Dungeon Editor Progress

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Darklord

Re: Dungeon Editor Progress

Post by Darklord »

Dandy wrote:I now crown Almost Human as kings of the dungeon crawler.
LONG LIVE THE KING!

Daniel.
A gently fried snail slice is absolutely delicious with a pat of butter...
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

theruler wrote:
petri wrote: We actually don't have a level editor at all. All levels have been coded in a text editor :)
:shock:

You have all my respect guys.
That's what you'd expect from thight deadlines. Leveleditors are for sissies! Oh, wait, like I am! ;-)
Actually you know, the text dungeon creation sounded good they did a blog on it back in Sepetember last year, Here's the link. :)

http://www.grimrock.net/2011/09/09/buil ... n-part-ii/

I would happily have a tinker with it! :D

Daniel.
Curunir

Post by Curunir »

Jesus, I knew the levels were coded by hand but I hadn’t realized they used a freaking roguelike ASCII map. Typing out monospaced-font maps and then decorating them with lines of text seems like awesome fun! :D
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

I know, cool isn't it! :D

Daniel.
SpiderFighter

Post by SpiderFighter »

Petri, thank you guys for everything you've done for your fans. In all honesty, you could have released LoG, watched it soar, and sat back counting your pennies until the release of LoG II. Instead, you decided to not only give us some more love in the way of support and the editing tools, but to bust your asses doing it. Thank you so much! Four guys pulling together an incredible game and showing love for it that you have...there is nothing more retro than that. :) Hopefully you'll inspire others to do the same.

I have one question about the GUI you're working on. I'd love the text-editor you used during development, but I understand why you can't release it. However, I was wondering if we'll still be able to update the game on the fly? That was such an amazing (and time-saving) feature!

Thanks again!
theruler

Post by theruler »

Darklord wrote: Actually you know, the text dungeon creation sounded good they did a blog on it back in Sepetember last year, Here's the link. :)

http://www.grimrock.net/2011/09/09/buil ... n-part-ii/

I would happily have a tinker with it! :D

Daniel.
:o
Missed!
Thanks!
Crashbanito

Post by Crashbanito »

Is that Sublime Text I see? ;)
Grimrock FAQ | If you see something fishy, flag that post! | My Gaming/Tech Blog
Eschia

Post by Eschia »

I can't wait to get started. I must admit I am a bit rusty with Lua because I haven't used it in a few years, but I should be able to pick it right back up after delving into it again. I've used many different programming, scripting, and markup languages, and I always manage to return to them. Only because they all tend to use a similar tree format, which makes them easy to learn IMHO. Some of my fondest memories as a gamer were scripting and modding plugins for garrysmod, making my own UI pieces for EberQuest 2, or scripting gadgets in Second Life. I do feel that once you know how everything is made, it does take some realism out of a game, but I choose not to think about that too much. :)
SpiderFighter

Post by SpiderFighter »

Eschia wrote:I can't wait to get started. I must admit I am a bit rusty with Lua because I haven't used it in a few years, but I should be able to pick it right back up after delving into it again. I've used many different programming, scripting, and markup languages, and I always manage to return to them. Only because they all tend to use a similar tree format, which makes them easy to learn IMHO. Some of my fondest memories as a gamer were scripting and modding plugins for garrysmod, making my own UI pieces for EberQuest 2, or scripting gadgets in Second Life. I do feel that once you know how everything is made, it does take some realism out of a game, but I choose not to think about that too much. :)
Second Life! Wow...I remember doing the gadget thing too, a few years ago. Forgot all about that. You should be fine with Lua, especially if you've used it before. And it doesn't sound like the editor will need heavy scripting anyway, unless you want to get crazy. ;)
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

I have no idea how to use LUA, on the bright side I can copy/paste, make small edits to obvious text and can also use Google! (If you can use Google you can do almost anything!) :P

Daniel.