Best party

This is the forum for helping you out if you're stuck or if you want to discuss the nitty gritty details of the dungeons within Mount Grimrock. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Halk

Re: Best party

Post by Halk »

mazuffer wrote: They were all level 13[/spoiler]
That's surprisingly low. The way the skills work I'd have thought it possible to max out a couple of trees. But it looks like you could max out one at a push. Level 13 means the initial skills plus 48. So a minotaur would have 49 in total if my maths is correct, a human would have 52, the rest 51.

It does leave room for an expansion using the same characters though!
Filipsan

Post by Filipsan »

Halk wrote:
mazuffer wrote: They were all level 13[/spoiler]
That's surprisingly low. The way the skills work I'd have thought it possible to max out a couple of trees. But it looks like you could max out one at a push. Level 13 means the initial skills plus 48. So a minotaur would have 49 in total if my maths is correct, a human would have 52, the rest 51.

It does leave room for an expansion using the same characters though!
SpoilerShow
13 levels = 13 floors of dungeon
But all of my characters ended up with lvl 13 :) I was not grinding though
Halk

Post by Halk »

The game doesn't allow for grinding - which is a extremely wise choice.
King Tulla

Post by King Tulla »

The Rogue Party!
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1309
xlaZuRelx

Post by xlaZuRelx »

On my second playthrough... Most Broken Party Ever...
SpoilerShow
Human Rogue: Missile(Only) - Aggressive/Skilled :- Using a Bow and Heavy Armor
Lizard Rogue: Missile(Only) - Skilled/Evasive :- Using Crossbow and Evasion items (Lurker)
Minotaur Rogue: Thrown(Only) - Aggressive/HeadHunter :- Anything that flies...
Insectiod Mage: Air/SpellCraft - Aura/Skilled :- Enchanting Bolts/Arrows, Lightning Bolts

I'm currently at Dungeon Level 8, this party is so broken I dont know where to start from. First 2 Levels are harder, until you get the sling, at level 3 the bow at the start and later on a crossbow at 4. Once you hit double shot on all character you basically can kill anything, for some reason due to the massive amounts of hits the enemy will be stunned and you can volley endless barrages of ammunition. An example will be the fire archons, where my arrows then bolts then shuriken with hit continuously and he couldn't break of stun thus no fireballs.

All you really need to do is kill and charge in for your ammunition, then strafe out to fire again...

I even completed Fighter's Challenge at Level 7 Character with only my mage dead...
Dominance

Post by Dominance »

tantalan wrote:Guys, can you post here, who reached lets say level 9, your party? Race, class and for each class which abilities you specialized in? I would like to now which party to choose in case i start the game again. I am in level 5 now and i have problems to survive and continue :-)
on the front row i have

1 warrior :
10- athletics
26- armors
4- maces

1 Warrior :
6- athletics
41- swords

on the back row i have
1 mage :
25 fire magic
3 ice magic
15 spellcraft

1 rogue
8 dodge
32 missile weapons
Komag

Post by Komag »

that sounds totally workable to me. I would probably give the other warrior 8 armor over the next couple levels so he can wear better armor
Finished Dungeons - complete mods to play
flatline

Post by flatline »

xlaZuRelx wrote:On my second playthrough... Most Broken Party Ever...
SpoilerShow
Human Rogue: Missile(Only) - Aggressive/Skilled :- Using a Bow and Heavy Armor
Lizard Rogue: Missile(Only) - Skilled/Evasive :- Using Crossbow and Evasion items (Lurker)
Minotaur Rogue: Thrown(Only) - Aggressive/HeadHunter :- Anything that flies...
Insectiod Mage: Air/SpellCraft - Aura/Skilled :- Enchanting Bolts/Arrows, Lightning Bolts

I'm currently at Dungeon Level 8, this party is so broken I dont know where to start from. First 2 Levels are harder, until you get the sling, at level 3 the bow at the start and later on a crossbow at 4. Once you hit double shot on all character you basically can kill anything, for some reason due to the massive amounts of hits the enemy will be stunned and you can volley endless barrages of ammunition. An example will be the fire archons, where my arrows then bolts then shuriken with hit continuously and he couldn't break of stun thus no fireballs.

All you really need to do is kill and charge in for your ammunition, then strafe out to fire again...

I even completed Fighter's Challenge at Level 7 Character with only my mage dead...
That is a good party. Might have skipped evasive for aggressive on 2nd Rogue, otherwise a clearly OP build.

My latest build:
1 human fighter, 16 in armor and the rest in unarmed. Max Dex, then rest in Strength. Skilled, fistfighter. Uses heavy armor.
1 human figher, all unarmed. Max Dex, then rest in Strength. Skilled, fistfighter. Uses evasion gear.
1 Troll Rogue, all throwing. Skilled, Headhunter. Max Strength, then Vitality. Uses heavy armor/anything that boosts DMG/STR.
1 Human Mage (for the extra skill point compared to insect), Ice Magic to 24 and rest in Spellcraft. Max wisdom, then vitality. Skilled, Wisdom+2
Hatti

Post by Hatti »

given that this game is essentially a dungeon master clone, i'm pretty disappointed in the lackluster magic system.
any, this is one of my party setup.

front rank;
lizard unarmed rogue
lizard unarmed rogue

back rank;
human assassin rogue
minotaur throwing rogue

my front rank tanks and dishes out high dps.
back rank is glass, but dishes out high dps.

playing style; pretty much don't let anything flank you or get behind you. back rank has low evasion and low protection. front rank has high evasion and low protection. getting hit hurts, but you don't get hit often and your enemies are dust before they can try. this party can go toe to toe with the 1st ogre you run into on level 6. during fighter challenge, both rear rank rogues died pretty early. front row unarmed masters finished them off using 1 healing potion each.
advantage is that you don't have to carry any heavy gear.

edit; if i could change one thing, i would swap out the assassin for another throwing master or maybe a missile master.
edit2; oh, it looks like king tulla already posted something like this!
Hedrosyrinx

Post by Hedrosyrinx »

OP REAPERS WITH ONE BUG

This is pretty old topic but anyway i would like to share my party setup as well for those who still playing this awesome game, or have some difuculties to setup a strong party. Im not saying that this is the top party ever but I felt that this party was VERY STRONG.

I completed the game at Old School & Hard difficulty with following party:

1. Minotaur Fighter 16 armor, rest maces
2. Minotaur Fighter 16 armor, rest axes
3. Minotaur Rogue 50 missile weapons, rest assasination for extra STR
4. Insect Mage 50 Air magic, rest spellcraft (get a bit of spellcraft on early levels - 5)

Yea, no place for humans, minotaur power !

Starting set:

1. Maxed VIT, rest STR - healthy, though
2. Maxed VIT, rest STR - aggresive, head hunter
3. Maxed STR, rest VIT - aggresive, athletic
4. Maxed WIL, rest VIT - strong mind. aura

I must say I had a little bit problem with accuracy of my front row from the start, specialy cuz i was focusing them or armor skill, but once those guys get some levels they were just superb.(keep in mind that every point in weapon skill will increase your accuracy)

If i will replay, which i probably will, (but this time nooooo old school moood :twisted: ) I would probably switched 2. char for lizardman rogue based on high evasion and dagger gore.