Buffing monsters

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
bumbulator

Buffing monsters

Post by bumbulator »

Hello and good morning. So, I would like to buff monsters in the vanilla game, no custom dungeons or anything. I noticed in the asset pack, there are monster scripts with the variables I need -- health, XP given, and so on, but I do not know what to do with the edited assets or where to even put the edited assets after they are... edited.

The modding guide says that the asset pack must be distributed as a .dat file but how do I make a .dat file from the asset pack? I've also tried the .dat file extractor to get to the .lua files but those are not editable.

Is there a way to play with stronger monsters in the regular game, and if so, how?
7Soul

Re: Buffing monsters

Post by 7Soul »

You can't do that in Grimrock 1, while in LoG2 there's a beta build with the new modding system called UMod, which makes this possible if you're willing to go a bit deeper into it
Join the LoG discord server: https://discord.gg/ArgAgNN :D

My Mods
bumbulator

Post by bumbulator »

That is severely disappointing. Is there any way I can make combat more challenging without self-limiting?

It's just weird... I look through the asset pack and see monster stats and I'm just like, there has to be a way to get that in the vanilla game. The devs tweaked their monsters at one point so I figured we could, although I guess we lack the tools?
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

*:lol: —trying to delete this erroneous post, and accidentally self-reported it.
Last edited by Isaac on Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bumbulator

Post by bumbulator »

Does that include the vanilla game? I don't want to use any custom dungeons, just run through the vanilla campaign with tougher creatures. Is that still doable?
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

The way you do this is define new monsters that are different from the regular ones—even if they look the same.
bumbulator

Post by bumbulator »

How do I do that?

EDIT: This is for LoG 1 & 2 that I want this for. IDK how to do what you said in your deleted post, much less how to do it without using a mod. :cry:
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

If you mean to alter the default campaign from the game, then no; it's read-only.

However... there is a mod —by a moderator :) — that replicates the LoG1 main campaign, and that could be altered to suit.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... =132493547
https://www.nexusmods.com/grimrock/mods/239

*Question: Have you tried playing the games with higher difficulty settings? —if that's your aim.
Last edited by Isaac on Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bumbulator

Post by bumbulator »

Interesting. So Master Quest is just the main game but with more content?

Also -- regarding what 7Soul said about LoG2, is there a guide or something that someone like me can read to understand what needs to be done to make LoG2 combat more challenging?
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

My first LoG2 game used the options of Ironman, and Single Use Crystals; that was quite an intense challenge for me. 8-)

For LoG2, it is —mostly— possible to upgrade the default monsters that are placed on the maps. This won't affect those that are dynamically created via scripts. It requires console access, and running a carefully formatted one line script.

It would entail iterating through every level, and altering every monster object via script.
Last edited by Isaac on Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.