Dungeon Editor Progress

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
SpiderFighter

Re: Dungeon Editor Progress

Post by SpiderFighter »

raf68 wrote:I think it would be nice if the editor dungeon there would not be such a window that allows you to see the object preview before placing them in the dungeon when did click on an object What can see the object before to put
I think you're saying that you'd like a preview window? I usually go to http://grimrock.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Items. Doesn't take too much longer, and it saves room on the editor. :)
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Isaac wrote:
SpiderFighter wrote:
raf68 wrote:I think it would be nice if the editor dungeon there would not be such a window that allows you to see the object preview before placing them in the dungeon when did click on an object What can see the object before to put
I think you're saying that you'd like a preview window? I usually go to http://grimrock.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Items. Doesn't take too much longer, and it saves room on the editor. :)
Yeah, that's exactly what he wants (and others too I'm sure); it is noticeably missing...

** Of course it needn't be a live 3D preview... just an informative icon. I can attest to that jarring "what is that?" curiosity while working in the editor; and not wanting to stop editing to go look for it online, or place one what-ever-it-is into the map to look at it with the live preview.

Having a visual cue would improve workflow ~but be admittedly tedious to implement, as they would have to render out a texture atlas for every [non-inventory] object in the game.

** Does anyone want to volunteer to supply the texture atlas? :mrgreen:

*** POV raytracer does a really neat trick where they include a script that renders out preview icons that show off the program's material effects. The user runs the script and gets high-quality preview images automatically used in the app.
I wonder if that would work with something like the GMT; something that autoloads a model file, rotates it, and renders it... writing each image out to an atlas. :?:
Neikun

Post by Neikun »

I like that idea :o
"I'm okay with being referred to as a goddess."
Community Model Request Thread
See what I'm working on right now: Neikun's Workshop
Lead Coordinator for Legends of the Northern Realms Project
  • Message me to join in!
Komag

Post by Komag »

Isaac you always have THE BEST concept animgifs, really works to sell your idea when we can see it so vividly!
Finished Dungeons - complete mods to play
raf68

Post by raf68 »

yes isaac has all agree

the problem is that new players do not know if that represents this object
or someone who does not understand English with a viewing window can all now see what it's like to be put in before the dungeon are