[MOD] The Return of the Dark Lord

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
edensgreen1
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:24 am

Re: [MOD] The Return of the Dark Lord

Post by edensgreen1 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:15 am

yes, that's what I did, used the alcove first, then did the buttons. BTW I also noticed that if I put a second object into the alcove the game crashed also. So I will now reload my earlier game, catch up and push the buttons first, see what happens. Tks.

User avatar
HypnoToad
Posts: 70
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:19 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: [MOD] The Return of the Dark Lord

Post by HypnoToad » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:23 am

edensgreen1 wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:15 am
yes, that's what I did, used the alcove first, then did the buttons. BTW I also noticed that if I put a second object into the alcove the game crashed also. So I will now reload my earlier game, catch up and push the buttons first, see what happens. Tks.
It should work for you (fingers crossed), I have fixed the problem in V3, I should have tried all options, I was a complete novice when it came to scripting then, now I am a part novice. ;)

Now I know why game makers have a team of beta testers trying to break the game. :D
Return of the Dark Lord - V3.5 Download:
https://www.nexusmods.com/grimrock/mods ... escription

edensgreen1
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:24 am

Re: [MOD] The Return of the Dark Lord

Post by edensgreen1 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:57 am

Oh, you have done a fantastic job; made a fantastic mod. Your puzzles are very clever. So I reloaded and started from lvl 5 again, this time pressed the 5 gr. buttons first. It worked. Got the key. But then putting something in the alcove crashed the game. Hmm?? So I had saved after getting the key, reloaded there and just continued down without putting anything in the alcove. I managed to get thru the "nightmare" which was the ghost train, a "hell" of a ride BTW. The lift (elevator) was a nice touch. So I am off to banish the bad guy, wish me luck ..

edensgreen1
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:24 am

Re: [MOD] The Return of the Dark Lord

Post by edensgreen1 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:28 am

OK so here's another glitch...I dropped the cage but I missed getting goromorg guy into the cage, then I approached the cage as I dodged him. The transporter appeared in the cage, and the "I will be back" message appeared. But bad guy was still there outside the cage. So I lifted the cage up, this time caught him in it and approached the cage, but nothing happened. But I could then leave thru "way out."

User avatar
HypnoToad
Posts: 70
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:19 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: [MOD] The Return of the Dark Lord

Post by HypnoToad » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:00 am

edensgreen1 wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:57 am
Oh, you have done a fantastic job; made a fantastic mod. Your puzzles are very clever. So I reloaded and started from lvl 5 again, this time pressed the 5 gr. buttons first. It worked. Got the key. But then putting something in the alcove crashed the game. Hmm?? So I had saved after getting the key, reloaded there and just continued down without putting anything in the alcove. I managed to get thru the "nightmare" which was the ghost train, a "hell" of a ride BTW. The lift (elevator) was a nice touch. So I am off to banish the bad guy, wish me luck ..
Thanks again for the positive words, just one question when doing the ghost train, did you grab the torch instead of the key? I did that a lot. :lol:
edensgreen1 wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:28 am
OK so here's another glitch...I dropped the cage but I missed getting goromorg guy into the cage, then I approached the cage as I dodged him. The transporter appeared in the cage, and the "I will be back" message appeared. But bad guy was still there outside the cage. So I lifted the cage up, this time caught him in it and approached the cage, but nothing happened. But I could then leave thru "way out."
Out of the dozens of times I have tried that and trapped Goromog, once it did that to me, I thought it was a fluke so I reloaded at the time I put the item in the alcove and tried again, if he is moving out of the square at the split second you put the cage down it can happen, I have been meaning to look at it but didn't think it would happen often.

I just looked at it again and when he steps on the hidden pressure plate in the square and you step on the one that puts the cage down it sets of the rest, not sure how come he can be off the square and it still happens, must be down to the delay in the program running. :(

Okay on further investigation I changed it to if the pressure plate Goromog steps on is down and the cage is down it sets the end in motion, I mean he must be in there, should have done that first up. ;)

My scripting was a bit hit and miss back then it seems.

Thanks for being my beta tester ;)
Return of the Dark Lord - V3.5 Download:
https://www.nexusmods.com/grimrock/mods ... escription

edensgreen1
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:24 am

Re: [MOD] The Return of the Dark Lord

Post by edensgreen1 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:13 am

Did I grab the torch instead of the ghost train key? not sure, it was moving so fast I think I got plain air most of the time. took prob. 5-6 attempts. So at the finale I went back and trapped dark lord in the cage, and finished the game properly. Thoroughly enjoyed it, tho some of the puzzles/levels tested my patience immeasurably. I wld have liked more hints for bag of rocks, I nearly had to quit there but found yr solve here. Also the pressure plate there didn't make a sound when stepped on I don't think, I didn't know there was even a plate there. Same with the dark lord near the end. But I hope you will make another mod. I wld be very happy to Beta test. Tks HT.

edensgreen1
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:24 am

Re: [MOD] The Return of the Dark Lord

Post by edensgreen1 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:18 am

OH BTW what were the notes EESS etc for. I never really used them?

User avatar
HypnoToad
Posts: 70
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:19 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: [MOD] The Return of the Dark Lord

Post by HypnoToad » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:27 am

Glad you liked it, as a matter of fact I am making another mod as we speak, have done the first few levels already, will let you know when I do a bit more if you want to test it out and give me some guidance, it's hard for me as I know what solves a puzzle.

The notes for EESS etc were for the opening and closing doors puzzle and the fireworks level.
Return of the Dark Lord - V3.5 Download:
https://www.nexusmods.com/grimrock/mods ... escription

edensgreen1
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:24 am

Re: [MOD] The Return of the Dark Lord

Post by edensgreen1 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:43 am

lol I never used those 2 notes, just fumbled thru as usual. Yep wld love to beta test for you.

User avatar
severgates
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:53 pm
Location: Capital of Poland

Re: [MOD] The Return of the Dark Lord

Post by severgates » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:14 pm

Hi HypnoToad.

I've started to play your mod with the 3rd lvl party:

- Lizardman Fighter (Maces)
- Minotaur Fighter (Fist Fighting)
- Human Rogue (Assassination + Daggers)
- Insectoid Mage (Fire + Ice)

First impression.

- Played only lvl 2 (not finished it yet, because I'm stuck :( )
- Why focusing on swords and axes? My fighters suffer for lack of proper weapons (mace available at the start is weaker, than both swords and double-edged axe). And not speaking about my fist fighting minotaur, who fights with bare hands...
- Lvl 2 looks pretty linear (in a east-middle sections I've missed one of the keys and haven't been able to go back).
- I'm stuck at the end of lvl 2 (beaten little dragon and faced a door, requiring some golden key). Probably because I cannot solve riddle "don't be lazy/corridor of confusion" combo. Is it possible to open doors to teleport behind a crate near "don't be lazy? How to go back to earlier section of lvl2 (I'm teleported to lvl1).

Summary:

- I've played only a small part, but it looks good. Monsters are not overpowered, map looks well designed, riddles are not very tough (I'm not a native English speker, so it's important for me).
- Please make some changes in weapons availability and it will be really good.

Post Reply