'
              [string "ScriptEntity.lua"]: in function 'saveState'
              [string "GameMode.lua"]: in function 'saveGame'
              [string "SaveGameMenu.lua"]: in function 'update'
              [string "GameMode.lua"]: in function 'update'
              [string "Grimrock.lua"]: in function 'display'
              [string "Grimrock.lua"]: in main chunk

An error log has been written to:
C:\Documents and settings\Admistator\My Documents\Almost Human\Legend of Grimrock\error.log

Please email this file to feedback@almosthumangames.com
zeltak

Post by zeltak »

uggardian wrote:Hey. I really like your map, but I found a bug. When I save after taking the "trick me" key, the game crashes:
Can you reproduce the bug? I mean I've encountered that once before, but after that every time I've tried to reproduce the bug so I could know why it crashes, I've failed. I can save the game without any problems. I've tried to do various other things before picking up trickster's key and saving, so I could know what causes it, but with slim results. It seems random bug, but if you can specify a little more the conditions when it crashes, I would be grateful.
xhantos

Post by xhantos »

Great dungeon!

I need some spoilers though...

How do I open the north door on level 7? I've been clicking buttons like crazy in every order I can think of with no results.

I have 2 red, 2 blue, 2 green gems - how do I pass the pillar room?

Note: I'm at 7.5 hours and all my champs are starving. Need some kind of a farm. Herder on Level 4 is not enough...
zeltak

Post by zeltak »

You're not the only one who has problems opening that door.

SpoilerShow
5 scrolls on that level contains everything you need to do in order to open the door
SpoilerShow
One scroll tells you always one action you need to do
SpoilerShow
Think what represents the daemon, the heroes, the goromorg priests and the Uggardian flames
Hunger is one element you need to manage/solve. If there was plenty of food around, it would lead the whole food management pointless. You need to limit the time you spend sleeping.

Couple of spoilers about it thought:
SpoilerShow
The herder "farm" you mentioned, on level 4 can mitigate it quite nicely.
SpoilerShow
If you find the secret "floor", you can say bye bye to your food problems.
hyppyp

[MOD] Shadows of Grim Moon REVIEW

Post by hyppyp »

Sometimes you get along a game that is great AND disturbing at the same time. Shadows of Grim Moon is such a game for me. Being an avid LOG-player, I keep an eye out for any enjoyable spinoff-game made with the already highly acclaimed LOG Dungeon Editor. Though this editor only has been out for a couple of weeks now as I write, quite some excellent mods have been produced already. I liked 'Lair of Alrak', very small but enjoyable. I liked 'GoldLust', bigger, easy to play. I liked 'The Reeking Depths', I liked some others as well. But the one that got me the most is without a doubt 'Shadows of Grim Moon'.

Shadows of Grim Moon consists of eight, largely nonlinear levels, which involves a lot of walking up and down, using numerous keys. The guy who compiled it, 'Zeltak', certainly knows his way around the editor, no bugs, all smooth and dandy. Nice story too and he tells it well. The atmosphere is terrific, the fights are ok. But what makes it outstanding are the puzzles. The one on Level 3, involving two pits that need to be opened, was the best I encountered in a long time.

So what is the nagging bit after all this praise? Well, the *damn* thing is just too hard for me. Too many keyless closed doors that stay tight, too many empty altars that need an object without a proper clue, spawning monsters that keep interfering without any purpose, not enough food. I hate to leave a great game without ending it, but here I see no other choice.

Anyway, don't let my frustration keep you away from this excellent game. Explore away and become the hero that I am not. And Zeltak, I promise to be back next time around, no mercy then! :)
zeltak

Post by zeltak »

Thank you hyppyp for a review, much appreciated!

Couple of things though: People tend to make things harder than they are. Every puzzle (if not simply mechanical puzzles eg. pressure plates etc.) has clues or hints for them. I hate dungeon design where you need to quess what you have to do (unless the quess is limited in some proper way), where you need to check every wall for secret buttons etc.

..and the other thing is that I've updated the dungeon to 1.01, as it has been brought to my attention that the wyvern steaks didn't give you any nourishment at all. So now those steaks give you food properly. And now you have a good farm for your hunger related issues (if you find the farm of course..).
xhantos

Post by xhantos »

zeltak wrote:So now those steaks give you food properly. And now you have a good farm for your hunger related issues (if you find the farm of course..).
Thanks! That's a relief. I restarted in the meanwhile. You proceed much faster when you know your way around - until you are stuck again.

BTW, if gear necklaces had descriptions it would be nice, even if something (useless but atmosphere building) like 'strange necklace with a solid feel to it' etc.
hyppyp

Post by hyppyp »

'People tend to make things harder than they are'. Zeltek, I won't get into a philosophical debate here, it's neither the place nor the time, but don't you think that the players, 'the people' in this case, are ultimately the ones who decide that, while enduring the experience in 'your' world? As I see it a lot of people love your creation, but are struggling hard. So get off your Creator-throne and show them (and me) the way. Or get some more clues in. Or, well whatever... ;) In the end, it's just the difference between a good game and a REALLY good one. Your choice, o mighty one!