Optional turn-based mode?

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
hguhgu

Optional turn-based mode?

Post by hguhgu »

Hi, people from the internet.

I just wanted to ask if anybody knows whether a turn-based mode would be possible? My little cousins love this game, but real time combat usually ends up a bit too difficult for them. If they could toggle a turn-based thing, they would probably be able to play through it on easy.

Thanks!
Crashbanito

Re: Optional turn-based mode?

Post by Crashbanito »

While I wouldn't say that turn-based would fit the scope of the base Grimrock, I wouldn't put it past a nice flurry of modders once those tools are released. ;)
Grimrock FAQ | If you see something fishy, flag that post! | My Gaming/Tech Blog
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

Another option could be playing on easy, if not maybe try a speed mod? :)

Cheat Engine (use at own risk!)

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1688&hilit=speed&start=40#p18696

Fan made timer patch,(adjusting speed may cause other issues so only do this is you feel you must)

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1688&hilit=speed&start=40#p18684

Daniel.
A gently fried snail slice is absolutely delicious with a pat of butter...
gambit37

Post by gambit37 »

"I love Chess, but it's too hard, can we change the rules?"
"I love football, but it's a bit too fast for me, can we slow it down?"
"I love [this thing], but only if it's changed to suit [my way of playing]"

While I can understand younger children having some problems with timing, it's nothing they can't overcome with sheer practice. Back in my day we actually, you know, learned how beat games by practising them. We didn't wail that they were too hard and ask for them to be changed.

You will be doing your cousins a huge favour by encouraging them to practice and get better at the game. The lesson learned will not only be valuable in Mount Grimrock, but also in life.
Flying Ace

Post by Flying Ace »

I would love to have this as an option (as an option mind you) because I would like to be able to play the game both ways, it would make the gameplay twice as long I mean you could play the game again but with different combat concepts

I would also like if when you open the inventory it would pause the game(optional mind you) but have a normal mode where it still doesn't
"Oh just your average dungeon explorer and world saver yeah I get that a lot"

Daniel.
pongsifu

Post by pongsifu »

My all-time favorite game is turn-based, but Grimrock is obviously built about real time combat. It would probably be really really boring in turn based. Taking turns circling strafing around each other.
seebs

Post by seebs »

gambit37 wrote:"I love Chess, but it's too hard, can we change the rules?"
"I love football, but it's a bit too fast for me, can we slow it down?"
"I love [this thing], but only if it's changed to suit [my way of playing]"

While I can understand younger children having some problems with timing, it's nothing they can't overcome with sheer practice. Back in my day we actually, you know, learned how beat games by practising them. We didn't wail that they were too hard and ask for them to be changed.

You will be doing your cousins a huge favour by encouraging them to practice and get better at the game. The lesson learned will not only be valuable in Mount Grimrock, but also in life.
Back in the day, we also used to just make fun of the handicapped.

While it's generally good to try to get good at something, keep in mind, not everyone can. Games are not really a life-or-death issue, and if people have more fun changing the way the game works, fine by me. It'd probably be pretty easy to make grimrock act sorta turn-based, although it'd be... well, I'd guess it'd be pretty boring, and also probably buggy, depending on how you did it. Well, buggy pretty much no matter what.
gambit37

Post by gambit37 »

seebs wrote:Back in the day, we also used to just make fun of the handicapped.
What a lovely person you must be. :roll: A ridiculous comment that has nothing to do with this conversation.
seebs wrote:While it's generally good to try to get good at something, keep in mind, not everyone can. Games are not really a life-or-death issue, and if people have more fun changing the way the game works, fine by me.
The point I'm making is that it seems these days, people just give up far too easily. I can't count the number of threads where players are asking for this or that aspect of the gameplay to be changed to suit them. As a gamer of 25 years, and remembering well what games were like back in the day, I know how much satisfaction I got by learning how to play a game and beat it. I just find it weird that there seems to be a lack of will and determination to take on the challenge a modern game presents on its own terms.

We talk about how games have "dumbed down" yet judging by many of these conversations asking for simpler games, it's us who have dumbed down and simply can no longer handle a decent challenge. Encouraging younger kids not to accept challenges and look for an easy way out isn't really the way to go about things, and may well encourage a bad attitude towards life in general.

A question for @hguhgu, the original poster: how old are your younger cousins?
HaunterV

Post by HaunterV »

gambit37 wrote:
What a lovely person you must be. :roll: A ridiculous comment that has nothing to do with this conversation.
seebs wrote:While it's generally good to try to get good at something, keep in mind, not everyone can. Games are not really a life-or-death issue, and if people have more fun changing the way the game works, fine by me.
The point I'm making is that it seems these days, people just give up far too easily. I can't count the number of threads where players are asking for this or that aspect of the gameplay to be changed to suit them. As a gamer of 25 years, and remembering well what games were like back in the day, I know how much satisfaction I got by learning how to play a game and beat it. I just find it weird that there seems to be a lack of will and determination to take on the challenge a modern game presents on its own terms.

We talk about how games have "dumbed down" yet judging by many of these conversations asking for simpler games, it's us who have dumbed down and simply can no longer handle a decent challenge. Encouraging younger kids not to accept challenges and look for an easy way out isn't really the way to go about things, and may well encourage a bad attitude towards life in general.

A question for @hguhgu, the original poster: how old are your younger cousins?
As to the changing games to suit the player not the other way around, that's how we ended up with games like CoD and Halo.

on the other hand, that's also how we got games like LittleBIGPlanet, so ..... I dunno.
Grimrock Community 'FrankenDungeon 2012. Submit your entry now!: http://tinyurl.com/cnupr7h
SUBMIT YOUR ASSETS! Community Asset Pack (C.A.P.): http://tinyurl.com/bqvykrp
Behold! The HeroQuest Revival!: http://tinyurl.com/cu52ksc
unclerage

Post by unclerage »

gambit37 wrote:
First, I realize that this thread dates back a few weeks, but I find it to still be quite relavent.

Seebs point, I do believe, is that there are people with physical handicaps that make playing the game difficult due to their hardship. As a society, we've progressed to a point where a person is not simply left behind (in most leisure activities) because they have arthritis, limited motor functions, etc...

I play the guitar, bass and keyboard (rather well, too). I type an average of 90 wpm. I'm a sysadmin by trade. I have one hand -- left hand at that.

My point here is that I have overcome a physical hardship to do something I find enjoyable (playing instruments) and build the physical skills (fast, accurate typing) to pursue a technical career. I'm an older gamer (40). I enjoy well crafted games: solid FPS's, RPG's, etc... I play WoW with my lover (granted, she enjoys it more than I do) and I play on multiple platforms (console and PC). But, there are certain types of games that are near impossible for me to play because I physically cannot (mostly console, but occasionally control schemes on the PC are simply too restrictive/unintuitive due to my lack of a hand).

By your initial logic, I should just stick it out (which I am, I'm enjoying LoG for the most part) and not wish that the game had been designed with more play options which would increase my enjoyment.

But, the game would be more enjoyable for me if I weren't dancing all over due to the clunky feeling of hybrid key/mouse interaction. Even allowing me to rely solely on keyboard alone would be helpful; but turn based combat would be aces (not to mention, give it more of a tactical feel that would transform the game into more of a thinker and less of a twitcher).

I bought this via GOG the other day (got it working via a wrapper), I'll buy it again when it comes out for the Mac (so I can drop the clunky Wine framework) and I plan on buying a couple of copies for friends this weekend. I appreciate the craftsmanship of the game and I love supporting hard working indy developers with my hard earned dollars.

All that said, when I come to a section of the forum dedicated to game modding (specifically looking for this topic); I'd have expected to see a more thorough discussion related to game modding and not to 'just practice so you don't suck at life'.

FWIW, this is the worst time of the year for me to even think of non-work related projects; but I'm tempted to look deeper into the modding side of the game. If this is a possibility without being too messy, I might stop playing and start coding. This game would rock (even harder) as a solid turn based combat game.