Custom Portraits?

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Darklord

Re: Custom Portraits?

Post by Darklord »

petri wrote:Unless you want compression artifacts it's better to use ARGB_8888 format instead... or wait for the official feature :)
Oooh but waiting is so hard! :lol:

Daniel.
A gently fried snail slice is absolutely delicious with a pat of butter...
King Semos

Post by King Semos »

Empyrean wrote:Seeing as how a minotaur is a bull's head on a man's body, I'm not quite sure what you're expecting here.
Bit rude.. :cry:

Anyway I will indeed explain for you. I was not using "Minotaur" as a proper noun to reference the mythological creature. I was actually using it as a common noun to reference the generic race of bull-headed creatures in 20th and 21st century fantasy fiction. Maybe the Bull of Minos had descriptively human flesh tones but in Grimrocks case I'm just going with what I see.

As you can see, the Minotaurs have greyish, greenish, brownish flesh tones beyond their faces. Well its not actually flesh its hair as I imagine. You can see the picture below, his hands are definitely greyish. So yeah, I think it would be an easy little detail to implement. That and of course the more aggressive hand, like a fist, you know? Of course its all preference, if you like to think of your Minotaur as Asterion The Ruler of The Stars, you might not want this change.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIdpcTDoWk8

:mrgreen:
bushido

Post by bushido »

Thanks for good tutorial, now i have marvelous witcher team :

http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/7443 ... 00001t.jpg

FABULOUS!
Patchumz

Post by Patchumz »

Empyrean wrote:
King Semos wrote:Something I was thinking about that is very similar to this, would also be updating the "Hand portraits". My Minotaur seems to have Human hands, and if I were to ever go the route of Unarmed I would very much like it if the hand matched the race and maybe had a more aggressive pose, seems to be an underhand slap atm. Just a thought.
Seeing as how a minotaur is a bull's head on a man's body, I'm not quite sure what you're expecting here.
Minotaurs are colored differently. That's all I'd need for a hand model, personally :P.
resonansER

Post by resonansER »

bushido wrote:Thanks for good tutorial, now i have marvelous witcher team :

http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/7443 ... 00001t.jpg

FABULOUS!
WOOOW!!! COOL!! I want the same portrait! How did you do that?!
Rozy

Post by Rozy »

Haha. Happy to have helped someone out in doing the same in some roundabout way. Just made my day man.

resonansER back on the first page I outlined how I did my own swaps, though the next patch may or may not have custom portraits according to the devs so if it's too involved you might want to wait on it.
bushido

Post by bushido »

After i get back from college i will upload ready files, which you need to patch to Grimrock.dat and how to do that easily (you must make backup and do only two things to patch dat file), so you can have witcher portraits in game.

As far as i trying to mod scripts i see there all portraits are hard coded now, if you want to have more portraits than are hard coded in lua you must edit some scripts to get more portraits available in window, but it isnt working properly. :(

Game is checking the most part of the scripts before start, so if you make a little mistake game will die, and you must make patching from beggining without invalid scripts (i want to make class change to witcher and others valid with witcher world, but now i have integrity fail.. hope modding tools will get here soon, so i can make witcher adventure for this game much easier). I will try more... ^^

As i can see game is made with lua scripts, resources and engine, which uses this objects. With properly editing scripts and resources we can make even different game like making new monster alternative for spiders (i saw them.... they are really, really creepy :( , there will be fine to make alternative monster, not just script edit for other monsters), but i dont know how veryfying object algorithm works (if there is something like that) and most changes makes game not start.
Uhh.. now as i see i cant post edited files without breaking modding forum rules. We must wait for some easy tools to distribute edited files...
Nerdbot

Post by Nerdbot »

About custom portraits:
For any old people and Dungeon Master Veterans like me among the Grimrock enthusiasts this might be of interest:

http://angrymeteor.com/2012/04/19/hello-again/

Thought I'd share this with you guys.
Derp.
Jack Dandy

Post by Jack Dandy »

Nerdbot wrote:About custom portraits:
For any old people and Dungeon Master Veterans like me among the Grimrock enthusiasts this might be of interest:

http://angrymeteor.com/2012/04/19/hello-again/

Thought I'd share this with you guys.
:shock:
DUDE. These are all kinds of badass. Very professional looking! Great job!
Rob

Post by Rob »

Oh man, the memories you brought back there for a few minutes. Thanks.