[DONE] Grimrock Model Tookit

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
maneus

Re: [DONE] Grimrock Model Tookit

Post by maneus »

Me again. :D

So, after exporting the creepy skull model from the GMT into an .obj file and import it into blender, the mapping of the texture is totally confused:
SpoilerShow
As I´ve exported my original model from blender as an .fbx file the mapping has looked like this:
SpoilerShow
So Grimfbx could maybe do something with the mapping, or?
I´m not shure but I can´t imagine what it should be in addition.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

I have seen this in Blender itself, if the model is unwrapped, but the connected vertices cause overlaps. I have not seen this with imported assets ~before now.

The [Blender] FBX exporter does seem to change the state of the model after export... I don't really recall the details; things like leaving the model in a different pose, not UV changes.

Have you installed the Autodesk FBX converter utility? You can use it to load and/or convert FBX and collada files ~some others too.
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc ... d=22694909

___

Do you mean that the first image shows the exported OBJ from GMT? Is this from loading a grimFBX .model into GMT and then exporting it as OBJ?

** I would say... make a copy to work on, and delete all but a part of the model and try to import it ~make sure it at least works... perhaps just try the skull itself [initially].

It couldn't hurt to pin the vertices in the [Blender] UV editor either ~I suppose; just in case the change happened in Blender.
maneus

Post by maneus »

Yes, Isaac the first image shows the exported model from GMT.

But hey, I´ve fix my problem right now. I´ve installed the newest blender version 2.70 and after exporting the same model without any changes the model looks now normal as it should after GrimFBX.
So it was the fault of blender 2.67 and not of the (great) GrimFBX.

Thank you all for your help and tips and sorry for clutter up this thread. ;)
Last edited by maneus on Wed May 21, 2014 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

That's good to hear. 8-)
spectre900

Post by spectre900 »

Is it possible to duplicate or copy a mesh or even import new ones while working on a project in the toolkit? like loading one temple pillar then copying it so you have two pillars to work with and then say... import a decorative torch holder to place one one of the pillars and then save it as a whole object instead of having to edit each item individually and then try to place all 3 things correctly in the editor?

Or would I need a sort of 3D program for that? =/

It's just that trying to make some cool decoration that require some different parts will clutter the editor with so many items and you'd also have a mile long list of items to search through in the end. Kinda slows down the dungeon editing process a lot.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

spectre900 wrote:Is it possible to duplicate or copy a mesh or even import new ones while working on a project in the toolkit? like loading one temple pillar then copying it so you have two pillars to work with and then say... import a decorative torch holder to place one one of the pillars and then save it as a whole object instead of having to edit each item individually and then try to place all 3 things correctly in the editor?

Or would I need a sort of 3D program for that? =/

It's just that trying to make some cool decoration that require some different parts will clutter the editor with so many items and you'd also have a mile long list of items to search through in the end. Kinda slows down the dungeon editing process a lot.
What I did for my Slider puzzle in ORRR2, was place a script that spawned all of the separate objects using the script's own location and facing. Those assets don't even exist on the map in the editor; appearing only when the game is previewed, or played from the Dat.

This means that you just place the script where you want the collection of custom objects to appear; and you can even copy/paste the script, and put it somewhere else
~and it works fine.

*Alternatively... It's not too hard to learn Blender enough to make simple changes and export as FBX, then use GrimFBX to convert the file to a game-ready model.
Blender is free; http://www.blender.org.
.rhavin

Post by .rhavin »

Hi all,

I just testet the Model toolki.

i have grimrock asset pack at D:\Games\Assets\GR2\assets, current dungeon at D:\Games\The Return .

I can sell all models andd load them, but the're all white, the DropDown-Bolx right to [Set material] also has nothing to select from. Any way to debug this?
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Open the Settings menu, from within in the Tools menu. Enter the locations of the asset pack, and your current mod.

*It is also possible to define temporary materials within the application; use the materials [Matls] tab. Give it a name, and the path to a color-map image; click Update material.
.rhavin

Post by .rhavin »

Hi Isaac.

Yes, thats basically what I did:

http://q-pool.de/xd/toolkit.jpg

I just dont get aany Textures shown or mentioned in the drop-down-box. :(
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

You must first select a model node/mesh that has a material, then select the segment in the Node Segments dropdown list. Then you will have the choice of the assigned material, and any temporary materials you have defined in the application.

CTRL+R reloads the material library, also available in the Tools menu.

Unfortunately, the GMT was designed for (and works best with) Grimrock 1; the materials list will load from the LoG1 asset pack, but apparently not from the LoG2 asset pack.