[MOD] Shadows of Grim Moon

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
zeltak

[MOD] Shadows of Grim Moon

Post by zeltak »

Edit 23/Sep/2014: It's been almost two years since this was released. Nothing new here. Just noticed that the first message of this thread was way out of date (it still mentioned that this was unfinished..), so I updated it. Man, I'm so excited about LoG2. Can't wait to get playing it. And I'm full of energy again, so hopefully after I've finished with LoG2's main quest, I'll get modding again.

SHADOWS OF GRIM MOON

Welcome to play Shadows of Grim Moon. Delve into the bowels of an old ruined monastery to search an artifact called Orsan, rumoured to held an unimaginable power.

Shadows of Grim Moon consists of eight, largely nonlinear levels and it's desiged and balanced for a new party. You can expect plenty of puzzles, monsters and riddles to hinder your journey into the heart of the monastery.

If you've played the main game, you know what to expect. Dungeon is designed for players who have played the main game or otherwise have knowledge of Grimrock as there are no spell scrolls or recepy instructions in the dungeon.

If you encounter any bugs please inform me. I would also like to hear other comments about the dungeon and especially it's difficulty as it's pretty hard to balance nonlinear dungeon. But know that if you pop your head into a wrong place too soon, it will likely be bitten off, so be careful and choose your fights ("There are alternatives to fighting" -Obi-Wan Kenobi).

And one more thing before I let you go is that I've tested the dungeon without any light source of my own. There are some torches to be found, but I've put them into empty torchholders when I've had to have some more light. Grimrock's light and shadow play is just so great that it's shame to destroy it with mostly bland hand held or conjured lights. But you will make up your own mind. So off you go now and

happy dungeoncrawling
- Esy 'Zeltak' Vihree

File can be found on:
Nexus
Steam Workshop
Last edited by zeltak on Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Komag

Re: [MOD] Shadows of Grim Moon

Post by Komag »

a few quick thoughts...
- some flickering on gated stairwell pillars heading down to 4 (room with altar and green gem)
- again on stairs heading from 3 to 2, near room with mortar/pestle
- why are there two mortar/pestles?

Like the atmosphere. I don't like the because I am torn between just trapping them or taking the time and pain the butt to fight them and get the big XP. I end up just trapping them, but then I feel like I've left something undone, which for me is very unsettling. But good work so far as I've seen, nice
Finished Dungeons - complete mods to play
zeltak

Post by zeltak »

Komag wrote:a few quick thoughts...
- some flickering on gated stairwell pillars heading down to 4 (room with altar and green gem)
- again on stairs heading from 3 to 2, near room with mortar/pestle
- why are there two mortar/pestles?

Like the atmosphere. I don't like the because I am torn between just trapping them or taking the time and pain the butt to fight them and get the big XP. I end up just trapping them, but then I feel like I've left something undone, which for me is very unsettling. But good work so far as I've seen, nice
Excellent, keep the thoughts coming :) Big chunk of the atmosphere in level 4, I think, comes from the, and their almost ever present sound. Two mortar/pestles is explained in that if there would be only one, you might go a long way in the dungeon before ever finding it. Now you have a good chance finding one in the very beginning, and ease your way through the monastery with potions.

About the flickering, I don't know how to fix them. I think there's some flickering near almost every stairs :( Personally I didn't mind them as it's pretty unnoticeable, but if it bothers too much then I of course try to fix them somehow.

edit: I'll use spoilers just in case as this reveals how I handle things and I don't want to force the hand of the player even if it would settle some nerves..
SpoilerShow
If you want to fight the, be my quest, but then you have to endure the pain in the butt. I just trap them, or avoid them, and deal with them later, if ever at all.
Komag

Post by Komag »

- flickering on pillar by stairs from 4 to 5, by gate with pit behind (in area soon after rock-throw pit)
- flickering on side of stairs from 5 to 4 (same stairs, but on bottom level), see pillar halfway up
[basically, you just can't build NEXT to stairs like that)
- I also don't like respawning skeleton patrols, yuck, that tomb area was a big long grinding drag, having to battle yet another patrol after patrol forever - finally got the special gem, don't know what to do with it
- uh, there's just TONS of stairs that are too close to walls and stuff, lots and lots of flickering pillars, etc. I think you'll need to really reconstruct the whole area
- level 6 has arched doors where the sides are overlapping pillars (northern East-West hallway)

I think I'll have to pass playing this map any more right now. It's a good effort, but too unbalanced and rough for me at this point.

I really do mean it though that you've built an impressive dungeon. It just needs a lot of reworking some areas and polish all over, plus some rethinking of monster spawn rates maybe, I dunno. Keep at it, it's good.
HaunterV

Post by HaunterV »

Sorry!

An error was encountered while processing your request:

That item does not exist. It may have been removed by the author.

Here's a link to the Steam Community home page.
Broken link I think.
Grimrock Community 'FrankenDungeon 2012. Submit your entry now!: http://tinyurl.com/cnupr7h
SUBMIT YOUR ASSETS! Community Asset Pack (C.A.P.): http://tinyurl.com/bqvykrp
Behold! The HeroQuest Revival!: http://tinyurl.com/cu52ksc
Komag

Post by Komag »

just open your steam and go to community - workshop and search for Grim Moon, the subscribe to it.
HaunterV

Post by HaunterV »

Komag wrote:just open your steam and go to community - workshop and search for Grim Moon, the subscribe to it.
did that already :P it's just that not everyone else will.
Grimrock Community 'FrankenDungeon 2012. Submit your entry now!: http://tinyurl.com/cnupr7h
SUBMIT YOUR ASSETS! Community Asset Pack (C.A.P.): http://tinyurl.com/bqvykrp
Behold! The HeroQuest Revival!: http://tinyurl.com/cu52ksc
zeltak

Post by zeltak »

Link is working for me O.o Is there something that I'm missing in linking a workshop stuff?
Batty

Post by Batty »

I like the title, have to try this one.
zeltak

Post by zeltak »

Finally I've released the version 1.0

You can find it from both Steam and Grimrock Nexus

Changes from previous version to 1.0
- intro & ending screens
- script fix on level 2, now the scroll on alcove spawns depending on which stairs you come.
- little grammatical fix on level 7
- added one of the crucial items more to counter sacrificial accidents.