MASTER QUEST HELP: puzzles, clues, SECRETS, WALKTHROUGH

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
wagtunes
Posts: 316
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:04 pm

Re: MASTER QUEST HELP: puzzles, clues, SECRETS, WALKTHROUGH

Post by wagtunes » Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:32 pm

Dr.Disaster wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:52 am
wagtunes wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:28 am
Okay, if you're referring to the 2 plates on the other side of the wall, you can't get to them because there is a locked door blocking them. The door only opens from the side I'm trying to get through that I can't because the walls don't open in order to get to that door.

For what it's worth, the puzzle works perfectly in the original game so something is broken.
Sorry, but here you are wrong. There is nothing broken here. Both doors can be opened, you just need to look for the mechanisms.
No, you're the one who's wrong. I have watched every video of this I can find and have followed the steps EXACTLY and it DOESN'T WORK.

Anyway, I hacked the console, opened the walls and have gone past it. I can't be bothered with this nonsense anymore.

I will play the original game later on, do the same exact thing I did here and the walls will open perfectly. Of course that sill won't convince you that this version is broken.

wagtunes
Posts: 316
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:04 pm

Re: MASTER QUEST HELP: puzzles, clues, SECRETS, WALKTHROUGH

Post by wagtunes » Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:29 pm

Here are the exact steps, step by step, in the original version of Master Quest to get through this part of the dungeon. I have done it so many times I have it memorized.

Step 1 - Teleport from the room with the altar and 3 puzzles to open teleporter to get to this room.

Step 2 - Place a rock or some object on pressure plate that we land on in order to keep trap door in front of us closed.

Step 3 - Step on trap door and wait for trap door in front of us to close in order to step on it and place an object on the pressure plate to the right behind the gate to open that gate and then step back onto the closed trap door.

Step 4 - Wait for trap door in front to close again and quickly step onto it and then to the right in order to get into small room to the right.

Step 5 - Wait for trap door to left to close again and press button to your left in order to keep that trapped door closed.

Step 6 - Go one space and then turn left. In front of you is a lever and to the left of that lever is a wall button. Flip the lever and press the wall button which opens up a secret wall behind you and to the left 2 squares down.

Step 7 - Go past that secret wall after it opens and press the wall button on your left. That will then open a secret door to your left and one square behind you where there is another pressure plate.

Step 8 - Step onto that pressure plate. That will activate a teleport located in the area in Step 6.

Step 9 - Walk to that teleport and step into it. This will teleport you to the other side of the room where there is another lever.

Step 10 - Flip that lever. It will open up the door leading to the key in the alcove behind it.

Step 11 - Walk back to the middle of the room and turn left. You will see the open door and the key in the alcove.

Step 12 - Walk to the alcove and remove the key from the alcove. This should trigger the central alcove script and open up the walls to your left and right.

Now, since you're so sure I have missed something, why don't you tell me EXACTLY what it is I missed? You can't because I missed nothing. Something has broken this puzzle. Whether it's the earthquakes or whatever, I don't know. But this puzzle works perfectly using these EXACT SAME STEPS in the original game. It has NEVER worked for me in THIS VERSION.

I am done talking to you. Can somebody else familiar with the code of this mod please chime in and try to explain to me what's going on?

Thank you.

User avatar
Komag
Posts: 3641
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:55 pm
Location: Boston, USA

Re: MASTER QUEST HELP: puzzles, clues, SECRETS, WALKTHROUGH

Post by Komag » Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:10 am

There are two other spots that you must grab Items from. They are FAR away, nothing to do with this section. Where the Items are grabbed is technically nearby, but you only get to them from very far away. One of them is in the dino lair, from the north. One of them is past the pillared hallway with the snake riddle, from the south. In both cases, you find yourself near the center of the map. Also in both cases the doors just in front of the Items have hidden buttons you need to find to open them. When you get those other Items, and came way back to eventually get this key, you will have stood in all three places, thus triggering the walls to open up.
Finished Dungeons - complete mods to play

wagtunes
Posts: 316
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:04 pm

Re: MASTER QUEST HELP: puzzles, clues, SECRETS, WALKTHROUGH

Post by wagtunes » Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:38 am

Komag wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:10 am
There are two other spots that you must grab Items from. They are FAR away, nothing to do with this section. Where the Items are grabbed is technically nearby, but you only get to them from very far away. One of them is in the dino lair, from the north. One of them is past the pillared hallway with the snake riddle, from the south. In both cases, you find yourself near the center of the map. Also in both cases the doors just in front of the Items have hidden buttons you need to find to open them. When you get those other Items, and came way back to eventually get this key, you will have stood in all three places, thus triggering the walls to open up.
So then this section of the dungeon is different from the base game because none of that is required to make this puzzle work in the base game.

User avatar
Dr.Disaster
Posts: 2861
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:48 am

Re: MASTER QUEST HELP: puzzles, clues, SECRETS, WALKTHROUGH

Post by Dr.Disaster » Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:13 pm

wagtunes wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:38 am
Komag wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:10 am
There are two other spots that you must grab Items from. They are FAR away, nothing to do with this section. Where the Items are grabbed is technically nearby, but you only get to them from very far away. One of them is in the dino lair, from the north. One of them is past the pillared hallway with the snake riddle, from the south. In both cases, you find yourself near the center of the map. Also in both cases the doors just in front of the Items have hidden buttons you need to find to open them. When you get those other Items, and came way back to eventually get this key, you will have stood in all three places, thus triggering the walls to open up.
So then this section of the dungeon is different from the base game because none of that is required to make this puzzle work in the base game.
Actually this works exactly like the base game: grab all 3 items at all 3 places to continue. The only thing that's different in MQ is how to reach those spots.

wagtunes
Posts: 316
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:04 pm

Re: MASTER QUEST HELP: puzzles, clues, SECRETS, WALKTHROUGH

Post by wagtunes » Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:44 pm

Well, then they must be a lot more obvious and easier to find in the original game because whatever switches you flip, buttons you press or plates you walk on to get this puzzle to work, being that far removed from this room, there is no way that anybody could possibly know that they're connected to this puzzle. I most likely completed those actions and had no idea what they did and just assumed that when I reached this room and removed the key from that alcove, that's what triggered the walls.

I went through the code for the entire level. I found one of the areas. I can't for the life of me find the other one so it must be pretty well buried.

Personally, I think puzzles should be a a relatively self contained area. Puzzles this far spread out, IMO, are a bit unfair, especially when it's a major part of getting through the game. I can understand maybe for a side quest or finding a secret item. But to literally stop you dead in your tracks, well, I don't know . It's not something I would do when designing a dungeon. I'll leave it at that.

The next time I play this mod (I usually do once a year) I will make sure I go through the entire level and check every wall and every nook and cranny.

User avatar
Komag
Posts: 3641
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:55 pm
Location: Boston, USA

Re: MASTER QUEST HELP: puzzles, clues, SECRETS, WALKTHROUGH

Post by Komag » Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:44 am

I understand where you're coming from, and I happen to agree in general that it's good for puzzles to be in a small-ish area. All throughout Master Quest I had to make judgements what to keep, change, or get rid of from the original game, and in this case, I decided to change the three surrounding areas, but keep the general central core concept of having to get to each of three sides (North, South, and East) of the central core before it opens up to allow passage to the West side, pretty much just as it is in the original game.
Finished Dungeons - complete mods to play

wagtunes
Posts: 316
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:04 pm

Re: MASTER QUEST HELP: puzzles, clues, SECRETS, WALKTHROUGH

Post by wagtunes » Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:48 pm

Komag wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:44 am
I understand where you're coming from, and I happen to agree in general that it's good for puzzles to be in a small-ish area. All throughout Master Quest I had to make judgements what to keep, change, or get rid of from the original game, and in this case, I decided to change the three surrounding areas, but keep the general central core concept of having to get to each of three sides (North, South, and East) of the central core before it opens up to allow passage to the West side, pretty much just as it is in the original game.
Thanks for getting back to me. I decided to walk through this one more time (it's really an addicting mod) and when I got to level 9 I saved it in a special place in case I got lost and had to start over. I then pulled up the dungeon editor one more time and found one button that opens the door where the gold armor is. I had missed that one. Sure enough, once I toggled that door, and got back to the puzzle, everything worked as it should. It was one button I had missed. Looking at every wall (tedious as hell) did the trick.

Mystery solved. I'll never have problems with this mod again unless a year from now I forget all this. :lol:

Post Reply