Help needed with party setup

This is the forum for helping you out if you're stuck or if you want to discuss the nitty gritty details of the dungeons within Mount Grimrock. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Mr.Grocki

Help needed with party setup

Post by Mr.Grocki »

I've just started playing LOG1 and would like to use a party setup that I found in another area of this forum. However, being a little dumb,
I couldn't make sense of what the OP said. I did ask for clarification but I guess he\she was too busy with the game to reply :-)
Here's what they said about their party:
------------------------------------------------------
1) Human Warrior, skilled in Maces and Armor (maybe 10 points in Athetics as well)
2) Lizard Rogue, skilled in Dodge and unarmed combat (maybe 8 points in Assassination as well)

Back row
3) Minotaur Rogue, skilled in missile weapons and dodge.
4) Insectoid Mage, skilled in Ice magic and Spellcraft (and another school of magic as well... I'm a bit undecided between fire and air).
------------------------------------------------------
My problem was that I couldn't find the references in the setup area. For example "Lizard Rogue, skilled in Dodge and unarmed combat (maybe 8 points in Assassination as well)"
I couldn't see 'Dodge' anywhere, nor 'Assassination'.

I'd much appreciate a hand with this if someone could spare the time.
Thanks for reading.
PSY

Re: Help needed with party setup

Post by PSY »

Mr.Grocki wrote: My problem was that I couldn't find the references in the setup area. For example "Lizard Rogue, skilled in Dodge and unarmed combat (maybe 8 points in Assassination as well)"
I couldn't see 'Dodge' anywhere, nor 'Assassination'.
You simply didn't click on 'ROGUE', did you ? :D

Cheers,
PSY
https://psy-labs.com
Coders don't die, they just gosub without return
Mr.Grocki

Post by Mr.Grocki »

PSY, thanks for replying.
No, I don't think I simply clicked on 'ROGUE' and left it at that.
But I've just now tried a new experimental party, and this time I can see Dodge, Unarmed Combat and Assassination etc. So that's cool.
But what about "(maybe 10 points in Athetics as well)" and "(maybe 8 points in Assassination as well)".
Seeing as how there's only a maximum of 4 skill points available at the start (I think?), are these additional points that the OP mentioned only gained from playing experience?
Sorry, these are probably dumb questions but I've never tried this type of game before.
Sir Tawmis

Post by Sir Tawmis »

There are no dumb questions! Seriously!

If I am understanding your question - you're asking are skill points available later to add to skills? If so, yes. As you level, you get skill points (1 per level). So when you hit Level 2, you will have 1 skill to spend wisely on whatever skill you want.

You will also fine Tomes of Wisdom, that when you right click with whatever character - grants that character 1 skill point to spend somewhere on their skills. So there's plenty of opportunity to raise your skills.
Define ... 'Lost.' Neverending Nights - The Neverwinter Machinima that WILL make you laugh!
Also read: Legend of Grimrock: Destiny's Chance here on the forum! Check out the site I made for Legend of Grimrock: Destiny's Chance.
Mr.Grocki

Post by Mr.Grocki »

Sir Tawmis, thanks for replying.

I think I've got enough info to get under way now.

Cheers :-)
Sir Tawmis

Post by Sir Tawmis »

Mr.Grocki wrote:Sir Tawmis, thanks for replying.

Awesome! Quest on, brother! And if you need help, feel free to ask!
Define ... 'Lost.' Neverending Nights - The Neverwinter Machinima that WILL make you laugh!
Also read: Legend of Grimrock: Destiny's Chance here on the forum! Check out the site I made for Legend of Grimrock: Destiny's Chance.
happyemi

Post by happyemi »

Mr.Grocki wrote:Sir Tawmis, thanks for replying.

I actually replied to you on the post you quoted, just 3 days later :P

Anyway FYI that's not the party I'm using right now. Looks like I overstimated the number of skill points you end up with by the end game. So basically I'm concentrating on just 1 skill and half per character (instead of 2 and half).

Also, I still have to start playing (I'm a bit busy with Wasteland 2 right now :D), and I'm still a bit undecided between maces and swords. Maces are for tankers and swords are for damage dealers. I'd like the front line to be pure tank, so my primary choice is still mace, but their accuracy penalty is a concern (I mean, they are still a weapon and I'd expect to hit something from time to time :D )
mr_raider

Post by mr_raider »

You can mitigate the accuracy penalty of maces. Select a high dex race like lizard. Put all your starting points in vitality and dex. And consider the agile trait.

One of the early maces on level 3 has no accuracy penalty.

If you go maces the goal should be to max it out at 50. The main attribute of maces is that raising the skill has many benefits. It improves your attack power, your accuracy, and your vitality. A mace user can even forego heavy armor.
atahuu

Post by atahuu »

But I've just now tried a new experimental party, and this time I can see Dodge, Unarmed Combat and Assassination etc. So that's cool.
But what about "(maybe 10 points in Athetics as well)" and "(maybe 8 points in Assassination as well)".
Seeing as how there's only a maximum of 4 skill points available at the start (I think?), are these additional points that the OP mentioned only gained from playing experience? .

GuL