[MOD] Bloodwych remake - The Rise of Zendik

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
wagtunes

Re: [MOD] Bloodwych remake - The Rise of Zendik

Post by wagtunes »

Okay, maybe you can help me. As I mentioned, I have one Serpent Key. I'm currently on the level with the writing on the wall that says Serpent Tower. However, it's on a level called The Keep. If I walk down the hall, it teleports me to the Serpent Tower Level 1. Now, if I walk down that short hall, there is a pillar that is apparently blocking two stairways, one on the left and on on the right. In that area, there are two buttons. I'm color blind but one looks blue and the other looks green. My thinking is that by pressing a combination of those buttons, the pillar to those staircases disappears. I have tried several combinations but have had no luck. For all I know, those buttons have nothing to do with that pillar. But something in this game has to remove it, otherwise those two stairs are inaccessible.

That's where I am. I think if I can find the door that the Serpent Key I have goes to, I can maybe make some progress. I"m going to stay on the Serpent Tower level 1 and play around with those two buttons, one of which is actually on the Keep level.

I am NOT giving up. lol
wagtunes

Post by wagtunes »

Hi Simon (I'm assuming that's you since finding your videos on YouTube)

I moved on to LoG 2 (after moving onto the ORRR2 from LoG 1) and finished both of those and am now coming back to this, 20 hours into game play.

I am admitting defeat. So I'm coming to you to get me through the rest of this. I've reached the point where I'm just walking around an empty dungeon. I am currently standing in front of the door that's next to the sign that reads "The Tower Of The Dragon" It's Level 2 The Keep Level 5. Where is the key for that door? Hopefully, it's an area of the map I can get to but I'm thinking, at this point, not.

Additional areas I can't reach or haven't mapped yet.

1. Level 3 The Keep Level 4, the whole bottom left hand corner. I'm assuming there is either a secret door or that area can only be reached from an area above that I haven't been able to access yet.

2. The Serpent Tower Level 6. I only have one small piece in the middle mapped.

3. Level 6 The Keep Level 1. Only the very top line is mapped.

4. Level 4 The Keep Level 3. Not really sure, but it's possible that the very far left of the map from the middle up isn't mapped because there is a section at the bottom that has blank area above it. But it may very well be that's the way the level is.

5. Two sections between level 9 and level 6 that have nothing but ??? at the top. Not sure what that means.

Otherwise, I have been to every part of the map. I've clicked on everything I can think of. I've even slashed away at every tapestry on the walls that I've found. I honestly don't know what else to do. Obviously, I'm missing something but have no idea what.

I'm thinking that Level 3 The Keep Level 4, where you have the 3 stairways, is key to getting to where I need to be but am not sure. I've even made it up to the level with the 4 tables where you need to place the golden figures but have no idea where they can possibly be as I haven't found one yet.

I've tried to find videos (outside of yours) that walk through the dungeon but there's nothing. So I'm really on my own.

This is my last stab at this. If you can help me, great. If not, I'm really going to have to move on. I am that stumped.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
wagtunes

Post by wagtunes »

Hi Simon:

I was going to post about where I was now but noticed that I already posted about the blue and green buttons. I'm going to assume that you're not around anymore because it's been almost 2 months and haven't seen a reply.

If there is anybody around who has played this mod and can give me a hand, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.
wagtunes

Post by wagtunes »

This will probably be my last post on this mod.

I actually started the game over and pulled up all the maps at alanchapman.org. I started the game over with my current party at level 11 so I wouldn't have to worry about combat. That way, I could quickly get to where I left off.

I discovered why I am stuck. There is a bug. If you look at Main Tower 3, top right hand corner near where the stairs are that are marked "U", you will notice on the matter, just to the left of those stairs and one block up, there is a white space and a key. If you move your party to that area, there is no white space there. It is a wall. And looking at the map, there is nothing on it that removes that wall. So that key, for all intents and purposes, doesn't exist. There is no way to get it. Now, I don't know what it opens but it's obviously one of the doors that I am currently unable to open.

I can't even begin to tell you how frustrating this has been. On my 2nd playthrough, I made sure I checked with the map and got every item and every key. This key there is simply no way to get.

So this is really it. No point going any farther. I realize that I'm talking to air anyway as it's been over 2 months since you've been here, but hopefully, somebody else will see this and, if nothing else, avoid the frustrations that I've encountered.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

wagtunes wrote:So this is really it. No point going any farther. I realize that I'm talking to air anyway as it's been over 2 months since you've been here, but hopefully, somebody else will see this and, if nothing else, avoid the frustrations that I've encountered.
At last resort, is is certainly possible to use the game console to teleport to inaccessible areas, or even spawn missing items, keys, and the like.
wagtunes

Post by wagtunes »

Isaac wrote:
wagtunes wrote:So this is really it. No point going any farther. I realize that I'm talking to air anyway as it's been over 2 months since you've been here, but hopefully, somebody else will see this and, if nothing else, avoid the frustrations that I've encountered.
At last resort, is is certainly possible to use the game console to teleport to inaccessible areas, or even spawn missing items, keys, and the like.
I actually tried doing that but I don't know what he named the items and areas. I tried a few names but kept getting errors. Is there a way to print out the the items that are in the game?
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Paste this into the console:
(LoG1 only)

Code: Select all

function  findObjects(objName) 
	if type(objName) == "string" then 
		local perLineMax = 3
		local line = "" 
		local term = string.char(13) 
		local entityCount = 0 
		for obj in allEntities(party.level) do  
			if  obj.name:match(objName) == objName then 
				entityCount = entityCount + 1 
				line = line.."type:"..obj.name.." id:"..obj.id.."  X/Y:"..tostring(obj.x)..","..tostring(obj.y).."  "..string.char(124).."  "  
			end 
			if obj.class == "Item" then 
				for item in obj:containedItems() do 
					if item.name:match(objName) == objName then 
						line = line.."Inside "..obj.name..", "..obj.id.." id:"..item.id.." type:"..item.name.." X/Y:"..tostring(obj.x)..","..tostring(obj.y).."  "..string.char(124).."  " 
					end 
				end 
			end 
			if  entityCount >= perLineMax then 
				entityCount = 0 
				line = line..term 
			end 
			if line:match(term) then print(line) line = "" end 
		end  
	end  
end  

findObjects("key") 
Afterwards, you should be able to call the findObjects() function for any item (name) that you wish —that is on the current level map.

EG. findObjects("rock") findObjects("dagger") findObjects("key")
wagtunes

Post by wagtunes »

Isaac wrote:Paste this into the console:
(LoG1 only)

function  findObjects(objName) 
	if type(objName) == "string" then 
		local perLineMax = 3
		local line = "" 
		local term = string.char(13) 
		local entityCount = 0 
		for obj in allEntities(party.level) do  
			if  obj.name:match(objName) == objName then 
				line = line.."type:"..obj.name.." id:"..obj.id.."  X/Y:"..tostring(obj.x)..","..tostring(obj.y).."  "..string.char(124).."  "  
			end 
			if obj.class == "Item" then 
				for item in obj:containedItems() do 
					if item.name:match(objName) == objName then 
						line = line.."Inside "..obj.name..", "..obj.id.." id:"..item.id.." type:"..item.name.." X/Y:"..tostring(obj.x)..","..tostring(obj.y).."  "..string.char(124).."  " 
					end 
				end 
			end 
			if  entityCount >= perLineMax then 
				entityCount = 0 
				line = line..term 
			end 
			if line:match(term) then print(line) line = "" end 
		end  
	end  
end  

findObjects("key") 
Afterwards, you should be able to call the findObjects() function for any item (name) that you wish —that is on the current level map.

EG. findObjects("rock") findObjects("dagger") findObjects("key")
Okay, but what if the key I need for a particular door is on a level that I haven't been able to reach yet? It won't show up in the list, will it.
wagtunes

Post by wagtunes »

Well, I gave it a shot. Every findobjects command that I type comes up nil. So obviously that's not working. And yes, I am on LoG1.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

wagtunes wrote:Well, I gave it a shot. Every findobjects command that I type comes up nil. So obviously that's not working. And yes, I am on LoG1.
Console is finicky to get it to work on one line. You have to ensure (when you copy & paste) that every command has a space behind it.

The script as posted initially runs itself with the parameter 'key'; looking for any keys on the current level. It won't find any if there aren't any to find; but the function gets put in place. What happens if you (then) type findObjects('rock'), or findObjects('torch') ?

When I type it, it lists the torches on my test level.

__

Unfortunately, Grimrock 1 does not provide a means to query the key needed to open a lock... but it does allow one to choose a new key.
(This might or might not cause problems in the map.)

If needs be... You can use this script to change the lock to open with a rock (or whatever item you wish).
To use: Face the lock. Paste the script into the console, press Enter.

function changeKey(key, x, y) 
	local dX, dY = getForward(party.facing) 
	x, y = (x or party.x),(y or party.y) 
	key = key or 'rock' 
		for lock in entitiesAt(party.level,x,y) do 
		if lock.class == 'Lock' then 
			lock:setOpenedBy(key) 
			print('Lock: '..lock.id.." now opens with a "..key..'!')
		end 
	end 
end 

changeKey() 
You can call this function again, by typing changeKey() into the console. Optionally you can include the item name for a desired key, as the first argument; optional second & third arguments are the X & Y location of the lock... for when you cannot position the party in front of the lock.
Last edited by Isaac on Thu May 03, 2018 8:49 pm, edited 6 times in total.