EDITOR Feature Requests (not bugs!)

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Komag

EDITOR Feature Requests (not bugs!)

Post by Komag »

Beta updates have already addressed and added some of these

This thread is for minor or major editor feature requests, but not for bugs or problems
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- show incoming connections (such as when viewing a door Inspector, show the connection that a button has to it)
- drag-n-drop items currently on map
- another hotkey for "Open Trapdoor (debug)"
- model/item viewer (could be small window, below Asset Browser)
- option to have selected item also select it on the Asset Browser (perhaps near Name in the Inspector)
- "Asset Browser" - "Show" option for all assets currently being used in map, such as "used" or "in dungeon"
- a tip/hint that a door's "Opened by" requires a key Name, not a specific key ID
- option to place a "clean" item in a square, which removes the random dirt/decor. Or some way to select which squares will get random decoration, and which won't. (I love the random deco usually, saves me work, but just some areas like stairs or certain rooms I may want to control)
- a "zoom" function, perhaps 4to1 on the grid
- filter options for the map view (perhaps combined with option to select-all of that type of thing)
- group editing of identical objects, such as having 10 torch holders selected and adding a torch to all of them
- key to instantly move party to new location where mouse is hovering in editor, perhaps press PLAY to update, rather than moving start location and pressing STOP then PLAY
- hotkey toggle for invincibility/god mode
- auto backup of map file (with different name, maybe just "autobackup")
- option to "save as" to create own backup under different name
- copy/paste to produce new paste where mouse is instead of at original location
- way to edit the name and description of a dungeon other than during export
- "undo" feature (and "redo")
- way to remember editor position and size settings (like if I made my preview window larger) beta 1.2.10 can save editor window size and location, but doesn't remember things like preview window size yet]
- changing an item's ID should also change the ID's within any other items' connections to that item
- floating tooltips for every asset, briefly describing or explaining function
- "Sound" item which can be connected to and activated, with choice of sound as a setting

others?

DONE:
- [beta 1.2.11 added this] scrollbar added to Inspector if connections or other info list gets too long
- [beta 1.2.12 added this] button to click to clear console (maybe near the Play/Pause/Stop)
- [beta 1.2.12 added this] ability to click on a name in the autocomplete list when typing in Inspector (such as opened by key name) instead of having to press down arrow then Enter
Last edited by Komag on Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:48 pm, edited 21 times in total.
Finished Dungeons - complete mods to play
Montis

Re: EDITOR Feature Requests (not bugs!)

Post by Montis »

first thing I would want:
- teleport to (debug)

I know I can do a workaround by creating an entry point and restarting, but that's just clumsy.
When destiny calls, the chosen have no choice.

My completed dungeon (LoG1): Hypercube
Fistchandeles

Post by Fistchandeles »

-A way to connect a number of similar objects to the same switch, button, timer, etc. without having to do it individually.
Montis

Post by Montis »

- [beta 1.2.12 added this] Better text input field for scrolls and wall texts (i.e. not a single line but a text field with line breaks)

BuGi

Post by BuGi »

[beta 1.2.9 added this] Showing the cell coordinates on status bar when having mouse over them would be nice.
Montis

Post by Montis »

- [beta 1.2.12 added this] when you make a connector and type in the target manually, it would be nice to be able to click on a target from the appearing list or use the Tab key for auto-completion
- a zoom option on the editor map for when things get a little cluttered
- ability to display text on the middle of the screen (like wall text) for events
- cut scenes in the middle of the dungeon (that are neither intro nor end-game cut scenes)
- ability to remove / despawn stuff in the dungeon (e.g. items or cave ins) [implemented!]
Last edited by Montis on Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fistchandeles

Post by Fistchandeles »

- [beta 1.2.10 added this] The ability to reload assets so that you can get new cloned items without closing and opening again.
- Better support for illusionary walls, such as a tick box that removes the collision for secret doors.
- Allow wall assets to be placed in places that aren't walls.
- Hint boxes for Logic objects that explain what they're used for. (I have yet to figure out what Blocker is used for.)
- The ability to set the number that timers and counters activate at. Maybe even have the option of multiple numbers as well.
- Stats for the monster added to the inspector so that we can see how difficult it would be to fight them when changing levels.

Just a few thoughts to add.
Wurmwood

Post by Wurmwood »

a new tab that allows me to create/edit/clone items (including icons) with optional script enhancements
another tab that lists sounds with sound previews
yet another tab that lists particle effects and previews them
another tab that allows me to create/edit/clone spells with optional script enhancements
oh and a monster editor with the above options
Starnice

Post by Starnice »

- [beta 1.2.10 added this] Create/delete Props (temple_ceiling_lamp, prison_cave_in, ...) in a script.
guigr

Post by guigr »

1) The ability to undo last action.
Mistakes happen. Sometimes you think the playing window has the focus so you move items around in the editor. Not to mention that I deleted some stuff by accident :)

2) Copy and pasting the layout+items.
If you don't plan carefully and have to move a section of your level one block to the left, you can't :(