[MOD] Bloodwych remake - The Rise of Zendik

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
wagtunes

Re: [MOD] Bloodwych remake - The Rise of Zendik

Post by wagtunes »

I'm kind of late to this party (only got LoG 1 a few months ago) and just starting to play some of the custom dungeons.

I tip my hat to you sir. A work of art this thing is.

Unfortunately, I am stuck at the Key of Hue. I have no idea where it is or how to get to it. The map of that level is 3/4 complete (top and bottom right) except for that one section on the left blocked off by those infuriating pillars (not sure if there is a way around them). I suspect if I could get to that one square I'd be okay. But that's only a guess.

I've found the two stairways from level 3 (4) and have covered everything I could on the level below.

I'm at that point where I'm about ready to give up.

Any clues? Is there a clue book? If you could throw me a small bone (even a riddle would do) it might help.

I'm going to give it one more shot tomorrow but after that I'm throwing in the towel.
fazzasx

Post by fazzasx »

wagtunes wrote:I'm kind of late to this party (only got LoG 1 a few months ago) and just starting to play some of the custom dungeons.

Unfortunately, I am stuck at the Key of Hue. I have no idea where it is or how to get to it. The map of that level is 3/4 complete (top and bottom right) except for that one section on the left blocked off by those infuriating pillars (not sure if there is a way around them). I suspect if I could get to that one square I'd be okay. But that's only a guess.

I've found the two stairways from level 3 (4) and have covered everything I could on the level below.

Any clues? Is there a clue book? If you could throw me a small bone (even a riddle would do) it might help.

I'm going to give it one more shot tomorrow but after that I'm throwing in the towel.
Hi Wagtunes,

Thanks for playing my MOD, please open spoiler below to see..
SpoilerShow
The Key of Hue is on Level 2 (The Maze Part) and it is a skull key, it is located to the top right of the map and it is inside a skull cavern. I have posted a link to a map below that shows this (look for the white key on the map, top right). You need to enter the cavern with a dragon key, then the skull cavern with a Moon Key to get the skull key. You will then be able to progress through those doors :)
http://www.alanchapman.org/bloodwych/maps/main_2.png
I would agree with you that this part is quite hard, and, back in the 1990's when I used to play it (I am showing my age lol), I must have spent several hours with my uncle trying to figure it out.

Good luck and let me know how you get on and if you need any further help!

Simon
Zastaph
wagtunes

Post by wagtunes »

fazzasx wrote:
wagtunes wrote:I'm kind of late to this party (only got LoG 1 a few months ago) and just starting to play some of the custom dungeons.

Hi Wagtunes,

SpoilerShow
The Key of Hue is on Level 2 (The Maze Part) and it is a skull key, it is located to the top right of the map and it is inside a skull cavern. I have posted a link to a map below that shows this (look for the white key on the map, top right). You need to enter the cavern with a dragon key, then the skull cavern with a Moon Key to get the skull key. You will then be able to progress through those doors :)
I would agree with you that this part is quite hard, and, back in the 1990's when I used to play it (I am showing my age lol), I must have spent several hours with my uncle trying to figure it out.

Simon
Simon, Eye of the Beholder on 3.5 inch floppy was the first game of this type that I ever played and what got me hooked on these. So we're both showing our age lol.

As for level 2, if it's level 2 (level 5 in game, really confusing) I've only been able to hit the stairs and one other location that i fell to from that room above with the one square hollowed out. But that's as far as I've been able to get on that level.

Yes, this is tough. I did make some progress today however as I stumbled onto one very small section of two or three squares where something I stepped on triggered two ogres that I had to defeat. I was hoping the door that I was about to enter would contain that key, but no luck.

I'm going to comb the map one more time. The problem is navigating around. There is really no direct path to anywhere because of all the pillars in the way. So I have to constantly look at the map just to see where I am and where I'm going.

In addition to that, I have tried everything. I've looked for hidden small buttons on the walls. Removed torches from holders thinking maybe that would trigger something and even putting torches into empty holders. I've stood on squares staring at Gargoyle heads thinking maybe something's on a timer. I've even tried clicking on things that have no apparent trigger of any kind, going as far as trying to actually break the pillars with a battle axe. Fortunately, I've been playing these games for so long that I know most of the tricks. But this one has me truly stumped.

As frustrating as it is, there is nothing like these games and your rendition is a winner.

I'll be back only if I really exhaust every possibility.

Thanks again for this amazing thrill ride.
fazzasx

Post by fazzasx »

wagtunes wrote:
fazzasx wrote:

Hi Wagtunes,

SpoilerShow

Simon
Simon, Eye of the Beholder on 3.5 inch floppy was the first game of this type that I ever played and what got me hooked on these. So we're both showing our age lol.

As for level 2, if it's level 2 (level 5 in game, really confusing) I've only been able to hit the stairs and one other location that i fell to from that room above with the one square hollowed out. But that's as far as I've been able to get on that level.

Yes, this is tough. I did make some progress today however as I stumbled onto one very small section of two or three squares where something I stepped on triggered two ogres that I had to defeat. I was hoping the door that I was about to enter would contain that key, but no luck.

I'm going to comb the map one more time. The problem is navigating around. There is really no direct path to anywhere because of all the pillars in the way. So I have to constantly look at the map just to see where I am and where I'm going.

In addition to that, I have tried everything. I've looked for hidden small buttons on the walls. Removed torches from holders thinking maybe that would trigger something and even putting torches into empty holders. I've stood on squares staring at Gargoyle heads thinking maybe something's on a timer. I've even tried clicking on things that have no apparent trigger of any kind, going as far as trying to actually break the pillars with a battle axe. Fortunately, I've been playing these games for so long that I know most of the tricks. But this one has me truly stumped.

As frustrating as it is, there is nothing like these games and your rendition is a winner.

I'll be back only if I really exhaust every possibility.

Thanks again for this amazing thrill ride.
Thanks Wagtunes,

The levels, I had to number them (on the right hand side) because they didnt match BloodWych levels and I cant remove the inbuilt ones that number the levels. Now I believe that in Grimrock 2 the level number is agnostic meaning there is no set level structure. This will make it much easier.

Let me know how you get along, I forgot to answer about the maze part.

Essentially both ways into the maze will lead to somewhere you need to go. If we imagine that we are at the bottom of the stairs on L2 and the sign in front says (My Key I bestow to those that solve this maze) to your right, that door will take you through the maze and lead you to a room. You will need that as there is a pillar removed there later in the game. Remember that in the maze there are spinner plates. Try to put something on the floor to help you know when you have spun and by how much so that you can correct it and move through it. Its not easy and it took me ages back in the day with this.

The door to your left, will again lead to the maze, but this time there are a few more rooms, with keys, and a button. This removes a pillar, and allows you to go down to level 1 and then up to level 2 where you will then get to the cavern and crypt parts.

EOB1, I played it also on my Amiga 500, loved it but only got as far as the spider part and got scared and stopped playing lol. I truly hate spiders so I just had to stop. Silly I know but they scared me because of their speed. I put a spider challenge in this MOD as a reminder of that, see if you can find it :)

Good luck, let me know how you get along. Note that there are no eye socket puzzles, or torch switches to this mod. It wasnt in BloodWych so I never added it here, but I might do that to make it more interesting if you think its worth it.

Let me know and all the best

Simon
Zastaph
wagtunes

Post by wagtunes »

Simon, I really appreciate your continued dialogue on this. I am finding the maze to be fascinating.

I'd like to be able to show you where I currently am in the maze but my screen capture, for whatever reason, when trying to take a capture of the map, comes up as just black. But I am in the top right hand corner just outside of the stairs that go to level 1 where the big bolder smashes you flat. I have tried everything to get past that bolder including just standing there, rotating, moving 2, 3 spaces and rotating. Nothing works.

However, in the alcove outside those stairs, I found and ax and I think a brass key. I haven't found the door that this brass key goes to yet. Also, I'm having a devil of a time accessing the top left of the maze. I've been everywhere else.

As for the spinners, I've figured them out. I usually walk backwards and then I'm actually turned to the direction I want to go.

Bottom Line: I've made progress. I'll touch base with you again in a few days or so to let you know where I am.
fazzasx

Post by fazzasx »

wagtunes wrote:Simon, I really appreciate your continued dialogue on this. I am finding the maze to be fascinating.

I'd like to be able to show you where I currently am in the maze but my screen capture, for whatever reason, when trying to take a capture of the map, comes up as just black. But I am in the top right hand corner just outside of the stairs that go to level 1 where the big bolder smashes you flat. I have tried everything to get past that bolder including just standing there, rotating, moving 2, 3 spaces and rotating. Nothing works.

However, in the alcove outside those stairs, I found and ax and I think a brass key. I haven't found the door that this brass key goes to yet. Also, I'm having a devil of a time accessing the top left of the maze. I've been everywhere else.

As for the spinners, I've figured them out. I usually walk backwards and then I'm actually turned to the direction I want to go.

Bottom Line: I've made progress. I'll touch base with you again in a few days or so to let you know where I am.
Hi Wagtunes,

Great to hear your progressing :)

I know where you are and I also know how you progress, if you want to know open the spoiler below
SpoilerShow
You cant get past the boulder on L1, there is a secret button in the wall that opens a wall, this allows you to get out of the way of the boulder before it hits you. Also note that there is a spinner plate down there.

Note that you cant stop the boulder, and you cant destroy it. You just have to get out of the way of it into the secret room. Once it passes you can progress.
Good luck let me know how you get on
Zastaph
wagtunes

Post by wagtunes »

fazzasx wrote:
wagtunes wrote:Simon, I really appreciate your continued dialogue on this. I am finding the maze to be fascinating.

Hi Wagtunes,

Great to hear your progressing :)

I know where you are and I also know how you progress, if you want to know open the spoiler below
SpoilerShow
You cant get past the boulder on L1, there is a secret button in the wall that opens a wall, this allows you to get out of the way of the boulder before it hits you. Also note that there is a spinner plate down there.

Note that you cant stop the boulder, and you cant destroy it. You just have to get out of the way of it into the secret room. Once it passes you can progress.
Good luck let me know how you get on
Man, I looked for buttons. Heck, that's how I walk down these hallways to begin with, which is why it takes me so long to get through these games. Every step, if there is a wall to my left or right, I check it for buttons. In fact, you should see the dungeon I created. It's a button presser's nightmare. But I'll get to that later because when it's done I'd really like you to test it out. I'm working on the intro and ending musical scores (I'm a composer) and want them to be just right.

Anyway, let me get back to this joy ride.

More later.
wagtunes

Post by wagtunes »

Well, sadly, I have met my match.

This is what I've done.

First, I moved to the square just before moving again sets off the bolder and saved.

I then tried the following keyboard key strokes as using the XBox controller is just too slow for something that requires this kind of speed.

First, W E to see if the button was on the wall to the right. Even if it were, stopping on that square, there is literally no time to push a button even if one existed. I tried the same thing W Q for the left wall. Again, not time to push anything. In either case, there is no button on either wall on that square.

So then I tried W S E and W S Q to see if the button was 2 squares back. And that's when I realized, if it were, I would have seen the buttons before even triggering the bolder unless there is a script that makes the button appear AFTER the bolder is triggered. So I attempted W S E and W S Q but found no button.

I then tried W S S E and W S S Q to see if the button was 2 squares back and then W S S S E and W S S S Q to see if the button was 3 squares back. Again, nothing. Either they're not there or these buttons are so hidden that they're virtually impossible to see.

In any case, I've done all I can do. I assume that in order to get the key that I need to open the door two levels up, I need to get past this bolder. If so, I'm truly stuck. I don't have either the eyesight or reflexes to solve this puzzle.

But I had fun while it lasted. You did a great job. I'm just too old for the speedy stuff lol.

Thanks again for all your help.
wagtunes

Post by wagtunes »

Just a quick update. I decided to give it one more shot and found the button. Am now up to the next level with the menagerie.

The joy ride continues. lol
wagtunes

Post by wagtunes »

Okay, so like here's where I am now. lol

Nowhere and everywhere.

I've go this Tower of the Dragon wall writing and a door not far from it but no key for the door. I've got a Serpent Key (not sure how many this makes) but can't find the door that it goes to. I put the 2 gems in the holes and have discovered that if you take them out and put them in again, you get transported to other places.

I've cleared out enough doors and pilars that I can now pretty much go from the very bottom to the very top where you reach the hallway where you place the 4 golden idols (if I ever find them)

The problem is, because I've cleared so much ground and can go just about anywhere, I have no idea where to go next. Normally, stuff you find isn't far from the thing you need to stick it in, like keys. But this serpent key has me stumped and have no idea where the key is to open the dragon tower door. I have gone as far as actually making my way back to almost the beginning.

In short, right now, I'm looking for a needle in a haystack.

There is still the one level where the bottom left hand corner hasn't been mapped at all. I have no idea how to get to it, assuming there's something even there. There's also one pilar on this one level that looks like it's blocking a key part of the map. None of the buttons so far seem to remove it. Maybe it's not important. Not sure. But there's no other way to get to that part of the map.

I did notice that one section of the one map teleports you to opposite ends when you step on the pressure plate in front of that blue like door that's not a door. At least I don't think it's a door.

Like I said, needle in a haystack. I don't even know which section of which map I need to go to in order to advance to the next part. So mathematically, given all the options I have now, I could be roaming these halls for weeks if not months.

And obviously there is no way you can even help me having gotten this far because you don't know just what I've uncovered and not uncovered to this point.

You have truly made a masterpiece.

While I'm not giving up, I've limited my play time now to lunch time and maybe an hour before bed. I don't see much point spending hours running around in what seems like circles now.

Anyway, that's where I am. I'll touch base with you again on 3/8 and let you know if I've made any progress. But right now, I'm pretty stuck given I haven't seen a creature in ages. All my guys are starving but it doesn't matter because they're not casting spells or doing anything but walking around. So they're not losing any points anywhere. And then, with all the health restoration rooms, it doesn't matter anyway. My armor class is pretty much maxed out. I've gotten heavy armor on both my fighters and my mages are almost maxed. Right now I'd say I'm probably very close to the end game but can't really be sure because I don't know how much is really left.

See you next Thursday.