[DONE] Grimrock Model Tookit

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Isaac

Re: [DONE] Grimrock Model Tookit

Post by Isaac »

Aha... are you intending that the runes appear on a sword?

If so, it's not often so simple as drawing them on the sword texture; it depends upon the model...though it might work on this one. ;)

Photoshopped materialShow

Usually (and for best results), the model would need editing in a 3D modeling package like Blender, rather than drawing the letters directly on the material, as done here. Also... done this way, the runes will display mirrored on the reverse side.
Can you post (or PM) your images here? You would have to host them on a 3rd party image or file host.
wagtunes

Post by wagtunes »

Isaac wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 4:21 am Aha... are you intending that the runes appear on a sword?

If so, it's not often so simple as drawing them on the sword texture; it depends upon the model...though it might work on this one. ;)

Photoshopped materialShow

Usually (and for best results), the model would need editing in a 3D modeling package like Blender, rather than drawing the letters directly on the material, as done here. Also... done this way, the runes will display mirrored on the reverse side.
Can you post (or PM) your images here? You would have to host them on a 3rd party image or file host.
No, I just want the rune to appear. Instead, it's pulling index 0 from the items.dds file instead of from the runes.dds file but putting the texture of the rune around the sword. This makes absolutely no sense.

The bigger issue is this. Why isn't the GAT creating a DDS file that doesn't generate that error message? Isn't the DDS file that GAT creates supposed to be compatible with LoG? Obviously it's not or there is some kind of weird bug going on that is OS dependent. It is an old utility and I'm running it on Windows 10, which probably wasn't even out when GAT was created.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

wagtunes wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 10:46 amNo, I just want the rune to appear...
...Instead, it's pulling index 0 from the items.dds file instead of from the runes.dds file but putting the texture of the rune around the sword. This makes absolutely no sense.
You might need to post your image and object definition. The item [1&2] dds files are icon sets; used only as mouse cursors or for items in the inventory. They should not get mapped to the 3D model in any way.
wagtunes

Post by wagtunes »

Isaac wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 11:31 am
wagtunes wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 10:46 amNo, I just want the rune to appear...
...Instead, it's pulling index 0 from the items.dds file instead of from the runes.dds file but putting the texture of the rune around the sword. This makes absolutely no sense.
You might need to post your image and object definition. The item [1&2] dds files are icon sets; used only as mouse cursors or for items in the inventory. They should not get mapped to the 3D model in any way.
Yes, that's what I'm doing. I'm just making an icon file so that when I pick up the item it shows the proper icon in my hand and in inventory.

Here is my script.

Code: Select all

defineObject{
		name = "yellow_gem",
		class = "Item",
		uiName = "Yellow Gem",
		model = "mod_assets/models/items/yellow_gem_big.fbx",
		gfxAtlas = "mod_assets/textures/items/runes.tga",
		gfxIndex = 0,
		gameEffect = "Value: 15g", -- Value: 1g\n
		weight = 0.2,
	}
That is all I am doing. Using GAT, the DDS file created for runes.tga comes out uncompressed and I get the error message. Why? Isn't it supposed to make a DDS file that will make a proper icon file?
wagtunes

Post by wagtunes »

Additionally, if I don't use GAT and just create the DDS file in Photoshop, creating the image from scratch, when I pick up the item, it shows the whole 75x75 box. I do not get a transparent image. So while it's functional and it works, it looks like crap.

I'm about ready to just give up on this whole thing.
wagtunes

Post by wagtunes »

Here's the bottom line. I can make a MODEL file with no problem that looks great laying on the floor. Once I pick it up, however, it either looks like crap or, if I use GAT, the dungeon doesn't run at all because of the error.

That's where I am and I have no idea how to fix the problem. I have tried everything I can think of.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

wagtunes wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 11:58 am Additionally, if I don't use GAT and just create the DDS file in Photoshop, creating the image from scratch, when I pick up the item, it shows the whole 75x75 box. I do not get a transparent image. So while it's functional and it works, it looks like crap.
The image needs either an alpha channel, or a .png file with a transparent background (if using GAT). This allows removal of the background on the icons. You can see the lack of background on Items.dds in Photoshop in the channels panel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4z4tug1w44

Conceptual info: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IYea3raR5s

Alpha channels use solid white to indicate full opacity, solid black for full transparency, and degrees of grey for partial transparency.
Zo Kath Ra

Post by Zo Kath Ra »

Isaac wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 12:14 pm
wagtunes wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 11:58 am Additionally, if I don't use GAT and just create the DDS file in Photoshop, creating the image from scratch, when I pick up the item, it shows the whole 75x75 box. I do not get a transparent image. So while it's functional and it works, it looks like crap.
You need either an alpha channel, or a png file with a transparent background (if using GAT). This removes the background on the icons.

Using PNGs is the easiest way.

1) Open assets/textures/gui/items.dds (I used Gimp with the DDS plugin installed)
2) Crop the image to one of the gems
4) Change the color curves to make the gem yellow
5) Export the yellow gem as a PNG
6) Import yellow_gem.png into GGAT
7) Export the atlas as a DDS
wagtunes

Post by wagtunes »

Zo Kath Ra wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 12:24 pm
Isaac wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 12:14 pm
You need either an alpha channel, or a png file with a transparent background (if using GAT). This removes the background on the icons.

Using PNGs is the easiest way.

1) Open assets/textures/gui/items.dds (I used Gimp with the DDS plugin installed)
2) Crop the image to one of the gems
4) Change the color curves to make the gem yellow
5) Export the yellow gem as a PNG
6) Import yellow_gem.png into GGAT
7) Export the atlas as a DDS
Okay, I followed your directions exactly except for step 6. I'll explain why shortly.

I still get the same error, uncompressed DDS format. GAT it not exporting properly, period.

Now, for step 6, I tried import but all I got was a black box at the bottom and no indexed icon. So I tried add and that seemed to work. I got an indexed icon that looked perfectly fine, indexed at 0.

I then exported to DDS and ran the dungeon and got the error.

For the heck of it, I did the process again, this time using export for step 6 as to be exact to your instructions even though all I got was a black box and no index. I then exported to DDS again, ran the dungeon again and still got the uncompressed error.

Again, GAT is NOT exporting properly. I don't know how I can make this any clearer.

If you like, I can upload the PNG file I created, using GIMP, not Photoshop and you can see if it works. If it does, then the problem is simply that my GAT is not working on my OS, for whatever reason.

Again, I followed your instructions to the letter.
wagtunes

Post by wagtunes »

I tried something else. This you'll find fascinating.

I took the items.dds file just as is from assets and opened it in GIMP and did nothing to it. I simply saved a copy of it as a PNG file. I then took that PNG file and imported it into GAT. I then exported it as is to a DDS file overwriting the runes.dds that I had created.

I still get the uncompressed error.

GAT is not working, period.

So how do I create icons that will work WITHOUT GAT?

Give me the steps and I'll go through them just like I did above. Also, tell me what additional programs I will need to download or purchase in order to make this work. I've got a ton of money to burn as I never spend anything anymore.