[MOD] The Return of the Dark Lord

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
User avatar
HypnoToad
Posts: 70
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:19 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: [MOD] The Return of the Dark Lord

Post by HypnoToad » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:04 pm

severgates wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:14 pm
Hi HypnoToad.

I've started to play your mod with the 3rd lvl party:

- Lizardman Fighter (Maces)
- Minotaur Fighter (Fist Fighting)
- Human Rogue (Assassination + Daggers)
- Insectoid Mage (Fire + Ice)

First impression.

- Played only lvl 2 (not finished it yet, because I'm stuck :( )
- Why focusing on swords and axes? My fighters suffer for lack of proper weapons (mace available at the start is weaker, than both swords and double-edged axe). And not speaking about my fist fighting minotaur, who fights with bare hands...
- Lvl 2 looks pretty linear (in a east-middle sections I've missed one of the keys and haven't been able to go back).
- I'm stuck at the end of lvl 2 (beaten little dragon and faced a door, requiring some golden key). Probably because I cannot solve riddle "don't be lazy/corridor of confusion" combo. Is it possible to open doors to teleport behind a crate near "don't be lazy? How to go back to earlier section of lvl2 (I'm teleported to lvl1).

Summary:

- I've played only a small part, but it looks good. Monsters are not overpowered, map looks well designed, riddles are not very tough (I'm not a native English speker, so it's important for me).
- Please make some changes in weapons availability and it will be really good.
Thanks for the advice and encouragement, I didn't have any beta testers and I like swords and axes, so went with those. The game is based on the original Dungeon Master and doesn't have many weapons found in Grimrock. If you really want some maces see below.

Your not stuck, the key is nearby.
SpoilerShow
Just before the door that needs the gold key, there is a water fountain, click on it. To get better maces, if you can use the console put in spawn("dm_maceorder") and an even more powerful one spawn("warhammer")
To enable the console, go to My Documents\Almost Human\Legend Of Grimrock. Open the grimrock.CFG. file and look for the line that says "console = false". Change "false" to "true". The next line should read "consolekey = 200". Change the number to "192". Then save the changes. When you start the game, the tilde key (`) will bring up the console. It will be small and at the top left of the screen.
Return of the Dark Lord - V3.5 Download:
https://www.nexusmods.com/grimrock/mods ... escription

User avatar
severgates
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:53 pm
Location: Capital of Poland

Re: [MOD] The Return of the Dark Lord

Post by severgates » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:45 am

Hi HypnoToad.

Thanks, I know how to use console, but I won't create warhammer or stronger blunt weapon, considering this as a cheat.
Progressed to lvl 3 (thanks for the tip about fountain, forgot about this possibility), passed mummy trap, but fighting with fire dragon with only one learned non-fire school spell (Shock) and with weak weapons (no daggers till now! no gloves for pit fighter) I won't waste a time with swinging around this bastard for half an hour, just to be hit with one, accidental fire blast and die instantly.

Apologies, but your mod is badly balanced regarding weapon availability (maybe some information in mod description, that fighters should be specialized in swords and axes?), you should also inform players, that LVL1 party will have hard times (putting fire dragon for obligatory fight, while my party was on LVL6 is not a good idea - I've exported LVL3 party from another mod...). So I've abandoned it, but will gladly play it for another time after making some fixes.

Regards

User avatar
HypnoToad
Posts: 70
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:19 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: [MOD] The Return of the Dark Lord

Post by HypnoToad » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:20 am

severgates wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:45 am
Hi HypnoToad.

Thanks, I know how to use console, but I won't create warhammer or stronger blunt weapon, considering this as a cheat.
Progressed to lvl 3 (thanks for the tip about fountain, forgot about this possibility), passed mummy trap, but fighting with fire dragon with only one learned non-fire school spell (Shock) and with weak weapons (no daggers till now! no gloves for pit fighter) I won't waste a time with swinging around this bastard for half an hour, just to be hit with one, accidental fire blast and die instantly.

Apologies, but your mod is badly balanced regarding weapon availability (maybe some information in mod description, that fighters should be specialized in swords and axes?), you should also inform players, that LVL1 party will have hard times (putting fire dragon for obligatory fight, while my party was on LVL6 is not a good idea - I've exported LVL3 party from another mod...). So I've abandoned it, but will gladly play it for another time after making some fixes.

Regards
Sorry about your troubles, but like I said earlier it's a Dungeon Master type dungeon which is the first thing stated on Nexus.

I have put this line on the description page on Nexus: PLEASE NOTE: Fighters should favor swords and axes like in the original game.

Did you find the lightning bolt spell, the bolt blade which gives off lightning bolts, the eye of time which freezes monsters including the dragon five times and two blue magic boxes which also freeze him? Also this dragon has around half the health of a normal dragon. You meet a really tough dragon much later in the game, when you have skilled and weaponed up.

Hope this helps.
Return of the Dark Lord - V3.5 Download:
https://www.nexusmods.com/grimrock/mods ... escription

wagtunes
Posts: 154
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:04 pm

Re: [MOD] The Return of the Dark Lord

Post by wagtunes » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:11 am

The button that turns off the teleporter on level 1 doesn't work.

Not wasting anymore time on this one.

Should have heeded the warning of one of the early posters but, oh well, you live and learn.

User avatar
HypnoToad
Posts: 70
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:19 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: [MOD] The Return of the Dark Lord

Post by HypnoToad » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:03 am

wagtunes wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:11 am
The button that turns off the teleporter on level 1 doesn't work.

Not wasting anymore time on this one.

Should have heeded the warning of one of the early posters but, oh well, you live and learn.
SpoilerShow
It's not connected to the teleporter now, that was in the "beta" configuration. It's connected to a secret wall that opens and lets you through in the previous passageway.
Hope this helps.

Psst don't believe everything written on here. ;)
Return of the Dark Lord - V3.5 Download:
https://www.nexusmods.com/grimrock/mods ... escription

edensgreen1
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:24 am

Re: [MOD] The Return of the Dark Lord

Post by edensgreen1 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:35 am

well I really liked it anyway HT here is my email if u want me to beta test your next one: edensgreen@antmail.com.au
How is it going BTW?

User avatar
Torst
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:41 pm
Location: Germany

Re: [MOD] The Return of the Dark Lord

Post by Torst » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:42 am

I like the mod also but stuck at Lvl. 4
SpoilerShow
In the room "target shooting" i was able to open the wall to the second room. But now i got no clue to step forward

User avatar
HypnoToad
Posts: 70
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:19 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: [MOD] The Return of the Dark Lord

Post by HypnoToad » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:36 pm

Torst wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:42 am
I like the mod also but stuck at Lvl. 4
SpoilerShow
In the room "target shooting" i was able to open the wall to the second room. But now i got no clue to step forward
Target shooting is the name of the game.
SpoilerShow
You will see a Daemon Head on the wall in each of the rooms, try target shooting a spell at them. The first one with the Ghosts in it you used a Weaken Nonmaterial Beings spell. A different spell is needed for each room.
Return of the Dark Lord - V3.5 Download:
https://www.nexusmods.com/grimrock/mods ... escription

User avatar
Torst
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:41 pm
Location: Germany

Re: [MOD] The Return of the Dark Lord

Post by Torst » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:42 am

Yes, that help me out.Thx !

Post Reply