Fighting Ogre face to face - in corridor, huh?

This is the forum for helping you out if you're stuck or if you want to discuss the nitty gritty details of the dungeons within Mount Grimrock. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
szmind

Fighting Ogre face to face - in corridor, huh?

Post by szmind »

Every single hint I've read about fighting ogre was: make him charge, step left or right, strike his back, be patient and so on. Not for my brave heart! And what if you meet him in a corridor, a long corridor (and this sometimes happens). I tell you what you do. You step only 4-5 steps back, wait until he roars and start charging. As soon as he starts charging at you, you do the same: charge him!!!! Yes, yes, no running! Ok, may be not charge :) just make a step FORWARD. Yes, no mistake, a brave step forward, while he's charging, and wait. He will stop just in front of you and even bow before you :) Then you should kick his bowed head! And make a few steps back. Repeat.
Dr.Disaster

Re: Fighting Ogre face to face - in corridor, huh?

Post by Dr.Disaster »

That's possible but requires precise timing. Might work a few times but until he's dead?

Now any corridor starts and thus did branch of somewhere. When facing a charging monster retreat to this branch and then lead him into a circle or other corridor.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

I do hope the AI in LoG2 is not 100% predictable its use of this [charging] behavior.
szmind

Post by szmind »

Dr.Disaster wrote:That's possible but requires precise timing. Might work a few times but until he's dead?

Now any corridor starts and thus did branch of somewhere. When facing a charging monster retreat to this branch and then lead him into a circle or other corridor.
If not until he's dead then at least until reaching the branch.
SpoilerShow
And in order to get to level 10 you need to face ogre or two in corridor with no branches and 10 steps away from the nearest turn - it WILL get you before you retreat
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

szmind wrote: If not until he's dead then at least until reaching the branch.
SpoilerShow
And in order to get to level 10 you need to face ogre or two in corridor with no branches and 10 steps away from the nearest turn - it WILL get you before you retreat
I thought you ment in general.
SpoilerShow
by that time in the original dungeon there are enough frost bombs around that it does not matter anymore
szmind

Post by szmind »

Well, in general I just use it once and then just fight face-to-face using proper timing. After each hit a monster (Ogre is no exception) shruggs off, so I let the full shrugging-animation take place before I hit with another character and so on. Usually, after 4th character hits, the 1st is already cooled down so I can repeat the cycle. Though if I see "missed" I quickly step back. I often have the bastard killed without being touched, though sometimes I get hit badly - but no risk, no fun :)
Neutronium Dragon

Post by Neutronium Dragon »

IIRC there's one long spiral hallway where you really don't have any side passages to make use of, although you can use the corners of the spiral in the same fashion.