Help on Teleporters

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Moonsprite

Help on Teleporters

Post by Moonsprite »

Hi all,

Not sure if this is the right place for this but it seems a bit of a free for all atm in this area. I've also had a quick search if someone has already asked about this but I can't see anything.

What 'm trying to do is get a teleporter to activate on the spot where the party are when they press a button on the wall.

So in a single map square:
- I have a teleporter
- the teleporter is invisable
- I have a button
- I have set the button to activate the teleporter when button pressed
- I have set a target for the teleporter (where I assume the party will end up).

However, it doesn't seem to work. Pressing the button won't teleport the party.

Any ideas?
petri

Re: Help on Teleporters

Post by petri »

Does the teleporter have "Triggered by Party" ticked?
Moonsprite

Post by Moonsprite »

If I 'trigger by party' it doesnt wait for the button to be pressed.
petri

Post by petri »

You should set the initial state of the teleporter to deactivated and activate the teleporter when the button is pressed.
Moonsprite

Post by Moonsprite »

hehe, that's what i'm trying but failing to do :)
antti

Post by antti »

Moonsprite wrote:hehe, that's what i'm trying but failing to do :)
Here's a walkthrough that should result in what you're after:
1. Add a teleporter and set its initial state to "deactivated" using the dropdown in the inspector
2. Add a wall_button and add a new connector on it: set the teleporter as the target and make sure that "activate" is in its events
And that's all that should be required to get it working. Let us know how it goes. :)
Steven Seagal of gaming industry
Moonsprite

Post by Moonsprite »

Nope, don't work :)

I had wanted it invisable and silent but I notice that if i set it to be visable, I can trigger it to 'appear' (nice glowy sparkles) but it doesnt send me anywhere (although I do have a target set).
antti

Post by antti »

Moonsprite wrote:Nope, don't work :)

I had wanted it invisable and silent but I notice that if i set it to be visable, I can trigger it to 'appear' (nice glowy sparkles) but it doesnt send me anywhere (although I do have a target set).
Oh. To be honest I'm not completely certain anymore what you're after but one trick you can do with teleporters is to handle the moving of the player (the functionality of a teleporter, in other words) with a teleporter entity that is always silent and hidden. And then add another teleporter entity in the same square that will only handle the visuals and audio (the blue sparkles and the humming sound) of the teleporter but which doesn't actually perform any teleportation (by setting all the filters to off). This way you can toggle the teleporter functionality separate from its visuals.

But yeah, I'm not sure if this is of any help in this case, sorry. :)
Steven Seagal of gaming industry
Komag

Post by Komag »

I have gotten them working just fine with all sorts of settings. here is another very clear instruction:

1. place a teleporter (in a square near a wall)
2. place a wall button (in the same square as the teleporter)
3. select the wall button, click "Add Connector", select teleporter, it will now be on "activate"
4. select the teleporter, change it's Initial State to "Deactivated" (leave check boxes on default settings)
5. change the "Target" to the next square in the same room (such as changing the X by just one digit)

TEST IN GAME (in the Preview press STOP to reset the level, then press PLAY to restart)

It should work fine like that. Then you can go back and change the teleporter to Invisible and Silent, should still work the exact same way
Finished Dungeons - complete mods to play
Moonsprite

Post by Moonsprite »

Whoot thanks.

I have no idea what I did that made it not work, I think it was a combination of:

- Having the teleporter set as active
and
- Turning the 'trigger by party' off.

Whereas these two things need to be the opposite (Deactive and triggered by party on).

Thanks for everyone who tried to help.