Dungeon Editor Progress

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Patch

Re: Dungeon Editor Progress

Post by Patch »

HaunterV wrote:
Curunir wrote:You pasted a link to your "mod team" thread. Yet again, can't say if failing at using forum software or trolling. :?

I know .... But hey , I'll take it as a volunteer of services. I'm sure I won't run into problems too often, I plan on just level design and implementation of any community based mods I happen to like (new monsters, trap room designs, etc...). Naturally with credit given where credit is due.
Gah. Sorry guys. Totally didn't mean to. Link has been fixed. :)
Razgadz

Post by Razgadz »

petri wrote:Hi!

I decided to start with the hardest part, the script editor. The plan is to integrate the script editor directly into the dungeon editor so implementing advanced puzzles should be a breeze (at least for those who know a little bit of Lua coding ;) ).

Done:
- Initial planning

Work in progress:
- Script editor (50% done?)
*oooh - starting to read lua scripts tutorials *

and hehe usually if my boss asks me about the % done on a certain project its usually 80 % done - just a few *things* left to do like err the code behind :D
Eschia

Post by Eschia »

Good choice deciding to use Lua. I've worked with it in garrysmod. It's easy to pick up if you have prior knowledge in other scripting languages.
Curunir

Post by Curunir »

I am so lost :(

Wish I had persevered with ZDoom's ACS scripting, would have probably been useful now.
Rozy

Post by Rozy »

Wait... You're the same Curunir from the Zdom fourms arent you? Small world.
Curunir

Post by Curunir »

Haha, yeah, I am, actually! :lol:

Small world indeed! :)

[Edit] Hate to derail the thread but how do you even remember me? I haven’t posted there in ages. Drop me a PM if you want, so we don’t spam this dev topic. [/Edit]
Rozy

Post by Rozy »

Can and did do.

On topic though, can't wait for this thing to come out so I can learn it. Though I should finish the game first... Slowed down significantly by getting back into Arma II and Sniper Elite V2s impending release.
theruler

Post by theruler »

Sorry if it has been already pointed out: I suppose you already have some sort of dev editor. Which are the reasons why you build a new editor from scratch and don't release a modified version (more user friendly?) of it?
Just guessing.
petri

Post by petri »

theruler wrote:Sorry if it has been already pointed out: I suppose you already have some sort of dev editor. Which are the reasons why you build a new editor from scratch and don't release a modified version (more user friendly?) of it?
Just guessing.
That's a good question. We actually don't have a level editor at all. All levels have been coded in a text editor :)

We hope that the dungeon editor will be much easier to use (than editing Lua files directly) and also helps us in the development of expansions/DLCs/sequels/whatever we'll end up doing in the future.
theruler

Post by theruler »

petri wrote: We actually don't have a level editor at all. All levels have been coded in a text editor :)
:shock:

You have all my respect guys.
That's what you'd expect from thight deadlines. Leveleditors are for sissies! Oh, wait, like I am! ;-)