spider mod pls :)

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
MikeKathos

Re: spider mod pls :)

Post by MikeKathos »

Here I thought I was the only one who hated spiders in games...they creep me the hell out. I've played through the game 4 times and they still creep me out.
spoilspot

Post by spoilspot »

Pajamas wrote:This really isn't a solution, as it is removing a core enemy from the game. No other enemy can poision you, thus making them a neccessary evil.
Absolutely agree. Changing the model to something less spidery while keeping their behavior and difficulty the same, would be preferable.
I look forward to having the tools to do that. Alas, my skills so far only allow me to change single values in the Lua files (one monster name to another, one xp value to something else, etc).
Pajamas wrote: Also, as far as I am aware, there are no map editing tools yet, so you have to wait. Also, WHY MAKE ANOTHER THREAD WHEN THERE IS ALREADY A THREAD LITERALLY 2 POSTS BELOW YOURS!
Are you referring to the thread "How about a spider replacement mod?" (viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1642) which was created 20 minutes after this thread?

/L
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

Please be nice to each other guys. :)

Daniel.
A gently fried snail slice is absolutely delicious with a pat of butter...
Lewney

Post by Lewney »

Hi guys,

i was very happy to find the unspider script posted by spoilspot, and even happier to see Bloops' instructions, so i followed Bloops' instructions, but when i enter the command in the command prompt, i get a SyntaxError, after looking around online for hours and asking friends who are a little tech-savvy and have had experience with programming and scripts (sadly none had experience with python) - i still can't figure out the problem.

So i was hoping i could get help here, because i most likely did something stupidly wrong, so..

here's the python folder with the script i saved as unspider.py and the grimrock.dat file

and here's the error i get

i looked online and the information i found stated that the carot (^) pointed out what i did wrong (it points at the r, but it actually means the period) - but i have no idea what or how to change it so it does work, i tried a lot of different ways of typing the command, even changed the file name a few times with no luck.
its probably just something stupid i'm doing wrong, but i'd still like help with it. D:

Thanks in Advance.
chautygorcy

Post by chautygorcy »

could finish games like avp gold and avp 2(facehuggers) but i have to struggle real hard with those face huggers. i can play games when spiders are in low numbers , but games like dark messiah of might and magic or turok 2 (spider lair) there are sick.
spoilspot

Post by spoilspot »

Lewney wrote: and here's the error i get

I think you have started the python executable instead of the windows command prompt.
Try running (press windows+r) "cmd.exe". This should start a windows command prompt.
In that you write the following commands:
c:
cd \python27
.\python.exe unspider.py .
(the first is probably unnecessary, since your working directory is likely to be on the C drive anyway).
This should run the script as explained by Bloop, and you can copy the assets folder and grimrock.dat file back to your Grimrock directory.
I hope the script works with Python 2.7 - I've found out it sure doesn't work with Python 3+ :)

Cheers
/L
Arska

Post by Arska »

Has someone already tested if this works with the 1.1.4 patch as well?
antjohnst

Post by antjohnst »

Hmmm this is very interesting to me. I'm not here to take a side on the arguments or put people down, i just wanted to say objectively:

I never though that a digital spider like that could scare people, arachnophobic or otherwise. A 3D environment or virtual reality situation maybe, but I had never thought somethign 2D on a screen could evoke that reaction. This had been eye-opening for me. It reminds me of that early movie of a train coming into the station, and the audience jumped out of the way thinking it was going to hit them because they had never seen a movie before! Maybe the gamer community has a special connection with their monitors where it seems more real than it is.

Either way, this will be useful for me when considering future product design.
oodyboo

Post by oodyboo »

I wonder if people would be better off in the long run trying to tackle their phobias rather than spending all this time and effort trying to avoid them.

I am not a psychiatrist, but isn't gradual exposure the best way to conquer phobias? And don't they often use virtual representations to start that process?

What about claustrophobia? Maybe a mod that makes ceiling tiles look like open sky?
Necrophobia? Reskin the skeletons?
Blennophobia? Reskin the blobs?

I'm not against optional mods like these. Just throwing it out there that maybe this is an opportunity to face your fears rather than avoid them.
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

Guys, can we stop criticising those with phobias.

Some people have a spider phobia and prefer to use a mod which is fine, please do not have a go at them for it, suggest they seek therepy etc. (It's been said over and over already)

Be excellent to each other!

Daniel.
A gently fried snail slice is absolutely delicious with a pat of butter...