Allies???

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Resu

Allies???

Post by Resu »

Is it somehow! possible to make a monster that attacks! your enemies?
Isaac

Re: Allies???

Post by Isaac »

I haven't tried it, but I have wondered about it. Not just allies, but summoned monsters too.

In Grimrock II, there are hooks that would enable one to detect monsters that attack the party, and to direct the allied monsters towards those attackers.

There is no dedicated damage Monster function, the way there is for a champion. Tile damagers would do the job —crudely; hitting everything on the tile. Projectile attacks might work, but I think melee attacks would have to be faked somehow.
Last edited by Isaac on Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Resu

Post by Resu »

So you think in Grimrock 1 its.. impossible?
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

In Grimrock 1, the onDealDamage monster hook, gives the champion hit; which confirms a melee attack by that monster. It could report itself as attacking the party, and the id might be used for an ally's faked retaliation... but there are no commands to initiate attacks or play on demand animations AFAIK. Not like in Grimrock II, where one can direct the monster brain, and call for animations to be played.

Hooks for projectile hits don't give the attacker. I don't know offhand, if the onDealDamage hook triggers for ranged attacks.

LoG2 would be the best choice of the two, to implement this kind of a change. If possible in LoG1, it would be flaky at best.
Halluinoid

Post by Halluinoid »

when DOOM came out in 1993 it soon became apparent that certain monsters would react to friendly fire, not all, but certain would "turn on" other monsters who caught them in cross fire

you do see unintentional crossfire in LOG2 e.g a common one is the small herder who will often pump out poison towards the party but catch another monster in between! how cool would it be to then see that monster "turn on" the small herder in retaliation

we saw it in 1993's DOOM , it was coded in then ;)
HypnoToad

Post by HypnoToad »

Halluinoid wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:05 pm when DOOM came out in 1993 it soon became apparent that certain monsters would react to friendly fire, not all, but certain would "turn on" other monsters who caught them in cross fire

you do see unintentional crossfire in LOG2 e.g a common one is the small herder who will often pump out poison towards the party but catch another monster in between! how cool would it be to then see that monster "turn on" the small herder in retaliation

we saw it in 1993's DOOM , it was coded in then ;)
And in Halo for PC you could change the team enemies were on to your team and they would attack other enemies, but it works entirely differently in LOG.
Return of the Dark Lord - V3.5 Download:
https://www.nexusmods.com/grimrock/mods ... escription
Komag

Post by Komag »

I'm in fact working on this exact thing this past week in my own game. in all projectile or melee attacks I send the attacker id, and it checks for teams and "rivals" (who has been hit by who) to see where to direct next attacks. It's fun to see monster turn on each other! :twisted: I still need to code in fleeing on low health (for some types of monsters), and a few other implementation details.
Finished Dungeons - complete mods to play
HypnoToad

Post by HypnoToad »

Komag wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:32 pm I'm in fact working on this exact thing this past week in my own game. in all projectile or melee attacks I send the attacker id, and it checks for teams and "rivals" (who has been hit by who) to see where to direct next attacks. It's fun to see monster turn on each other! :twisted: I still need to code in fleeing on low health (for some types of monsters), and a few other implementation details.
Sounds great, can't wait to check it out.
Return of the Dark Lord - V3.5 Download:
https://www.nexusmods.com/grimrock/mods ... escription
Resu

Post by Resu »

Komag wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:32 pm I'm in fact working on this exact thing this past week in my own game. in all projectile or melee attacks I send the attacker id, and it checks for teams and "rivals" (who has been hit by who) to see where to direct next attacks. It's fun to see monster turn on each other! :twisted: I still need to code in fleeing on low health (for some types of monsters), and a few other implementation details.
awesome!

Id love to see the scripts in action :)