Level 7 Iron Door Note

This is the forum for helping you out if you're stuck or if you want to discuss the nitty gritty details of the dungeons within Mount Grimrock. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Ixnatifual

Re: Level 7 Iron Door Note

Post by Ixnatifual »

I don't think it's much of a problem to have twitch-based puzzles, as long as they are optional, like the iron doors. This way you can still complete the game no problem if your reflexes aren't up to par (or you're running the game on dated hardware).
forenaccount

Post by forenaccount »

Seriously, I tried for more than maybe 45 minutes now and I am quite annoyed by this stupid riddle. I know how it works, but I am totally not able to solve it due to whatever reason.
The timeframe to do it has to be tiny indeed and I enjoy a RoleplayingGame but do not such useless arcade parts.
I watched the Youtube-Video, I reduced all graphics options, I tried uncounted times and still I am not able to catch all 30 thingies. It sucks!
Sorry, but right now I am just dissapointed. Forgive me.

Is there a simple way to cheat myself into this door ot to get the stuff behind it?
Callipygous

Post by Callipygous »

forenaccount wrote:Seriously, I tried for more than maybe 45 minutes now and I am quite annoyed by this stupid riddle. I know how it works, but I am totally not able to solve it due to whatever reason.
The timeframe to do it has to be tiny indeed and I enjoy a RoleplayingGame but do not such useless arcade parts.
I watched the Youtube-Video, I reduced all graphics options, I tried uncounted times and still I am not able to catch all 30 thingies. It sucks!

Is there a simple way to cheat myself into this door ot to get the stuff behind it?
Make sure none of your characters are even slightly encumbered. You've probably already checked this, but, throwing it out there just in case.

G'luck
LiamKerrington

Post by LiamKerrington »

\/4n!ll4 ][c3 wrote:there are only 2 sequence puzzles that have the solution handed to you, both of which are on level 9, but i think the reason they are is because getting past them is required, and one of them would be damn near impossible to figure out on your own.
Yep. The "long" one ... ;)
At the end of my first time with "the Legend of Grimrock" - played on default-party, hard, old-school mode:

My first time
LiamKerrington

Post by LiamKerrington »

forenaccount wrote:Seriously, I tried for more than maybe 45 minutes now and I am quite annoyed by this stupid riddle. I know how it works, but I am totally not able to solve it due to whatever reason.

Hi.

The first time I was frustrated as well. I tried to write it down, to memorize it; I used all the technical tricks as well ... But my fingers were not able to use the keyboard in the proper way.
Then I stopped playing for the rest of the night, got some sleep, did something else during the major part of the next day (reading, preparing a YouTube show), and then I tried it again. And I did it in just a few attempts.
Two days ago I happened to have to solve it again, because I am on my second play-through with Toorum. This time my LoG-client was set to my default graphics-settings. And I just needed three attempts ...

So the cheat here is: Get some distraction and approach this arcade-puzzle another time while being relaxed and cool.

*lol* It just reminds me of my early days as a 'puter-gamer. Must've been funny to look at: A screaming, crying, infuriated youth who was disappointed about the game while being stuck at a certain point in a game, not realizing though that the "issue" was sitting in front of the 'puter and suffering from the heavy exceptional error E15 (Error sits like 15" in front of the screen) - yeah, that was me back then. *shrugs* And to be honest: I felt this urge, this temper, this anger rise up during my first attempts on this particular arcade-puzzle again ... :lol:

Luckily this arcade-puzzle is of no need for this game. It's just important if you like to complete 100% of the game. But is this even possible with respawning monsters in three different levels??? ;)

All the best!
Liam
At the end of my first time with "the Legend of Grimrock" - played on default-party, hard, old-school mode:

My first time
forenaccount

Post by forenaccount »

Callipygous wrote:

Make sure none of your characters are even slightly encumbered. You've probably already checked this, but, throwing it out there just in case.

G'luck
I feel pretty stupid now. Thank you for this good hint and I have to admin that it was nothing else than my own fault.
I made it in the first attempt after dropping a small box with 3kg from one of the chars. :oops:
Jay

Post by Jay »

I tried MANY times to get through this puzzle without success. Lowering all graphic settings to minimum and following various suggestions from this forum helped but I could still not make it through the entire sequence. Noticing that others had been able to complete the puzzle easily, I decided that either my reflexes had slowed dramatically with age, or my computer was too slow to handle the game. This seemed like a good excuse for an upgrade, so I changed from XP to Windows 7 and installed a newish graphics card (previously I was using an on-board graphics card). This made a huge difference and afer upgrading I was ecstatic (and relieved) when I completed the puzzle on my second attempt. So, to any gamers who have similar difficulties completing this puzzle (even after adjusting the graphics settings etc), I would recommend taking your computer specs into account before blaming yourselves.
LiamKerrington

Post by LiamKerrington »

Hooray! Congratulations!

And what a life: Someone's upgrading his 'puter in order to play a $15,-USD game properly! now ... That's the spirit! Just like the good ol' times.

This is so totally +1, you have no idea!
Nice!

All the best!
Liam

My first time
ripperknight

Re: Level 7 Iron Door Note SOLVED

Post by ripperknight »

Final solution:
Leave all your weapons and inventory on the floor. You will be light as a feather.
After trying hours, I decided to try in this way: the first chance was succesfull.

:-)