Level 9, Walls won't open...

This is the forum for helping you out if you're stuck or if you want to discuss the nitty gritty details of the dungeons within Mount Grimrock. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Torham Zed

Level 9, Walls won't open...

Post by Torham Zed »

Hello forum... I made this account and posted this purely because of this problem. I would not have done this if I hadn't exhausted all other sources. I have read other posts about this puzzle, but I cannot get it to work.

I have taken the book from the shelf, I have taken the note and the rock out of the corner, I have taken the lurker hood from it's shelf.

Beyond this, I have made sure there are no items on the floor in the entire area.

The blasted walls are still down! It's 3 AM where I am right now... and I confess myself flustered...

The only things I can see that may be causing this are: I picked up the book first. In which case this file is for naught. OR, this save has been corrupted. That's what I thought in my first play-through. This is my second. It is unlikely that after re-installing the game and starting over I would have a corrupted save...

I will be checking this post a couple times a day. I pray someone will have some information for me. I would love to be proven stupid or unobservant. That would be far more preferable than an internal issue with the game.
Dr.Disaster

Re: Level 9, Walls won't open...

Post by Dr.Disaster »

All three reachable alcoves on the central pillar must be empty. If anything remains in them the walls won't open.
Torham Zed

Post by Torham Zed »

Central pillar? I'm not sure what you're referring to. I do have hope now that I was simply unobservant. That is a good thing... but could you describe more of where and what this pillar is? It is on level 9, right? If it wasn't... Bah... I'll wait for your response before I waste energy trying to riddle this out. There comes a point where challenge becomes an annoyance more than a pleasure. This is one such case.
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

Level 9 is centered around an at first concealed pillar. It can be reached from the North (from the ice lizard area), the East (past the Outer Sanctum) and the South (past the Pillared Hallway). I thought you already knew that since you wondered why these walls won't open.

At each side of the pillar is an alcove holding an item: North has a scroll, East has a key and South has a book. All items must be removed from these three alcoves (and they must stay empty!) to cause the walls around the pillar to rise and clear the path to the West. All other alcoves on this level are not important.
Torham Zed

Post by Torham Zed »

I may be missing the scroll. I will have to run around for a bit and find these things.

I wondered why the walls weren't open because I've never opened them before.

Thank you for your further explanation. I will check back in soon with my progress.
Torham Zed

Post by Torham Zed »

I'm not sure how or why... But the metal door containing the scroll of Lightning Bolt was open when I got there, and I was able to pick it up. At that point, the walls opened. Ye Gods... What a relief... Does that lever in the ice Lizard room open it? I can't imagine what opened it...

In any case, thank you. You've been very helpful. Now I'm off to delve deeper into this accursed clockwork labyrinth. Cheers!
Komag

Post by Komag »

Yes, that ice lizard lever controls that door :)
Finished Dungeons - complete mods to play
Torham Zed

Post by Torham Zed »

Yes. I figured that out. Thanks anyway.

Oh, and I finished the Game!! Huzzah! All thanks to you: Dr. Disaster!
SpoilerShow
I had to re-load about ten times trying to dismantle that blasted cube. Ah well.

I must say I feel accomplished. Kind of sick of looking at walls for a while. I don't think I'll have the heart to play again for a few days. He he... See you in the daylight, fellow adventurers!