level 8 Dismantler -- Herder battle help!

This is the forum for helping you out if you're stuck or if you want to discuss the nitty gritty details of the dungeons within Mount Grimrock. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Cornhuskermac

level 8 Dismantler -- Herder battle help!

Post by Cornhuskermac »

I've been pretty well cruising through the game so far, but I'm totally stuck at this battle. Every time my mage and rogue will die right away. I've been able to finish the battle with one fighter still alive, but that's pretty useless when you have another battle right afterwards against 2 Uggardians and Giant Spiders. I've already tried this herder battle like 30 times! There's no way around it, right? Also, if I can finish with just 1 character left, it looks like there's no way to get to a Soul Stone before that next battle.

I'd appreciate any advice anyone has.
Komag

Re: level 8 Dismantler -- Herder battle help!

Post by Komag »

You can back track from there all the way to a healing crystal, no problem (a bit of a hike maybe, have to go back to lv 7, then down the other part of 8)
Finished Dungeons - complete mods to play
Cornhuskermac

Post by Cornhuskermac »

Thanks, I really appreciate it! I didn't see a way to get to a Soul Stone the first time I was done with the battle, but now I'll look extra hard for it.
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

Well as Komag said you can go back to a healing crystal. The one on level 8 you prolly just missed, it's not too far away from the entrance one has to take to go for the Dismantler.

Yet this battle only seems tough in the first place. Just keep moving, don't get cornered, keep a poison shield up (if possible). Also killing the small hearders first helps a lot because due to their speed they are the most annoying of the bunch.
SpoilerShow
When you look further you'll notice that this battle does not need to be done in one go. The point is that you need to grab two keys, one to unlock the exit teleporter and one to go on. So once you got one of the keys you can just ignore the herders, head back to the entrance, unlock the teleporter, exit the area and heal up. Then have another go until they're all done.
braaimanook

Post by braaimanook »

Hello

Like you I battled on this one, I managed to do this battle by the following. Before entering the teleport fire up a Poison Shield and if you have another Mage, the Spell of Invisibility, then enter the portal. If you only have 1 then I suggest the Invisibility spell is the more important.

There are two keys both the same and you need only 1 to open the teleport gate. Locate either of the keys make your way back to the teleport, the keyhole is next to it. Open the gate and then it is a simple matter of going back and forth through the teleport until all of the herders are dealt with and you can then retrieve all that there is at your leisure.