Buffing monsters

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Isaac

Re: Buffing monsters

Post by Isaac »

bumbulator wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:33 pm How do I do this?
For starters... I'd install a decent text editor that supports large files, offers line numbers. ;)

But even if not, you first place the mod folder in the Dungeons folder;
usually: \Documents\Almost Human\Legend of Grimrock\Dungeons

Within the mod folder, edit the monsters.lua file found here: \mod_assets\scripts\monsters.lua

Anything in the file that is preceded by two dashes "--" is ignored as a comment.

When done, run the game, and choose the editor from the main menu; load the mod and then choose export from the editor file menu. Save the mod with a new name. Afterwards, close the editor and run the game; choose custom dungeon; select your mod.
bumbulator wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:45 pm By the way, for some reason, I am unable to edit Master Quest's monster.lua file. :(
The mod folder, in the zip file must be extracted from the zip file; it cannot be run (or edited) from within the archive itself.
bumbulator

Post by bumbulator »

Oops, yeah, I forgot to unpack the .rar.

How do I load the mod in the Dungeon Editor? The Explorer window is asking for Dungeon files and there aren't any that I can see included with Master Quest.

What I did was this: put the mod_assets folder in the Dungeons folder, edit the monster.lua file... and now not sure what to do next since I don't know how to load the mod (per your directions) in the editor from the main menu.
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

Isaac wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:48 pm If you mean to alter the default campaign from the game, then no; it's read-only.

However... there is a mod —by a moderator :) — that replicates the LoG1 main campaign, and that could be altered to suit.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... =132493547
https://www.nexusmods.com/grimrock/mods/239

*Question: Have you tried playing the games with higher difficulty settings? —if that's your aim.
err .. i fear Isaac mixed up Komag's mods.

If your aim is to modify the main campaign you should go with Komag's LoG Remake.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... =131395954
Sorry, i don't know the nexus link but you should be able to find it there pretty easy.

The reason why you should go with Komag's Remake and not MasterQuest is that MasterQuest has it's own method to buff it's monsters. Depending on your party strength MQ monsters can become very strong and at some point they will even reach one-hit-kill strength! Trust me, i've experienced it myself.
bumbulator

Post by bumbulator »

I think you may be right, Dr. Disaster. I see that the Remake mod has a Legend of Grimrock - Remake.dungeon_editor file. I assume this is what he meant by loading the mod up?
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Dr.Disaster wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:29 am err .. i fear Isaac mixed up Komag's mods.
Not only mixed them up, but didn't know about the other one. :oops:
Komag

Post by Komag »

Remake is just that, straightforward remake. Master Quest changes lots of things and adds new areas while being true to the core of the original. It automatically increases the monster difficulty depending on the strength of the imported party starting the adventure, so is a great option for a second playthrough with an experienced party.
Finished Dungeons - complete mods to play
Kirill

Post by Kirill »

Komag wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:38 pm Remake is just that, straightforward remake. Master Quest changes lots of things and adds new areas while being true to the core of the original. It automatically increases the monster difficulty depending on the strength of the imported party starting the adventure, so is a great option for a second playthrough with an experienced party.
Game itself is very easy. To make monsters harder you need buff their speed, not HP or damage.