[DONE] Grimrock Model Tookit

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Eightball

Re: [WIP] Grimrock Model Tookit

Post by Eightball »

Thanks for the explanations. I didn't know about the temp materials and will have to look into it.
However, I see from your instructions what the problem is that I was having. I was skipping a step, not realizing that I need to define the material in my materials.lua before I can use it in GMT. I thought I could just use the images in GMT without the .lua file.
Last edited by Eightball on Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
chaoscommencer

Post by chaoscommencer »

Hey John I was wondering if you might be able to make a little tutorial on how to use the toolkit? Skuggasveinn sort of did one a while ago, which I used to learn a little bit, but that was mostly focused on editing a model in an external tool and then importing it back into LoG via your toolkit. There's a lot of functionality in your application that it didn't touch on at all. If you got the chance to do a short video like he did that goes more into the functionality the GMT contains, that would be really cool, and I'm sure it would be useful for more people than just me ;).
Working on a dungeon that displays a massive collection of assets while sorting them into convenient reusable plugin format (concept from some of leki's mods). Will contribute some of my own models as well eventually and follow that with custom dungeon.
JohnWordsworth

Post by JohnWordsworth »

Hi ChaosCommencer. I have been considering perhaps doing a quick 10-minute tutorial/introduction to the GMT in YouTube (retexture a model, import an OBJ file). However, if I do, it will likely be very quickly put together as work is underway for a new version of the GMT for LoG2 now. Unfortunately, the more time I spend on other projects the less time I spend on getting the 'Grimrock Model Toolkit v2' ready for the launch (or soon after) of LoG2!
Last edited by JohnWordsworth on Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Grimrock Projects Page with links to the Grimrock Model Toolkit, GrimFBX, Atlas Toolkit, QuickBar, NoteBook and the Oriental Weapons Pack.
chaoscommencer

Post by chaoscommencer »

Well, a tutorial would be nice, but I don't think any of us want to take away from your time on LoG2. If you do get a chance though, keep us posted :)
Working on a dungeon that displays a massive collection of assets while sorting them into convenient reusable plugin format (concept from some of leki's mods). Will contribute some of my own models as well eventually and follow that with custom dungeon.
JohnWordsworth

Post by JohnWordsworth »

I will see what I can do! :p I'm hoping given what I've learned from the GMT, the next version of the model toolkit will be much more powerful. (Just a disclaimer, I'm working on the GMT2, not LOG2 - it's just a hobby / spare time project :))
My Grimrock Projects Page with links to the Grimrock Model Toolkit, GrimFBX, Atlas Toolkit, QuickBar, NoteBook and the Oriental Weapons Pack.
chaoscommencer

Post by chaoscommencer »

Oh, ok. Will the GMT2 be compatible with both LoG and LoG2, or will we need to use a separate version for each?
JohnWordsworth

Post by JohnWordsworth »

The GMT 2 should be compatible for both LoG1 and LoG2. The model format is not planned to change (the animation format is however), so it will almost definitely work for static models, but I intend on making it work with both. I figured it would be cool to be able to open a model you've made for LoG1 in the GMT2 and then just save it for LoG2 (including animations). That's the plan anyway!
chaoscommencer

Post by chaoscommencer »

Wow, I can see how that might get complex rather quickly, figuring out how to convert animations between each format. That would definitely be convenient after the fact though. Good luck man!
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

JohnWordsworth wrote:I figured it would be cool to be able to open a model you've made for LoG1 in the GMT2 and then just save it for LoG2 (including animations). That's the plan anyway!
That would be tremendously cool! 8-)
JohnWordsworth

Post by JohnWordsworth »

17 Months and 650 Forum Posts after this project started as just something I intended to play around with for a few evenings, I give you what will probably be the final version of the Grimrock Model Toolkit. Fear not, this does not mean there won't be a cool, handy tool for when LoG2 arrives - it just means that from now on I will be focussing on a completely revised version of the GMT (currently the 'GMT2') which will be written from the ground up in C++ so that you will be able to do your 3D work on Windows, Linux or OSX and play with lots of snazzy new features (including full animation support via FBX import).

Of course, if I've broken something major with this update, there might be a minor patch - but I'm wrapping up all of my current little tools for now so I can work full steam ahead on a new model toolkit, which I hope to launch as close as humanly possible to the launch of the LoG2 Dungeon Editor.

Grimrock Model Toolkit Version 0.7.0.0

Release Notes
  • Added “Flip UVs Vertically” feature to the Model menu so that you can manually fix flipped UV maps after importing.
  • Updated to latest version of Assimp and recompiled Assimp.Net to use it.
  • Assimp DLLs are now correctly bundled with install, so Assimp Import should work on all platforms out of the box.
  • OBJ export now correctly accounts for the case where there are multiple segments with the same material assigned.
  • Fixed a crash when trying to play an animation with 0 or 1 frame(s).
  • Minor bug fixes.
Enjoy!

Download now from the GMT Webpage

p.s. I guess it's time to remove [WIP] from the subject header now. Heh.