Making new art assets (and WIP)

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Komag

Re: Making new art assets (and WIP)

Post by Komag »

The ceilings apparently can be tall or arched somewhat in the center, as you can see in the "cave in" ceiling. And of course there are the pit ceilings. But it looks like all the edges of the ceiling need to be down to the wall height on all four sides (unless you had a really custom section with some ceiling pieces that were tall but must go together or other things will look wrong)
Finished Dungeons - complete mods to play
J. Trudel

Post by J. Trudel »

Komag wrote:The ceilings apparently can be tall or arched somewhat in the center, as you can see in the "cave in" ceiling. And of course there are the pit ceilings. But it looks like all the edges of the ceiling need to be down to the wall height on all four sides (unless you had a really custom section with some ceiling pieces that were tall but must go together or other things will look wrong)
I also did notice that, as well as the floor tiles with 'grates' seems to be pretty deep, however I am not sure for wall height. They seems to be between 3,5 m and 4m but it's probably fixed since the engine needs to know where to put the ceiling.

Edit : Okay so from what I've read, every tiles are 3m x 3m, the pillars as well as the walls are also 3m tall. So... I am still wondering how this cube would be able to roll, and also how wide are walls, unles they are really only a surface and not a solid.
The Lurker
petri

Post by petri »

The ceiling can be at any height. Just model the walls as high as you like. The ceiling model should be modeled so that when it's placed in a square it is at the correct height.
J. Trudel

Post by J. Trudel »

petri wrote:The ceiling can be at any height. Just model the walls as high as you like. The ceiling model should be modeled so that when it's placed in a square it is at the correct height.
So if my understanding is corect I model the wall as high as I want and the ceiling will ajust itself automaticaly?
The Lurker
petri

Post by petri »

J. Trudel wrote:
petri wrote:The ceiling can be at any height. Just model the walls as high as you like. The ceiling model should be modeled so that when it's placed in a square it is at the correct height.
So if my understanding is corect I model the wall as high as I want and the ceiling will ajust itself automaticaly?
You have to model the ceiling so that it's floating in the air at the desired altitude.
juho

Post by juho »

J. Trudel wrote:So if my understanding is corect I model the wall as high as I want and the ceiling will ajust itself automaticaly?
You can model the walls as high as you want, but you have to compensate the wall height in the ceiling placement. Ceilings are automatically raised to default 3m.

Example: Dungeon wallset is in 3m grid, so the ceiling is in the origin and code lifts it by default into 3m height. Prison wallset is also in 3m grid, but walls are 3,8m high. That means that ceiling piece must be compensated by rising it 0,8m above origin and after code lifts it another 3m, you get the desired 3,8m ceiling height.
Follow me on Twitter: @JuhoMakingStuff
petri

Post by petri »

juho wrote:
J. Trudel wrote:So if my understanding is corect I model the wall as high as I want and the ceiling will ajust itself automaticaly?
You can model the walls as high as you want, but you have to compensate the wall height in the ceiling placement. Ceilings are automatically raised to default 3m.

Example: Dungeon wallset is in 3m grid, so the ceiling is in the origin and code lifts it by default into 3m height. Prison wallset is also in 3m grid, but walls are 3,8m high. That means that ceiling piece must be compensated by rising it 0,8m above origin and after code lifts it another 3m, you get the desired 3,8m ceiling height.
Oh, I had the impression that the walls were not offseted in code and would have to be modeled at the correct height. I stand corrected by the mighty Emperor :lol:
juho

Post by juho »

J. Trudel wrote:What exactly are those tileset rules? I am interested in making tilesets however it's hard to find the specs for wall pillars, floortiles etc. I understand that its a 3m grid but hat about wall height or thickness ? Can the ceiling be like a gothic arch or do it need to be flat ? Could the pillars be made bigger? Correct (maximum) x,y,z values for each 'parts' would be appreciated.
Rule of thumb obviously is that if you get everything working in 3m grid in you 3d modelling software you're in good shape. Obviously there are some restrictions in wall thickness like monsters clipping on too thick walls and things like levers and buttons may not sit on the wall correctly. But if you make all the assets, then you can do pretty much anything you want (in a 3m grid naturally).

If you want everything to be modular, "gothic arch" is problematic. It doesn't work in all directions. I guess only way (without code support) is to manually place different pieces to vertical and horizontal tunnels and naturally some connectors to crossroads.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

petri wrote:
J. Trudel wrote:
You have to model the ceiling so that it's floating in the air at the desired altitude.
When you say 'floating' does that mean that the Ceiling [and floor?] is a separate plane from the walls?

Does this mean that one cannot model arched ceilings?
Last edited by Isaac on Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
juho

Post by juho »

petri wrote:Oh, I had the impression that the walls were not offseted in code and would have to be modeled at the correct height. I stand corrected by the mighty Emperor :lol:
Walls are modeled in correct height above origin. I was talking about ceiling placement and compensating the higher walls.