Level 4 Archives Time and Tide puzzle

This is the forum for helping you out if you're stuck or if you want to discuss the nitty gritty details of the dungeons within Mount Grimrock. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
braaimanook

Level 4 Archives Time and Tide puzzle

Post by braaimanook »

Hi

I wonder if anybody else has had this problem which is preventing me from progressing. To recap in this puzzle, standing on a pressure plate with 2 pits in front of you, you listen for 3 clicks and then throw a dagger so that it gets caught in a momentary transporter, which appears above the 2nd pit, and lands on another pressure plate next to the transporter and so closes one of the pit doors.

Incidentally I am playing this on a Win7 64 machine.

What is happening is that the transporter is not placing the dagger on the pressure plate next to it, but next to me behind a grill, so the pit plate is not closing.

I have reloaded the game twice and the same thing happened on each occaison. Anybody have any ideas about this.

Thanks
Lmiara

Re: Level 4 Archives Time and Tide puzzle

Post by Lmiara »

I play on win7-64 and I didn't encouter any problem of that kind in the game.
Bees

Post by Bees »

The teleporter is supposed to put stuff in the cell next to you, and not the pressure plate at the other end of the room. The problem is you're throwing an item that doesn't fly far.
Lmiara

Post by Lmiara »

if I remember well I did use a throwing dagger, but maybe the op means a simple dagger ? if yes then Bees is right (just checked ^^)
Brude

Post by Brude »

Bees wrote:The teleporter is supposed to put stuff in the cell next to you, and not the pressure plate at the other end of the room. The problem is you're throwing an item that doesn't fly far.
^ It's this.

I had the same problem, OP. If you pick up an item from your inventory using the mouse and try to throw it, it won't work.

You need a character to equip a throwing or missile weapon and right click (as if attacking) at the right moment. IIRC, there's an alcove just off to the side that has a throwing knife or shuriken in it.
Goromorgs freak me out.
braaimanook

Post by braaimanook »

Brude

Thanks very much for your reply, that did the trick. I was throwing the knife not the character, onwards and upwards.

Thanks to all who replied most appreciated
Sunwolf

Post by Sunwolf »

What happens when you have no throwable weapons left?
You can't seriously mean this puzzle can only be passed with specific items?
All of the fricken weapons I can throw are in the cage to the left of this pressure plate?

Now what?

July 23rd - I'm needing the save game edited to get past this puzzle.
FYI: Without an equipable weapon to throw, you can't pass this puzzle.

Edit:
Aug 20th. YES - you can get stuck here without having any thrown weapons. Make sure you stock up.
As a side note - Darklord from these boards has been excellent. He was super helpful in un-sticking me :)
Erquint

Post by Erquint »

Throwing blades don't work. Bow does.
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

Erquint wrote:Throwing blades don't work. Bow does.
Every throwing weapon works as long as you use them from your weapon hand.
Dauntless

Post by Dauntless »